1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whining sound after shutdown

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rogerthat, Jul 8, 2016.

1. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday after a 45 minute drive home (GA and above 90 degree heat), I noticed a moderately high pitched whining noise after shutdown. The noise continued for about 5 minutes. From my understanding, the inverter coolant pump redistributes the coolant after shutdown and I have heard a humming noise previously which I assumed to be this action.

However, this whining sound was different and appeared to come from the passenger side of the engine compartment (I'm not 100% sure the noise emanated from the passenger side, but it sure sounded like it) which is the opposite side to the inverter coolant pump. I know the ICE water pump is on the passenger side, but it was my understanding that this pump does not run after shutdown. A few hours later I took the car for a short 5 minute ride and could not hear the same noise after shutdown.

Lastly, I also noticed a small amount of water that collected on the ground under the engine - I am assuming this is just condensation from the air conditioner unit, but I thought it was worth mentioning - clear non oily liquid - seemed to be water. Any help is appreciated.

2. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not an engine pro, but sounds like a leaky gasket. was the pitch constant, or varying, particularly before ending?

3. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think there was some variation, but I cannot honestly recall. I originally thought the noise was coming from my neighbor...but then after walking around my car I realized it was the Prius. I then popped the hood and the noise seemed to originate from the passenger side.

4. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my guess is water pump or thermostat. again, not a Prius ICE pro, but thermostat would likely be less expensive fix.

monitor the level in your reservoir closely, before and after trips. just takes a second to look. if you notice a drop after a day or two, you can focus on the engine cooling system.

5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The small amount of water mentioned in your final paragraph is most likely to be condensate from the A/C unit, and is perfectly normal ofter prolonged use of the A/C - hope this helps - Wil

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

7. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It just occurred to me. look for leaks on water hoses. be very careful, steam can burn you!

8. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2009 and only 60k miles on her. No noise today after driving in 90 degree + heat for about an hour. Can someone confirm that the ICE water pump does not run after shutoff. I have not noticed any leaking hoses.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The ICE waterpump is mechanical and only runs if the ICE is running.

10. Augustus88

Augustus88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Could it be the AC compressor decompressing after it stops running?
    Could it be the radiator cap allowing coolant to expand into the overflow tank?

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Gas tanks often have an emergency vent mechanism that'll activate on hot days, noticeable after shut down. And the liquid's very likely water condensate from AC use.

12. Fredii

Fredii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So whats the answer? The same happens with my 2009.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's been six years, and the older situation wasn't described in very great detail (no recording of the sound, say, and it wasn't even clear what the OP meant by "after shutdown" ... after the engine shut down, or after powering off the whole car?).

You'll probably get the best help if you back up a few steps and try to describe, as completely as you can, what your car is doing.

14. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep 6 years and the car is still making the same noise - very evident after driving with AC during a hot day and powering off the whole car. So I'm 99% sure its from the AC system - probably decompressing as Augustus88 suggested.

bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's interesting, i don't remember anything after shut down on my '08

16. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To be honest, I pretty much forgot/ignored the issue as the car still drives well and the AC works. However, now that this thread has resurfaced, I recall pinpointing the noise as coming from the below AC component - I recall wondering if this component was unique to 2009 models, but I never checked. Maybe some type of pressure relief valve or is this simply where refrigerant is added??

AC Component.jpg

bisco likes this.