1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whirling Noise from engine area

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sendsley, Oct 31, 2007.

1. sendsley

sendsley New Member

I assume this is normal, but thought I'd check with the experts. Occasionally I'll hear what is best described as whirling (spinning) type sound coming from what sounds like the left side of the engine or perhaps just under the steering column area. Most often when braking I believe. It's not overly loud but certainly can be heard. Normal? The list of "hybrid noises" in the manual was rather extensive so I assume this is one of them.

Thanks in advance!

2. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hard to say. I had a whirling noise and they fixed this under a recall for the brake actuator. Check w/ your dealer to make sure this noise isn't due to the brake actuator as I know they were having trouble w/ this.

As an fyi, my noise only occurred in very cold temperatures. After they fixed the brake actuator it kept occurring. They later determined it was the radio and replaced that. Since it's not been very cold since then, I'm not yet sure if the noise will occur again. Best thing is to take it in to the dealer, document a visit for the noise and see what they say. If it's a problem later, it's on record that you brought it in under the warranty period.

3. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottJayhawk @ Oct 31 2007, 01:20 PM) [snapback]533089[/snapback]</div>
    Do a Search for "odd thermos noise" and I think the result might explain what you are hearing.
    Gary

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi ScotJayhawk,

If the noise is asociated with braking and changes in pitch as you slow down, then thats is the Motor Generators (MG's) under load as they are used to slow the car.

If its a short bruuup type sound, its probably the brake system hydraulic pump. It occaisionally, and not neccassarily in synchrony with brake pedal usage, pumps up the pressure in the brake system accumulator.

If its more of a screech, and occurs on vehicle startup, its probably related to the engine coolant storage pump (or watever they call it). This is an electric pump that pumps coolant from the engine to the thermos (on shut down) and back (on startup). The screeching occurs in colder weather prior to failure. Although Efusco (Evan) will tell you its fine until it gets very loud. I have been lucky to not hear it on my car.

5. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's the brake accumulator pump. The Prius has electric power brakes, so it uses a small pump to build brake pressure. It does this because the engine does not run constantly as it does on ordinary cars. The brake accumulator pump will run once every three times or so when you press the brake. It's completely normal, unless it's running all of the time, or running when you are not braking.

Tom

7. farrellcsun

farrellcsun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    this thread came up while i was searching for a similar sound that i started noticing...

check out this thread: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3...mp;#entry533870

not sure if you all are talking about the same sound as discussed above, but it definitely sounds possible. the things in common: "whirling" or "spinning sound", "brake related", and "thought it was the radio/CD player"...the sound isn't like a "Squeak" which makes me think it's not the brake accumulator...but i could be wrong. anyways, i'll keep an eye out on this thread. Thanks, FJ.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The brake accumulator pump noise is more of a buzzing-clicking sound, "Badadadada", and lasts about as long as it takes to say the quote above. It's a little more of a rattle or buzz than what I have spelled out, but I don't know how to do it phonetically. The sound comes from low left on the drivers side, down in the foot-well area.

Tom