1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whirring noise from FR wheel after repairs (audio included)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by HaZeust, Apr 29, 2021.

1. HaZeust

HaZeust New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    Three
    Make, Model, Year: 2011 Gen III Toyota Prius

Diagnosis: Front Right Wheel Making Laborious/Whirring Sounds (as if something’s clipped to it) at when mildly accelerating

AUDIO (Both audio taken with mic at far right corner of dashboard):

- Wheel sound: Taken with reverb and audio focus.

- Wheel sound: Taken with regular mic, more akin to IRL sound.

Background:

Around 6 months ago, I hit a curb too hard with my Prius. After getting a new lower control arm, new strut, new brake pads, new tire, and new wheel bearing for my front right wheel, I am now hearing the noises in the video and as described. The ONLY repair I have not yet gotten that was recommended was a steering wheel alignment.

Details on the sound’s nature:

- The noise manifests itself most at mild acceleration. More pressured acceleration occasionally creates the sound, but the sound NEVER HAPPENS without the foot on the gas.

- When the sound manifests, applying greater pressure to the accelerator can change the sound from whirring/grinding to a knocking on occasion. Though this change is not all the time.

- The sound is fixed by accelerating further, taking the foot off the gas, or braking.

- The sound isn’t manifested while the car is idle,

- When the brake is applied, I feel nothing in the brake pedal, I feel no pedal shuddering when I break, the noise is fixed by braking when active,

Thank you!

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    A bad alignment will destroy a new wheel bearing fast