1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whirring noise while braking??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BethlehemPrius, Jul 12, 2007.

1. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

Ok I think I know the answer to this question, but asking it anyways.

I don't recall hearing this noise before, only lately, so not sure if you don't hear it when it is new or if their is something wrong with the car.... Anyways, when braking sounds like something is making a whirring sound, which I am assuming is the regenerative braking system, odd part is that I don't ever recall hearing it before, just turned 8k on my car last week so I know she is now broken in. I don't think it sounds like the brakes are bad or anything so I am assuming that has to be what I am hearing....

Any confirmations out there for me? Has anyone else noticed this later in the cars life but not right away..?

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine has a high-pitched note, which is somewhere between a whistle and a hum... very quiet, only hear it when I have the stereo off. I assume that it is a normal sound for the car.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The regenerative braking makes a whirring sound like that on a subway, when the traction motors are running. There is also another noise when braking, which is the brake accumulator pump. The accumulator pump runs about every third time you press the brake, and makes a kind of clicking or clattering sound down near your feet. Do you hear your noise every time?

Tom

4. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

Thanks for the confirmation, figured as much, but wanted to check with the crowd.

thx!

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't feel bad. Some people go for months without noticing the flashing car key icon on the dash when the car is OFF; and then one day they do notice it, and panic :_>