1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whistling Noise - Highway Driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jokem, Oct 11, 2012.

1. jokem

jokem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello!

I wondered if you all had any inputs to what could be causing a whistling noise (wind) typically when I'm driving at highway speed. I believe both speed and wind direction are a factor because I never hear the whistling noise at low speeds and at highway speeds, the noise can come and go.

I did some searching and found that people have found success with taping up the three holes underneath both side view mirrors. I covered the holes with painters tape but the whistling still remains.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Check that all the windows are actually up.

Sounds obvious, but often a passenger (or you) can knock their window switch when getting out and the window can go down a quarter inch. This is enough to allow a whistle but up enough for you to think the window is fully up when you glance at it. It's happened to me a fair number of times.

Failing that I have no idea.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would check all the trim front to back, did you just purchase the car? how long have you had it? when did the noise start?

4. ozarkretiree

ozarkretiree Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Check the bottoms of your side mirror housings. The rubber/plastic plugs can get knocked out and it sets up a loud whistle at highway speeds. I duck taped over mine to confirm the fix and then got used plugs at the salvage yard.

5. MikeBee

MikeBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    the way I fixed this I removed the speaker that was on the door up by the window, applied weather stripping, (purchased at lowes) applied the weather stripping inside, no more whistling!!!