1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

White console----Japanese perspective?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by KrPtNk, Feb 2, 2016.

1. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've only had mine for a month and it shows dust. I live in SoCal and I thought the glare was going to be unbearable. It's not noticeable.:)

2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congratulations!

3. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This seemed the most relevant thread for commenting on this, though I may mention it elsewhere. I have to share an experience that's turned me, if not 180deg, maybe 150deg in my opinion on the white console.

We don't drive around much at night (lifestyles of the dull and homebody), but coming back from a baseball game last night I needed to grab something from the center console and found it easily in the darkness. There were two reasons for this - the white console and the faint but continuous overhead illumination of that console by a LED in the overhead console (where the moonroof is controlled if you have ATP). I don't recall seeing this feature described anywhere, but looking through the owner's manual I'm pretty sure it's the "Shift Lever Light", intended to provide minimal illumination to the shifter so it's visible on the console. Thing is, it also illuminates the lower console area, making it very easy to see the cupholders and forward Qi charger tray.

None of this would be as visible if it wasn't white. While the applique kit wouldn't do any harm to the center console because of the white "peek-through accent" areas, I do wonder how it would affect the shifter area to have all the white completely covered by the black applique.

Anyway, it turns out that white console, ugly as it is, is pretty darned functional. I think I'm going to leave it alone.

bisco likes this.
  4. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Question: Is there also dust showing on the black plastic around the dash and entertainment system?

It might be a fact of life, that dust is going to accumulate. I know my current car is a testament to that :eek: and more! I hope to keep a soft cloth inside the car for frequent wipe offs. Kind of like the soft cloth I keep for my iPhone screen.

5. Vintage Pep

Vintage Pep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The bone console may have some use yet:

check the video out.............. it's kryptonite for the doghouse.

But all joking aside, I think the white is very modern, and progressive. It just wasn't practical for someone like me who work's out alot, has kids. It would get very dirty. Yes I could clean it but with full-time work and school, family i don't have much time. So I choose the dark interior. More of a practical decision.

#45 Vintage Pep, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
    ATHiker likes this.
  6. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Dust doesn't accumulate on the black parts as much as you would think. There isn't much black plastic so the dust isn't too noticeable. The screen glares in the sun though and the dust shows then.

PriUncut likes this.
  7. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    White is associated with purity and cleanliness in Japan. And it is used also in the Mirai, the car for the future (in Toyota's view of clean driving for the future).
    This is why they are using it.
    I personally find it positively unconventional and looking at it briefly I doubt it will turn yellow - it is made of very good quality (to the touch) plastic.
    I don't see where all the bragging about it comes from. Put a small patchwork blanket if you want on it, but enough about it already. It is different like the whole car is (thank goodness something different in a very very boring car market with a few very rare exceptions).
    I am honestly fed up of black everywhere, that attracts heat by the way and makes the car an oven of sorts. And I cannot even choose the interior color in Germany - it is only offered in (a very nice) black.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  8. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Making it an option would have been desirable.

I think the white looks cheap rather than upscale. Darker colors look more elegant. Rich wood or other dark colors would look much better in my opinion. The white fixtures were a major turn-off for me, and one of the main reasons we decided to buy a 2015 instead. I suspect the white will be come scratched and dirty over time. I also buy the yellowing story mentioned above.

The overlay, or applique as it is called, is expensive and doesn't cover everything. There is no applique for the steering wheel.

I was under the impression all models had the white. I wonder if there is a non-white steering wheel and console, in a model that has a spare tire? Toyota has created a mess of models this year.

vintagebob and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you really come back 5 months later for one last shot?:p

#49 bisco, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    RCO and krmcg like this.
  10. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We'll I've changed my opinion. I now like the moonstone white interior. It's grown on me and I've received several compliments. Also it doesn't seem to show dust. The black bits look dirty, but the white looks stormtrooper clean.

11. alexgrigori

alexgrigori Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    What if I do not like white as well as black applique which available for insane ~$100 price.
    I'd like to know how to take off this console and paint it in one of the color of my car interior - harvest beige.
    Any instructions on how to get it removed?

12. grape808

grape808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think it looks cool but it's possible because going in I had heard it referred to as Stormtrooper armor and I like Stormtroopers.

The dust is more noticeable on the dark parts and the Vader head unit.

alanclarkeau and bisco like this.
  13. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Consult your dealer. It's probably a $100 job to take it off.
    I imagine a heat gun would loosen the adhesive.

RCO likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Someone here did it themselves, and yeah I believe they used a heat gun. They said it wasn't too hard.

RCO likes this.
  15. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I'm with you. When I first saw it in a car on the forecourt of a dealer, I didn't like it. Now having had the car for nearly 4 months, I've dusted the black at least weekly, and when my Mum gets in the car she gets the dust cloth and re-dusts it. The white hasn't ever been dusted.

I want an all white interior, please.

14628151_10210596364362163_786003662_n.jpg

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Gloss anything shows dust, and fingerprints. Third gen's textured grey is mo betta in that regard.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sigh...

The base Two and Two Eco have plain black plastic steering wheel (the larger bottom part) and centre console pieces. Swap it if you like.

2nd Gen appliqué will cover the cupholders so it's all black (like it is in the Prime w/ black interior)

RCO likes this.
  18. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have automatic headlights, automatic wipers, automatic transmissions (hmmm), automatic DRLs, automatic DRCC ... when can I get an auto clean interior? Anti-static so it rejects dust settling, and accumulates somewhere it can be blown outside?

19. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We could have robot cleaning mice like in Fahrenheit 451. They'd hid while driving, but scurry about when you're not there.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny but the recent video about IONIQ (the guy with the German accent) shows IONIQ also went with the shiney bone white accents, though not quite so massively. I like my white to be on the exterior.