1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

White trim around charging pad cracking

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusRos, Aug 29, 2017.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After only a year, the white trim around the wireless charging pad is cracking in a couple of places and looking bad. The Toyota dealer said it is due to something dropping on it. He wasn't able to find a part number for it anyway. No, I haven't dropped anything on it and I don't think interior trim should break down that quickly. Has anybody else noticed a problem?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would call toyota, but maybe time for the black covers?

RCO likes this.
  3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I haven’t noticed a problem, but I don’t use the charging pad.
    How disappointing; dealers should be able to look up any service part. The part number for the upper console panel, 58821-47041-A0 (list price $121.51), is listed on this page; it’s labeled 58821C in the figure:

CONSOLE BOX & BRACKET. For 2016 Toyota Prius Four HYBRID | Toyota

pilotgrrl likes this.
  4. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Wrong part, I think.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  5. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I’m not sure I follow. The “white trim around the wireless charging pad,” not the charger cradle assembly itself, is 58821-47041-A0, which superseded the old number, 58821-47040. Here’s one for sale on eBay by a dealer:

Toyota Prius 2016 2017 White Lower Console & Shifter Bezel Trim Genuine OEM OE | eBay

The listing includes the 58821-47041-A0 part number, and their third photo shows the first ten digits of that part number embossed in the plastic; the last two digits, of course, are a color code that wouldn’t be part of a mold.

The mobile wireless charger cradle assembly (861C0-47010-A0) is a different part, of course:

TELEPHONE & MAYDAY. For 2016 Toyota Prius Four HYBRID | Toyota

6. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for all the replies. I had installed the black console applique accessory that covers the toilet-bowl white trim. However, the black plastic doesn't cover the white part around the charging pad. This is the part that has a crack. Looking at the pictures of the "white lower console bezel trim" in the link that Elektroingenie provided, it appears that the trim around the charging pad is part of this same console piece, which covers the cupholders, etc. Probably the tech looking at my console didn't realize what it was because the rest of the trim is covered by the black plastic applique.

I am certainly not going to pay $165 to replace it because of a small crack. My point was, I didn't feel it should crack that soon. They say it's because something was dropped on it so it won't be covered under warranty. I know I didn't drop anything on it, but if I call Toyota, they would just tell me that it's up to the dealer to determine if something is covered under warranty (I have talked to them about my more pressing issue, the PCS suddenly not working, discussed in another thread - and that was the answer they gave me).

bisco and RCO like this.
  7. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Maybe it got cracked installing the applique, pressing the adhesive pads ?

8. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, I installed the applique soon after I bought the car, and no it wasn't cracked then.

I only started actually using it to charge my phone since January, when I got a new phone that can use it. I had probably put things in it before, such as sunglasses and other odds-and-ends, but tried to avoid putting anything heavy that I thought might damage the charger. I know I didn't drop anything, but I can't rule out something happening to it when it was in the shop for hail-damage repair last year, when they messed up my car really badly (subject of an earlier thread). It could have been cracked then but only become more noticeable recently.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pcs broke and they won't warranty it?(n)

RCO likes this.
  10. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Large cracks can propagate later from small ones, so it may be difficult to say when it was initially cracked, but it could be someone in the body shop knelt or stood on it.
    Do you have any pictures ?

11. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  12. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree - it could have happened at any time and I wouldn't have noticed. The crack is in the lower part of the trim on the right.

IMG_20170830_ChargerTrim.jpg

13. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    That is very noticeable now, does it go right under the applique to the edge of the original white trim ?
    If you can't get any joy with Toyota, then maybe a white wax crayon rubbed in then polished off might hide it, or at least make it look a little better.

PriusRos likes this.
  14. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know how far it extends under the applique. I will try your suggestion to lessen it. Thanks!

kithmo likes this.
  15. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    After seeing the photo, I think @ATHiker was correct: the crack is in the plastic housing of charger cradle assembly itself, not the surrounding console trim. Here is a salvaged charger cradle assembly for sale on eBay, with photos: 2016 TOYOTA PRIUS CRADLE MOBILE ASSY 861C0-47010 | eBay

As far as I know, the assembly is sold only as a unit; the plastic parts are not available separately from the electronics.

RCO likes this.
  16. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. I think I'll live with the imperfection - and try and color it over. Certainly not worth $250!

kithmo, RCO, bisco and 1 other person like this.