1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whither the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DeadPhish, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jun 4 2006, 02:27 PM) [snapback]265651[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not debating they're different. I hear the Matrix is quite nice inside. :) However, you said the Prius is the only hatchback Toyota offers, and clearly it's not. Sure, the Yaris is a different size, but it's also a hatchback. Therefore your statement was somewhat misleading. A better statement would have been to say "The Prius is the only mid-sized hatchback offered by Toyota".

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 4 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]265658[/snapback]</div>
    Your disingenuous just came shining through again.

Again, you forced the concept of a label with some arbitrary definition (both don't have trunks), rather than acknowledging physical differences.

Prius has a near horizontal back. Matrix has a back that is nearly vertical. Those are undeniably different, no matter what label you apply. They are clearly NOT THE SAME.

Lastly, do you tell people those vehicles are the same when they ask about rear visibilty and carrying stuff on the roof ?

3. j24816

j24816 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(davidf @ Jun 3 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]265235[/snapback]</div>

I really don't know either, but I am pretty firmly in the traditional family mold, definately looking for the good, trusty, mid-sized car. I also have luddite leanings (I don't need/want the NAV, bluetooth, etc.). But given a choice between the Camry Hybrid or the Prius, the Prius is my choice.

It will be interesting to see how the market evolves. I suspect you will be proven right that the Prius becomes the proving ground. Time will tell.

4. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    John, why can't you just say that you meant the Prius was the only mid-sized hatchback Toyota sell in the US, rather than getting yourself into the absurd position of trying to deny that the Yaris is a hatchback?

Certainly the the Matrix is some sort of estate/station wagon/shooting brake thing, but if you really think the Yaris isn't a hatchback you seriously need to restart your medication.

In Europe, of course, you also get the Aygo, Corolla and Avensis hatchbacks, so the Prius isn't that exceptional at all (apart from being much better looking, IMO).

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Jun 4 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]265686[/snapback]</div>
    That's called undermining, a technique we've seen demonstrated many times now. He intentionally diverted attention from the original topic... the difference between a wagon and a hatchback. Heck, if I wanted encourage the loss of focus, I'd just point out that Echo has been available in non-sedan form for years in all but the United States.

Fortunately for me, my statement of one having a vertical back and the other horizontal still holds true.

That difference really does exhibit major importance when discussing visibility (pillars and split-window), carrying stuff both on top and on back, as well as available cargo height inside.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    By the way, did you notice how the mention of class was so easily dismissed? That's just not right, size alone does not make the vehicle. So I cannot say just "mid-size" alone. But I will gladly admit to the "mid-size" criteria if "class" is included as well.

I always resented the comparisons between Prius and Echo. A simple test-drive in each reveals a rather lengthy list of quality differences. But when reporters compared just on the basis of $$$ alone, people got tricked into believing all else was the same.

In summary, Prius is definitely unique enough to continue on its own.

7. Cully

Cully New Member

Until the Camry gets 50+, I don't think the Prius is going anywhere.

By the way, how old are you guys?

"It's a hatchback."
    "No it's not."
    "Yes it is."
    "Not it's not."
    "Yes it is."

Matt
    Denver