1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who designed the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by The Tramp, Apr 13, 2008.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but not all of us pronounce pig as peeg. :caked:

2. The Tramp

The Tramp Italian Prius Expert

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    According to Wikipedia, Calty designed the 1997 Prius, not the 2003.

The hunt is not over.

3. The Tramp

The Tramp Italian Prius Expert

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    These famous Italian designers have their own design studios, (da Silva is now employed by VW), work under commission and the head approved the work before returning it to the customer.

So my question is now: who designe the Prius that Hori San approved? :)

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Donee (cc: The Tramp),

I believe you're right. I read the preceding chapter on CALTY, then the main chapter on the design competition for the Body of the Prius, and then skimmed and searched through the remaining chapters of the book about the engineering of the Prius, and I conclude with 99% certainty that the body of the Gen II Prius (model years 2004 - 2008) was designed by Irwin Lui of CALTY.

The book was written in 1999, and it clearly seems to be missing a chapter. I think that missing chapter goes something like this:

--- The Gen II Prius body design by Irwin Lui and CALTY* was favored and chosen by Toyota to be the first body for the Prius.

--- Engineering and technical difficulties in integrating the HSD system with the Gen II Prius body caused Toyota to use/revert to the Echo sedan body for the Gen I Prius.

And then the 2004 revised edition of the book would have this as the Afterward:

--- During the years of the Gen I Prius, those integration difficulties were being worked on and overcome, resulting ultimately in the 2004 Gen II Prius, body by Irwin Lui and CALTY.

*EDIT/SUPPLEMENT: The book describes the Irwin Lui/CALTY design as a futuristic, flowing, 5 door hatchback design -- like a soft form egg on its side, with pressure gradually being applied to its ends until the emergence of its final form. Sure sounds like the Gen II Prius body design to me.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A