1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who disables the beeping

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by stanleyjohn, Jul 8, 2006.

?
  1. Who disables the backup beep

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. who disables the opendoor beep

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. who disables the seatbelt beep

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. who disables all or most of the above

50.0%
  5. who likes to play it safe and leave beeps alone

50.0%
  1. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Turned off the Prius backup beeper and have replaced it with a sonic detection system which beeps once when selecting reverse and then beeps from slow to increasingly more rapid when it detects anything behind the vehicle starting at 8 ft. including small curbs and out to about 45* either side. When an object is within 2 feet it produces a steady beep. In the two years of use we estimate it has prevented at least 50 possible accidents when people/children and/or shopping baskets suddenly appear from around adjacent vehicles and also assists in backing into parking positions,
    Gary

2. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Jul 8 2006, 01:57 PM) [snapback]283032[/snapback]</div>
    I think it should do both. Inside and out.

Beep Beep, Em Beep Beep, Em Yeah!

3. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stanlwyjohn @ Jul 8 2006, 10:32 AM) [snapback]283025[/snapback]</div>
    Did it yesterday, and will disable the seatbelt beeps -- didn't know I could till now. My wife told me I couldn't back up with her in the car which somehow didn't seem practical. We both always wear our seatbelts and don't need a reminder.

4. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000 @ Jul 10 2006, 08:24 AM) [snapback]283833[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, pushing the Park button before the Power button is redundant...However, if I always make myself push the park button when I am stopping for a while, it becomes an automatic action, so that when I am stopping the car for however long or short a time (not including stop signs or lights or stuff when I am indeed still actively driving), I am way less likely to have one of those "distracted" moments, like pulling over to mail a letter in the drive by mailbox, finding myself just a hair to far from the slot, opening the door to reach further and...ooopsss....now the car is sailing off into the street because I took my foot off the brake. Or something like that, which example, of course, I just entirely made up because of course I would never do anything as stupid as that, would I?

So--yup--that minute fraction of an instant of a second it takes to hit the park before the power button, I'll take it. It's taking advantage to the exceptions to the rules that'll kill ya, not using those rules even when not strictly necessary! If I never hit power (off) without hitting park first--then I REALLY don't have to think about it. Resistance is futile... [​IMG]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canuck @ Jul 10 2006, 09:11 AM) [snapback]283855[/snapback]</div>
    We had a rented Lincoln TownCar a few months ago in Boston that had one of these sonic detection systems. The friggin' thing would start beeping whenever anything bigger than Rhode Island was closer than about 30 feet away. We figured NOT having that was probably safer than having it, as the 3 of us in the car would likely have started trying to kill each other--and possibly succeeded--if we had had to listen to it for any longer.

Bottom line for me is--no regular and highly irritating noises inside or outside the car. Period. As to people/objects suddenly appearing behind us because of no engine sounds, well, that always happens in whatever vehicle any of us has ever driven--static objects are MY (as driver) absolute responsibility. Moving ones, ditto, except, well, people are gonna walk behind a car no matter how much noise it's making--they can be just as distracted/oblivious (or, for that matter, actually deaf) as I can (except for the deaf part). I am not going to drive myself or my neighbors any further 'round the twist than might already be the case just to prevent the VERY occasional occasion(!) that beeping might avoid. Hell, I might, just might, install an outsidely(!) audible ENGINE SOUND to my reverse gear, but nothing more. Better still--I STILL want my horn to use the Jaws shark theme--I'd consider using that same sound for reverse stealth mode! *I* am responsible for making sure I am making the best and safest use of my hybrid. This includes whatever modifications to MY HABITS I have to make--and this, for me, is NOT to add noise pollution to my environment.

And the seatbelt beeps don't bug me--for the driver's side to kick in takes long enough that I've only activated it once, and I rarely have a passenger, and then, if it comes on, well, I just get to say, 'Oh, belt up.'

5. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 11 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]284486[/snapback]</div>
    Too bad the Lincoln had such a poor system. Ours is made by Audiovox Electronics, Hauppauge, NY and does not detect anything outside the designed range of six feet ( I mentioned 8 feet as I didn't have the info available while I was posting). The few beeps we have to put up with are a price well worth paying to avoid the potential damage or injury,IMO.
    Whatever turns your crank, as they say! :D
    Gary

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canuck @ Jul 11 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]284497[/snapback]</div>
    Well, it PROBABLY wasn't anything bigger than RI closer than 30 ft, and there was PROBABLY a way to make it less sensitive (I THINK there was a way to totally disable it, but we only had the car for a few days, so spent more time playing with the xm radio...), but it was WAY more info than we needed! And, as you say, whatever turns your crank! I just cannot deal with any extraneous noises in the car, when I feel I am capable of taking car of what I need to take car of with my eyes. OTOH, if I was driving something as big as the TownCar on any regular basis, I sure as hell WOULD need all the ears and eyes I could get--which is why I stick with little things like the Prius, which is only a couple of inches longer and wider than my last car, a '91 Acura Integra--and if the Prius had been any bigger, I would not have bought it, since I do not like driving yachts! It's kind of a wash for me--if it was bigger, I'd certainly NEED audible cues; since it isn't, I don't need/want them.