1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who do you think you are?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Somechic, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(markymags @ Jul 27 2006, 12:33 PM) [snapback]293230[/snapback]</div>
    A Saturn Ion.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jul 27 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]293255[/snapback]</div>
    What do you mean by "don't leave yourself out on a statement like that."? I don't think I'm better than anyone but I also don't think I'm worse than anyone else. To clarify, I wasn't being judgemental when I made the comment to my co-worker. Yes, I was being a bit of a smart nice person.

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry I didn't quote, I was responding specifically to 'Kettledrum' as the conversation started to get a little more general in nature.

I don't think you handled the situation badly, and I don't think it's anything for either party to be upset about for more than a few minutes of fuming silently at your desk.

In my response to Kettledrum I was just trying to say that we can look for root causes of bad behavior in a lot of ways, but ultimately I think it's in our nature to behave badly in a lot of situations. Civilaztion both limits and encourages bad behavior, but I only meant to disagree that any current power structure could be to blame for some seemingly prevalent bad attitudes... which is not to say that I think we don't need a better role model in the white house ;)

3. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ Jul 27 2006, 05:33 AM) [snapback]293085[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like she's being snarky just because you weren't speeding (or speeding enough). Reminds me of the classic George Carlin line - "How come everyone who's driving slower than us is an idiot, and everyone who's driving faster is a maniac." Try that one on her.

4. Cully

Cully New Member

Sounds to me like she was just being friendly and making small talk. Why would you take something as simple as a wave hello and turn it into some sort of statement about the car your driving.

Matt

5. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cully @ Jul 27 2006, 03:31 PM) [snapback]293347[/snapback]</div>
    She didn't wave hello. Once we were in the office, she made the comment about how she sped past me. It wasn't like she beeped at me and I didn't wave to her.
    Her comment, "who do you think you are?" is what to me took it out of "joking" mode and made it more of a personal comment about the way I drive/car I drive. Granted, I'm not a mindreader, but that was my perception of the conversation.

6. mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 Junior Member

I am getting more and more used to EVERYONE asking me how many MPG I get, and getting the "really" look and remark...

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My favorite comment was when I was asked by the person I passed, "Why do you still drive so fast with gas costing so much?" and I got to answer, "That car that passed you uses no gasoline."

No harm, no foul. Just complete uncomprehension.

8. mastergunnera8

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Jul 27 2006, 10:24 AM) [snapback]293142[/snapback]</div>
    Bet he doesn't get 15 in a F250...

To the OP: It was more of a Smarta$$ answer than a judgemental one :p

9. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mastergunnera8 @ Jul 27 2006, 01:41 PM) [snapback]293392[/snapback]</div>

Ditto that. An answer I would have been proud to have come up with if I were ever approached in that manner and was quick enough to come up with such a witty answer. :D

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got some info from my Mom today. (More accurate than my Dad.)

The Caddy has been misfiring (for a while) and needs new spark plugs. She says it's been getting around 10 mpg. It usually gets 15 mpg. AHA!

But I digress.

My conversation would have gone something like this:

Non-hybrid driver: I saw you driving this morning. Did you see me speed past you?
    Me: No. (walk away.)

or

Non-hybrid driver: I saw you driving this morning. Did you see me speed past you?
    Me: Yes. (and walk away.)

It might even have gone something like this:

Me: No. (or yes) (I start to walk away.)
    N-H D: What?! Come back here. Who do you think you are to talk to people that way?
    Me: I'm a librarian. Your point?
    N-H D: You are so judgemental. Gas isn't free where I live.
    Me: No, it's $3.16 a gallon where I am. What are you paying?

or No, it's $3,16 where I am. But it must be free where you are since you're wasting so much of it speeding around. And that minute and a half you saved was just wasted talking to me in the parking lot. Excuse me. I don't want to be late.

Any more lip and I'd point out how her speeding only increased her cost at the pump. She could improve her mileage by keeping her air filter clean, tires inflated, A/C off, windows up, ease up on those jack rabbit starts, coast to stop lights and drive 55.

11. molgrips

molgrips Member

Can someone shut this smart-arse up?

Electricity free where you live? Is all your energy zero-carbon generated?

WE KNOW you drive an EV that you can't get any more and costed a ton when you could, okay?

;)

12. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mastergunnera8 @ Jul 27 2006, 04:42 PM) [snapback]293394[/snapback]</div>

Why not? I get 17 in my F-350! Sounds like you have some mis-understandings of gas mileage.

13. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Jul 28 2006, 05:12 AM) [snapback]293727[/snapback]</div>
    Umm. Yes his electricity is free where he lives.

"who do you think you are?" Why "Mr. Big Shot" of course.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Jul 28 2006, 03:51 PM) [snapback]294026[/snapback]</div>

lol.. you guys are funny.

15. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds to me like you struck a nerve. Well done. It also sounds like N-H D didn't handle it too well.

- Doug

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Jul 28 2006, 05:12 AM) [snapback]293727[/snapback]</div>
    He's got Photovoltaic panels on his roof.

He generates his own electricity.

So, yes. It's free.

You could have had a similar EV too. $55,000 on eBay.

17. mastergunnera8

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Jul 28 2006, 06:33 PM) [snapback]294015[/snapback]</div>
    Powerstroke driving on level ground with an experienced Prius driver, maybe... :lol:

BTW, sold my full size crew cab truck to get my Prii...

18. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ Jul 27 2006, 08:33 AM) [snapback]293085[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe I'm missing something (don't know either of you or your respective facial expressions) but it seems to me that you both overreacted.

When she asked whether you saw her speed past you, I didn't see any judgment on your driving or your car, merely that SHE was the one speeding by. I don't know what the intent of her comment was, but yes, your comeback could be seen as judgmental because you were pointing out her gas guzzling ways. My answer might have been more along the lines of, "Yeah --you looked like you were in a hurry!" However, I don't think it was necessarily what you said that set her off, but the manner in which you said it (again, I can't judge that since I wasn't there) and the fact that you walked away -- thereby making it a definite retort and not part of a teasing banter.

Again, I don't know the manner in which she approached you and what her intent was. Why did you see it as a taunt? You indicated that you used to talk to her on a regular basis -- well, had she ever made any snide or judgmental comments about you driving a Prius?

19. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ Jul 27 2006, 07:54 AM) [snapback]293166[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Jul 27 2006, 09:09 AM) [snapback]293210[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rand Reed @ Jul 27 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]293250[/snapback]</div>
    ...but, being a Jersey Grrrrlll...watch out for the gun in her purse in case that enters into her ideas of, um, pre-boarding... ;)

20. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All the guys in my office used to rib me about my driving habits (I do not speed). One day we were breaking from lunch I told one of the guys I would see them in the office in a bit. He joked and said that he would meet me there instead because I was so slow in the hybrid. I managed to pile in about 3 others in my car and we headed off. As usual the guy sped past me. Then about 1 mile out we saw flashing red lights and though there was an accident.

A cop caught him speeding. He managed to get back in the office about 30 min later. Of course the whole office burst out laughing when he showed up. Never heard another joke about my grandma driving again. :D