1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who has done their recall?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cary1952, Feb 15, 2014.

1. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the information. Your observations are interesting. I'll be taking a 160 mike round trip this weekend so I'll be able to make some assessments. I've made this drive many times, so I'll have a good basis for comparison. I'll be sure to let everyone know the results.

WE0H likes this.
  2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If others continue to notice the response similar to yours above this will help those of us that have the opinion that this "fix" will be limiting the Boost Converter voltage, the rate-of-rise of the voltage, the current or some form of I2T . It will be interesting to hear from someone that can monitor Voltage After Boost and HV Battery amps before and after to help verify.

WE0H likes this.
  3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just clicked off a 38 mpg average 2 hour run from Cleveland to Maumee Ohio. I was running 76 mph on cruise with 50F outside air temp. I have never been able to drive a Prius this low of mpg. Tires are at 44 psi all around. I am not impressed one bit with the update :( The car is silly slow accelerating on ramps too :-(

Mike

Somewhere on my phone ;-)

4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is exactly what I am seeing during regular acceleration; the meter is either pegged to the right or well into the Power Zone. I seriously doubt this car could meet the factory published mpg figures anymore. This update is a disaster :-(

Mike

5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The dealer my also have seen a way to make some cash from Toyota off the warranty. You will never know.

WE0H likes this.
  6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just clocked a 37.4 mpg run for the last hour. Cruise set at 76 mph OAT 50F. Noting that the car still gets us from A to B but mpg's are pathetic and the acceleration is lame.

Mike :-(

7. dhowlan

dhowlan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I can finally update on this. Got the car back on Friday, so that's 2.5 weeks. Not sure if the discussion with the customer relations manager earlier in the week helped. The replaced parts were G9200-49025 Inverter nice person'y, W/ and 89681-47088 Computer, Power M.

Ironically, the car wasn't there for the recall. It was there to get tires and the recall was an afterthought. And the reason we won't be returning to that dealer for service had to do with the tires as much as the recall. First, they misquoted (by over a hundred dollars a tire) what it would cost. Then, they changed the 1.5 hours for the tires to 6 hours, plus 2 hours for the recall. Add to that the complete lack of communication/information on what the result of the failed software upgrade would be. And all of this from a dealership we have been using for about 10 years. It's just gone downhill in our experience and this visit topped it all. Actually, what topped it all was the fact we got the car back sans valve stem caps on any of the tires. Good job guys.

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    54.8 mpg for a few miles but drove 55 mph and less. So the car is still capable of good mpg's if you have the time to get there...

Mike

9. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If yours is a US spec 2009 I'm not sure that you're included in the recall anyhow.

10. sxu

sxu New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Issues after recall.
    I got a new 2014 Prius two a month ago to replace my 2006 Prius. The car was not driven first month. I did recall service at 230 miles two weeks ago. After that, my car got the following issues:
    1. A high pitch noise from generator. I brought the car back to the dealer who did recall service. The noise is confirmed by a technical person who never hear of that kind of pitch noise and doesn't know how to fix. He will call Toyota for solution. I then brought the car to another dealer (My car is currently in this dealer). The noise is confirmed by a technical person who said it is very difficult to find the issue and fix it. The issue may never be fixed because Toyota may not allow to replace generator for that kind of noise.
    2. Wheel Hub got bad at about 300 miles which is confirmed by the second dealer who have ordered the part for fixing both wheel hubs.
    3. Noise from back when the car travels at speed at between 55 to 65 which is confirmed by the second dealer but he don't know what causes the noise.
    Please help me and tell me what I should do. Is it reasonable for me to ask Toyota to replace my car if pitch noise cannot be fixed or generator must be replaced?

Thanks in advance.

11. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know what your high-pitched noise sounds like but mine makes an electrical buzzing sound inside the engine compartment with the car on. I think this is normal.

12. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Done with the recall on Saturday. it took ~2 hours *yawn*.

two differences that I feel:
    1) On power mode, I can not get continuous "power" feel. this is kind of a limiter that put after done with recall.
    2) hitting Brake pedal is more ICE car, do not fell jerky braking during regen to real brake.

1* well. this is a side effect , I guess....
    2* I prefer brake feeling after done with this recall. :D

still testing with MPG for 1 week.

13. sxu

sxu New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The high pitch can be heard when you sit down insider the car with close windows and doors. It is kind of "slight sharper" noise and like someone whispers near your ear all time. I have tested another two 2014 Prius cars in dealer. None of them has that kind of noise.

14. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Post a video with the sound turned all the way up and let us hear it. If it's that bothersome you should be able to pick up the sound.

15. PriusNP

PriusNP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just got mine today. All smooth took 3 hrs total but included my oil change and NY state inspection plus get adjust to one beep for reverse and recall.

I've driven it and feels about the same if it's different. It most likely is minimal

16. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    On your first post further up the thread, I thought it might have something to do with your rental. Maybe someone beat the tar out of it and it's just not running well. Now that others have chimed in with similar issues, this doesn't bode well for the recall. Wonder if Toyota is aware of it or if they even care, given the warranty implications.

WE0H likes this.
  17. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On my way back from work I confirmed the decreased acceleration at the top of ECO zone. When it was mostly OK before in slow moving traffic, now it is barely acceptable.

There are 2 other things that I observed. Sudden push on gas pedal to the max while being stopped (I had to do it twice to turn left while yielding in a busy intersection) now gives less instantaneous (ie electric) power with no or little wheel spin. Before, the wheel spin was very noticeable with stability control working hard to control it.

Finally, there a new high pitch inverter noise while I transition from glide to pulse. I drive in city most of the time and do lots of those pulse to glide and vise versa transitions. This is a new thing.

My conclusions: the software flash is nut just a bug fix, but it changes how inverter works in daily city driving. Probably less noticeable on hwy, unless one pushes the car to the max. It's not necessarily a bad thing as it will positively impact battery life and maybe even MPG.

Today, I got better than average MPG, but weather was also warmer a bit.

WE0H likes this.
  18. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some better mpg news... This new software is very speed sensitive for gas mileage. 76 mph is a complete joke for mpg's as I posted above. I drove about 60 miles tonight on cruise set to 68 mph with 45F OAT and the car reported 49.4 mpg on the display. Much better. That was running PWR Mode. I also did a test driving thru Chicago today in traffic and some 55 or so mph highway running. In PWR Mode the car was maintaining my 30 sumthing mpg tank average. I switched to ECO Mode and the tank average started creeping upwards. This to me indicates this new software gives better mpg's in ECO Mode verses PWR Mode. More testing needs to be done... But,,, the car was a freakin turd running in ECO Mode. Very frustrating trying to drive the car normal in traffic in ECO Mode because of the ridiculously slow acceleration. We know how people get mad at the Prius with the original software. This new software may create a new rage against the car since it is a serious turd now :-( Amazing there wasn't some real world testing done before releasing the current update. Prius was awesome. Don't pull out in fast traffic or you may get rear ended 'cause you can't get the car moving quick enough after the update.

All my posts are my opinion. Your mileage will differ and you may think the car is a rocket. This is just my testing on a 2013 Hertz rental with 29k miles on the clock. My wife will drive this car by herself next week and she has 10's of thousands miles driving 3rd Gen's so she knows what the Prius was capable of before this software update. Last week she complained of her rental Prius low mpg's when she drive it all week in metro Detroit. That was a different car with Illinois plates. Our rental now has Minnesota plates.

We need some boost voltage measurements of a before update and after update. I could do some measurements on our rental later this week with my ScanGauge II. Someone please post the PID code for boost voltage.

Mike

19. fight

fight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine is 09 EU spec, similar to ur first P3 ;-)
    Done recall yesterday, nothing notices from now but keep logging with torque to compare in few weeks ;-)

20. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Then fill in your location on your profile and that way advice and comments can be adjusted for the correct market. The gen3 Prii are virtually identical in Europe and the US, but not 100% the same.

You'll have a much happier user experience of the forum if you do :)

WE0H likes this.