1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who has done their recall?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cary1952, Feb 15, 2014.

1. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's like if you're having problems, keep them to yourself. LOL

douglasjre and WE0H like this.
  2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly. That is why I never talk about my car's moonshine addiction ;)

Mike

wanderin around on my phone :)

douglasjre likes this.
  3. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would say, the brake system can handle increased load.
    just the brake pad life is shorten.

I do not feel ICE is running harder with my new Prius driving habits.

my previous car.
    believe me or not, I change oil on my previous car ~12-15K miles with synth mobile 5w-30 for 11 years, before I sold it. the orginial brake pad replaced after 6 years with aftermarket pads, and replaced again with aftermarket pads after 4 year and . Total brake pad changes was two times with aftermarket pads.
    No major leaking or consumed engine oil, just major leaking on transmission :(.

on my wife Sienna:,
    Brake pads life is a bit shorten due on mini-van weight (my guessing).

WE0H likes this.
  4. BrianPB

BrianPB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That sucks! I didn't even know about the recall until I was at my dealer (Frontier Toyota) getting an oil change and they asked me if I wanted it done. If you don't mind the drive Frontier Toyota in Valencia is good or Hamer Toyota in Mission hills.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Call Toyota Corporate. They will change that dealership's attitude very quickly!

WE0H and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see only the Kalifornia owners have to drink the Koolaid on this recall. The letter says nothing about the other states ;)

Mike

7. Nutstoyou

Nutstoyou Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  8. wbray123

wbray123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mine was done yesterday. So far I like it.

9. Levelheadsteve

Levelheadsteve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2010 and a 2012 and I haven't received a notice in the mail for either one yet. Is it possible that neither of mine were affected?

10. egodestruct

egodestruct New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Nope, virtually all of the Gen 3's are affected (except for plug-ins and the very recent 2014 builds that already had the fix from the factory). My guess is that they are staggering the letters so that dealerships don't get overwhelmed all at once.

I checked on the Toyota owner's website and my Prius is eligible for the recall, though I have not received a notice in the mail yet.

11. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kalifornia requires the update or they will not renew your license tabs.

Mike

12. glen68

glen68 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From what I've been reading it's a voluntary recall so there's a good chance they won't send letter's

SPH-L710 ?

13. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel bad for not doing the 0-60 times before and after. I just didn't have access to a place where it could be done safely. But, I forgot that Torque app can measure max acceleration! Unfortunately, now I can only do "the after" part.

Is there anyone who didn't do the recall who has an access to the torque app for the "before and after" experiments?
    It can count as a school science project, no?

14. LlF

LlF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called Toyota Canada CSR
    she says it is a safety recall, as opposed to a performance recall, so it's strongly recommended.i ask if I can skip it... Well it won't void the full warranty, but if down the road the components related to this were to break, then it's my responsibility.
    Ok, then how long is this recall going to last? There is no time limit, (yet)

15. LlF

LlF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have the torque app but I plan to film a 0 to 120 kmh before and after. Not a school science project, more of an elementary school after lunch project.

Former Member 68813 likes this.
  16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is absolutely true.

But I blame Toyota.

Outside of a rather detached and general description of both the problem and the "resolution" in the form of a software update...read change....the specific details of what that software change IS and what it specifically is changing is almost non-existent.

Which doesn't make me feel good.

When Toyota did the brake software update...again read change...at least as owners we were told that it was a recalibration adjustment to change braking feel.

With this change...we are just being told transistors can overheat and fail in specific situations and this update will prevent this from happening. But we are being given no information as to what parameters are actually being changed and to what degree.

I think as owners being asked to "change" our purchased and owned vehicles we have a right to more disclosure in regards to this "update".

If we knew more precisely what the software update was changing or adjusting...and maybe even more specifics, then that would curtail all the "Gut Feel" speculation either Pre-Inspection or Post Inspection.

But given Toyota's hesitancy to do so? That leaves a lot of owners to simply rely on "feel" after having the update.

I'm going to have the update done shortly...I can tell you how I "Feel" the vehicle performs in relationship to Pre-Update vs. Post-Update BUT...since I'm not comparing it to any known or established or admitted parameter this update is changing, it's simply going to be more of the becoming "insane"....I "think" this....gut feeling.

I wish Toyota would disclose more specifics in regards to the software change. The fact that they are not...makes me believe that parameters are perhaps being changed that Toyota would rather NOT tell owners are being changed....

But again..even that reaction...is pure speculation. I blame Toyota for forcing me into a situation where so much speculation is all as owners we have...

WE0H and jdcollins5 like this.
  17. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    What else would we post about if Toyota did a full disclosure? Anyway, -most- members of this forum wouldn't understand even the nomenclature of what they are doing.

Get the update done and be happy, or don't and worry you -may- -eventually- have to pay for a new inverter. You -DO- have a choice!

"Feeling lucky punk?" ;)

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I doubt it. That's sacred, LOL.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've set up for ours to get the update Friday morning, have the letter. Gotta say I'm looking forward to this much like a root canal appointment, from what I'm hearing here...

It sounds at least in part to be a patch for an engineering shortcoming, that it will reduce performance and/or mpg, to protect that shortcoming. And if you don't get it, do they nail you if something does happen to the inverter? Of course.

20. crabbyman

crabbyman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I get a chance I can do the "before" on my 2014. I have Torque I just have not set it up yet. Is there certain things I should set up?