1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who has done their recall?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cary1952, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Daddyjeph

Daddyjeph Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    got mine done this past saturday along with my 10 K service. eoe recall fixed..added about 45 minutes to the whole time. dont notice anything major visually...

2. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Got mine done last week along with the Brake Booster replacement all in all it was done in less than four hours.

The dealer quoted me 42 minutes for the software update.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect that the majority if not all those issues are coincidental and/or not related to the recall software update at all.
    From what little Toyota does share about the recall and what the software is directly affecting I don't see how dome lights, air conditioning, and door locks could be affected.

The specific wording of the recall is worded as "E0E-REFLASH MOTOR GENERATOR & POWER MANAGEMENT ECU-PRIUS". How that would affect any of the peripheral and direct accessories is beyond me.

I imagine, it's people having the recall done, then noticing problems that may of already existed and/or just happened to manifest shortly after- coincidentally.

I'd be interested to hear if Toyota admits to..or anyone can prove a direct link between the software update and failures of those peripheral accessories or systems.

4. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not so sure the update has created a placebo effect. The car definitely seems to be sharing less battery power when accelerating in the top half of the power bar. I have to drive EXTRA cautiously to come even close to the mpg I was getting with casual driving before. It was nearly impossible for me to get under 42 mpg even with really poor throttle management. Now for the first time ever I'm seeing numbers below 40 with poor driving and it's a real struggle to keep 50 even with semi decent management. It used to be easy, now it's much harder (though still doable, but with much slower driving speeds)

With accelerating in general, with slow acceleration, (about 75% of the bar) I see the mpg meter drop to 25 or way less now, when normally it would easily stay 25 or above. It appears to be using much more gas than it used to be. I can definitely see power management changes here. It simply appears to not be using the electric drive nearly as much as it used to to aid with acceleration. Was this their fix to keep the inverter from overheating?

5. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Specific situations.
    I'm thinking in the case of AC "acting funny" or Dome Lights not working right...that's probably placebo effect.

Yes the software "change"....I don't like calling it an update or upgrade...it's really just a change, has changed parameters applied to the vehicles operation. Exactly and precisely what they are...Toyota isn't telling us.

6. Peter Dayeh

Peter Dayeh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Took my car in this morning for a 15k service as well as the recall. Appointment was for 9am, and it's now noon! Still waiting in the lobby. Did they lose my car?? Am I getting a new one??? :p

7. Peter Dayeh

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update - feels the same lol.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So what was their excuse?

9. Peter Dayeh

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't bother to ask :/

WE0H likes this.
  10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wonder if they went out for a donut run ;)

Mike

wanderin around on my phone :)

11. Peter Dayeh

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jerks didn't leave any for me! :mad:

12. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did they leave any crumbs in your car? I remember when I first bought my Prius, it came back from the delivery detail with random coffee spots along the side of the center console that weren't there during the test drive.

13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bunch of meanies :(

Mike ;)

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have been screamin nice person pissed.

Mike

15. Peter Dayeh

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WHO does that????

16. afob3

afob3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Got mine done yesterday afternoon. When I made the appt. they asked me to be sure the trunk was cleared out to provide access. Oil, Tire rotation, free car wash, and recall in an 1.5 hours. They even took 10 bucks off with my coupon from the other dealer in town.

Watching carefully mpg's seem the same. Regen braking seems weaker from higher speeds. Placebo stuff perhaps. If I hadn't been following this thread I probably wouldn't be "looking" for something different. On previous cars when the 12v battery is disconnected the computer would have to 're-learn' your style of driving. Perhaps this is similar.

17. situationalawareness

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    After a bit of time driving after my last post, I can definitely say that for my car it's night and day. I bought mine in July of last year, and it got 45-50 mpg from the beginning. I blamed it on the 17 inch wheels, since it wasnt a huge mpg shift. Now, I range 55-57 mpg, same routes. It was instantly after the time in the dealer for the recall "update". I'm not complaining at all, it feels more like my older 2011 I had before this one. The battery even lasts longer when running in non-manual EV mode on the roads. Whatever it is, I'm cool with it.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ I'll chime in with the above. Having driven a bit more post-recall, I'm finding it's slipping into electric-only more easily, staying in it longer, and apparently ( and somewhat strangely...) holding charge better. My only concern is that it's taxing the battery more, not sure. The trip meter indicating liters/100 km migrated downwards post-recall (good) and is staying down.

19. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay...two weeks since the recall was performed.
    Lots of City, Highway driving.

I honestly notice no driving difference. The acceleration seems the same to me.

The only thing I'd admit to noticing is I think the battery charge indicator is reading higher. Don't know if The Prius is actually keeping the battery charged higher, or simply if the calibration has been changed so it reads higher.

If there is a difference in torque, acceleration, or the dance between the electric motors and the ICE...then it is all so subtle that I can't discern it. There may Priests in the Chapel of Prius that can....I am not one of them.

My MPG has improved...but as Spring approaches so has the weather, so I can't tell if the improvement has anything to do with the recall or if it is just the normal improvement one see's when temperatures improve. I can say without hesitation that my MPG have not gotten worse.

For me personally I'm putting it to bed. Recall done...and I'm not sweating it. Still awaiting my recall letter...probably got it done too quickly and now I'll never get it.

Sporin and glen68 like this.
  20. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well that sounds like a good change Mendel. :) Guess I will take the chance. I notice with my Prius I have to help it into EV by coming off the throttle and back on when bars disappear. Not sure why this is. I did block my bottom grill the other day and this has made a big difference on warm-up time. The ICE runs at 184 degrees now and up to 195. Not such a hit FE wise with warm ups. :) H