1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who has done their recall?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cary1952, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Ginto

Ginto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello new to this forum but noticed that my 2010 mpg's dropped slightly (updated march 2014)as well and I noticed that the gas engine runs at times on down hills with full charge and no AC/Heater on. was getting 48mpg's no get 45-46 same commute for nearly 3 years with the car.... did any on else notice the engine running when it did not before?

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It will do that normally. It can run more often if someone is blocking the vent in the rear seats (even if they say they weren't :) ) as the HV battery can overheat.

It also depends on your mileage. If you're at 210k miles, then it could be a sign your HV battery is near the end of it's life. The first and cheapest thing to check if your mpg's are dropping is your 12v. There are many threads on here about this and how to check it. If not, google "prius 12 volt problems priuschat".

3. Ginto

Ginto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks... not passengers 95% of the time seats up or lying down no difference has been doing it for since last March (about 45K ago) just figured it cycle more to cool the inverter, come to think of it I have not noticed the cycling since the temps dropped out here in SoCal.

4. Stangar

Stangar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After the update, mileage decreased by 4+ mpg. The car is even slower. I have 106,000 miles on her and there is a clear difference between before and after the update. Raised hell to return it to previous status and they said no way. Rat Bastards. They need to fix the problem and not mask it with lessened performance/mpg. Don't do the update!!!!!!!!!! . . . or be ready to dislike your car. Class action will be the only way they react responsibly.

j12piprius likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just for some feedback: the software update to protect the inverter seems a crap shoot. Our mpg went up after the patch, slightly. The car became easier to tip into electric-only. But a few people report results like yours. It does seem a mess, their "Honda" moment.

6. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My mileage dropped enough that I just lost interest in driving the car anymore. I drove it for about 9 months after getting the update, and was no long excited about the mileage I was getting. Considering the only reason I was driving the car was for great mileage, I decided to just trade it in for something different... which I did a few weekends ago.

j12piprius likes this.
  7. Stangar

Stangar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I hear you brother. What did you get to replace it?

8. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4. Total opposite end of the spectrum :) My wife has a Prius C, so we still have a fuel efficient vehicle in the family at least.

9. Stangar

Stangar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds good. However, I won't be buying another Toyota after this fiasco. Their loss after 7 previous new car purchases. They really pissed me off.

j12piprius likes this.
  10. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol, you said that with a straight face? lol

The mpg's settle down after a little while. I grumbled at first too, but now I'm happy again. I think the programming just does things a little differently but gets the same results. Give it 500 miles or so.

11. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I gave it 10,000 miles ... and it didn't really change much.

12. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can't please everyone I guess. Good luck with your Kia or Ford or whatever floats your boat.

13. Stangar

Stangar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If they can get that excited over out of place floor mats then class action lawsuit over this shouldn't be too difficult.

14. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I had a 2011 Prius Two. My mpg increased after the recall. I had no noticeable loss of performance. Some people report the opposite.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Some are getting positive results, post recall, likely the majority. A few report marked drops. I think it's unfortunate the latter are getting stonewalled by Toyota and the dealerships.

16. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The service department at my Toyota dealer told me when I took the car in for the recall that after it was done I would notice no difference in performance and I did not. Strange that some people notice differences.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I did notice something, a slight increase in the ease it slipped into electric-only. I didn't mention this to my wife, but she noticed and commented on the same thing, within maybe a week of the update.

There was also a "Check Hybrid System" warning, immediately upon picking up the car; they ran it back in and resolved that, somehow.

Yeah, it seems callous and short sighted, to dismiss reports as delusional, from folks with adverse outcomes.

18. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My calculated MPG is in the mid 30's since I had the recall done. It may be my last prius also.

19. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Terrible! I probably would not buy another one either if I had your experience.

20. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is hard to believe. Toyota will not investigate your problem. H