1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who has done their recall?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cary1952, Feb 15, 2014.

1. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Areas I suspect are modified for the recall procedure:
    ECU slots.JPG Techstream port.JPG

2. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mediahound, I've seen techs plug into the ODB port with a Techstream when I got my reverse beeps and other annoyances turned off. There's no way to be sure, but if an ECU needs to be reflashed for a recall, you'd think that is where they'd do it. If not, then the techs must somehow reflash the ECU(s) in place, or extract them to do the reflash, IMO.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Accessed, not modified. ;)

5. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Agreed "accessed" to modify the software :)

6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They don't call it the diagnostic port without reason.

7. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Inverter devices running too hot. Hybrid ECU update: likely turning down the inverter drive which would mean less hybrid drive. Less draw on the high voltage battery and people reporting their battery meter showing higher charges all the time.

Motor ECU update: likely turning up the wick to compensate for the hybrid drive reduction. Could explain why people report lower mpg's after the updates yet not feeling any performance difference.

Wish someone could get their car on a chassis dyno before the update and after. If there were a reduction in the hybrid drive and changes in the gas motor to add power, the torque curve on the dyno would likely be different than before the updates.

My car can't come out of winter storage until June or July so I will not be able to get the updates done until then.

Mike

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got married in Hell Michigan last summer. Hell is a pretty cool town [​IMG]

Mike

sfv41901 likes this.
  9. Spindifferent

Spindifferent Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yes, the Toyota Owners website does indicate it in the service history. Takes a few days for the service history to update after any service.

10. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

My son lives in Grand Rapids, Mi. and it's colder than Hell, of course it's a little farther north.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

BinaBomb, retired4999 and WE0H like this.
  11. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has anybody noticed a decrease in mpg's after this update?

12. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I've actually noticed an increase in MPG, at least according to the Automatic app/dongle that I use. The in car MPG seems to read the same.

We all won't really know for sure though until our next full fill up and calculations.

WE0H likes this.
  13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was my concern, reduced mpg's with the flash. Hope it stays the same. It sure would throw out my thoughts on what was done in the software.

Mike

14. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just had mine done this morning and on the way home I picked up a screw in my tire. It sounded like the tire was coming apart. Hope this recall doesn't have some sort of electromagnetic anomaly that attracts road debris (Just Kidding).

I will be monitoring fuel consumption for any changes though.

crabbyman likes this.
  15. pleasedpriusowner

pleasedpriusowner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Everyone,

Had "THE RECALL" (cue apocalyptic doomsday music now!) done on Saturday, February 15, 2014 and all appeared well...took about an hour. Got a phone call on Friday, February 21, 2014 which informed me that I needed to bring the car (2012 Black Prius 5) back in to have the recall re-done...something about Toyota notified them that my car didn't get the complete recall software the first time around (don't know if that means the recall software that was first sent to the dealership was incomplete, the dealership did an incomplete job of installing it, the car didn't accept it, a combination of all three of the aforementioned, or whatever. My guess would be that the original Toyota software was incomplete because the comment was made by the service writer guy that the notification had come from Toyota...who knows???). The second time took about 1/2 hour. Got a free car wash out of the deal and haven't noticed any difference in performance or behavior.

16. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

17. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have had my recall done and there is no change whatsoever in the way the car runs. There is no way you can tell from inside the car, to my knowledge, whether the recall has been done or not. The dealer gave me a receipt showing the recall had been done. I am a member of the Toyota Owners at Toyota Owners.com. I checked that website under maintenance performed and it showed the dealer performed the recall. If you are not signed in to this website it is a good idea to join. It's free.

18. myPriusAcct

myPriusAcct Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just done my recall. Took 3 hours so not worth waiting around if you're time poor. No changes in driveability but I did notice a few things.

Battery is now maintained at full minus 1 bar. It used to sit at full minus 2 bars. Others have noted this as well. This may now mean the battery has less room to capture regen energy since it's closer to full. I'm not sure if fuel efficiency in real world driving is affected but you will fill the battery quicker when braking on a long downward slope.

The ICE start also seems smoother now. It's hard to confirm if it's just in my mind, but my car used to give a little kick when the ICE started, especially during acceleration on a slow upward slope. The ICE starting is now pretty much imperceptible in all driving situations.

19. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Most likely the technician didn't even do the recall service for you and this dealership is trying to cover it up and cover their butts.

We are not hearing about any problems with the recall service needing to be done again, other than yours. If Toyota really issued some TSB on it, we'd be hearing about it all over.

The Critic likes this.
  20. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the recall performed on my 2011 Prius Three last Saturday. Driveability and MPG hasn't changed a bit, as far as I can tell. Initially the HV battery indicator seemed to track slightly higher than usual, but appears to have returned to normal after about a day. I suspect after the re-flash, the vehicle needs to re-learn the characteristics of the battery.

As far as an incomplete recall service, reprogramming the MG-ECU writes two files to the control module. The tech may have confused this with having reprogrammed two ECU's. In this case, the vehicle would have to be returned to the dealer to reprogram the Power Management ECU.
    Some General Motors vehicles have a sequential programming process that reprograms multiple control modules in one session.
    It's becoming more and more challenging to keep everything straight.

Dark_matter_doesn't likes this.