1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who has the world's largest per capita carbon footprint?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Pinto Girl, Dec 11, 2011.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Speaking of pigs, the country with the largest fleet of those is China. half of the world's 'fleet' of 1 billion.

I don't think I eat 1/7 of a pig per year. That seems like a lot.

One interesting item is that those pigs living near cities (which is most) get a lot of their diet from food waste. The restaurants I know in Kunming and other cities put scraps into large plastic bottles (tubs?) which are transported to the pig farms. It's a pretty big business.

So, if you don't clean your plate the first time around, you get a second chance when you order pork.

US and maybe many other countries landfill such things.

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't eat swine, but the christians that raised pigs in Egypt used to pick up the garbage.
    Belatedly, Egypt Spots Flaws in Wiping Out Pigs - NYTimes.com

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Feeding foodwaste to pigs used to be a big business in the US, it has been significantly reduced in the past 20 years. AFAIK, it's still done in some states.

When I had KP duty in the Air Force in Denver in the early 1960s, food waste was put in separate containers and hauled off for hog farmers.

AS143/AN143: Feeding Food Wastes to Swine

4. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    I have found out what this is all about. The largest container ship operator and supply vessel operator in the world is Maersk and Maersk is Danish! It turns out that operating the largest fleet of container ships has quite an impact on a country consisting of 5mil. people...
    The controversy is about the CO2 used to fuel the ships, which dst.dk lists under imported resources.

TIL this :)

1 person likes this.
  5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Maersk is cleaning up their emissions for marketing, cost, and environmental reasons. You need to ask WWF how they got denmark so high, I linked their report above in responses, CO2 alone won't do it. Here are a couple of sources on maersk for those interested
    Maersk Line shipping containers worldwide
    Maria's PR blog: Maersk: being ethical in an unethical industry

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Appreciate learning about pigs in other places. I wish to assume that in general, food waste is recooked before being used as pig food. Otherwise would seem to invite disease, and not just for them. Just sayin'.

Maersk ships, by the way, transport some of the CH exports to the US. Those containers (not just Maersk's) generally do not come back here empty. Instead filled with paper for recycling, corn, soy beans and rice. Some of which feeds pigs I assume.

Running big ships empty across the Pacific would be inefficient. Anyone know if the (Asian) car carriers to the US come back empty?

7. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Every time I see a coal train lumber either or west out of the Powder River Basin in MT, I wonder what they could put on thes cars for a back haul.

Icarus