1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who is driving a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Howard, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Howard

Howard New Member

Rachael Ray not only opts for a Toyota Prius when she's in a driver's seat, but insists on using car services that drive the hybrid mobiles as well.

Mandy Moore went shopping for a Toyota Prius at a dealership in Hollywood, Calif., Dec. 18, 2006. For the first time since the current version of the Prius went on sale three years ago, there are enough to fill customer demand.

Actor Leonardo DiCaprio, dressed in his usual baseball cap and sunglasses, heads to his eco-friendly Toyota Prius after picking up some magazines at a Sunset Boulevard Newspaper stand in West Hollywood, Calif. DiCaprio is among a growing list of celebs who drive the eco-friendly car.

Tom Hanks, arrives at the premiere of the film "The Ant Bully" at L.A.'s Grauman's Chinese Theatre in a Toyota Prius hybrid. The so-called Prius shortage has been eased by adding a second production shift at a Toyota plant in Japan.

Former Vice-president Al Gore was recently hired by the British governmet to help get other countries, especially the United States, more active in efforts to stop global warming. He recently appeared at a California rally in favor of a global warming initiative in a Toyota Prius.

Actor Ed Begley Jr. has been active in environmental causes for years. He, to, is a proud Prius owner.

Actor Larry David arrives at the L.A. premiere of Al Gore's documentary "An Inconvenient Truth" last May. Like Al Gore, Larry David, too, drives a Prius.

Donny Osmond is among the many celebrities who drives a Prius.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/popup?id=2632217&...ent=&page=1

2. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm all for promoting the Prius image, but I think that the Hollywood crowd is probably last on my list of eco-friendly role models.

4. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Apr 5 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]418240[/snapback]</div>
    They aren’t even regular role models to me.

You think they are smart check this out.

'Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life.'
    Brooke Shields

'I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada.'
    Britney Spears

'I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness.'
    Alicia Silverstone

'When people wear shoes that don't fit them, it says something about their soul. Generally, I think it means they are good people.'
    Billy Bob Thornton

'My child was not only carried by me, but by the universe.'
    Celine Dion

'It's not that I'm stupid. I just don't think sometimes.'
    Colin Farrell

'I think it is OK to sleep with strippers, it is a choice. It's a good thing that I got that sort of thing out of my system by now!'
    Orlando Bloom

'I'm a meathead. I can't help it, man. You've got smart people and you've got dumb people.'
    Keanu Reeves

'Some men send me condoms and underpants. I'm not sure what they want.'
    Martine McCutcheon

'I enjoy the company of cattle. I really enjoy knowing them, running my hand over them.'
    Russell Crowe

'I dress sexily - but not in an obvious way. Sexy in a virginal way.'
    Victoria Beckham

'When I start a movie, the first day, I feel like a duck.'
    Penelope Cruz

5. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The only celebrity I like who drives a Prius is Larry David, his wife actually takes part in a lot of environmental causes.
    As for everyone else, they piss me off. John Travolta preaching about global warming, yet the dude has 5 private jets! That's the problem with all these people, they're hypocrites. They have all the money in the world and tell people to support global causes, yet the amount of money they give is faint to what they make.

Did anyone see that picture of Kirsten Dunst parking her Prius in a handicapped zone? She's not too bright.

6. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mywhitenoise @ Apr 5 2007, 11:55 AM) [snapback]418306[/snapback]</div>
    I have to admit I do like how Tom Hanks cares about the enviroment he even bought the Scion E xb and was an ex EV1 driver.
    also have recently seen "Who Killed the Electric Car" a two thumbs up movie rent it if near you you will like it. well some of you will ok most of u

7. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Apr 5 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]418311[/snapback]</div>
    I saw it on google video a few months ago. Everyone should see that movie, not just people interested in Hybrids.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How come they didn't mention me on the list?

9. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 5 2007, 01:49 PM) [snapback]418336[/snapback]</div>
    Did you even click on the link? You're the 4th one listed.

10. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

YUCK! Those people are driving cars like mine???? I wish I'd bought a Hummer. (Just kidding.)

My car is not a political statement. My car is my transportation.

Well, that's not entirely true. I'd rather give my money to the Japanese than the Arabs.

I'm glad it doesn't pollute as much or use up the earth's resources as fast as other vehicles.

I'm glad it saves me money in fuel efficiency.

I'm glad it is a "vote" for alternative energy for two reasons: (1) the earth doesn't have a limitless supply of oil and (2) I don't want to pay money for energy to people who hate us.

But if owning a Prius means that people identify me with those halfwits afflicted with GroupThink, I'm going to have to get a bumper sticker that says, "I drive a Prius, but I think for myself."

11. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't forget ME! I've had mine for over a year now.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

13. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I dislike celebrities, especially people who obsess over them. I think most do the whole eco-friendly stuff for attention. its good PR. The ones who are dedicated like Bono to their causes are few and far between

14. rangermike

rangermike New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 5 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]418244[/snapback]</div>
    And people say Bush cannot speak well....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Apr 5 2007, 11:32 AM) [snapback]418240[/snapback]</div>
    I 2nd that!

15. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rangermike @ Apr 5 2007, 05:39 PM) [snapback]418483[/snapback]</div>
    Well he can't, and none of those celebrity's have run the country down the ground.

16. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny ... why is it that Al Gore was being driven around by a chauffeur in a fricking Mercedes S-Class in "An Inconvenient Truth"? I'm sure it was the armor-plated version that gets abut 6 MPG.

He shows real concern, doesn't he? :rolleyes:

Did he think that no one would notice that? Perhaps he figured that since that scene was at least 1/2 way through, most people would either be too stoned or drunk to even notice.

There is not one celebrity I give 2 rips about, Al Gore included. He made his bed by wanting to be affiliated with these people, now he has to sleep in it too.

17. godyn

godyn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snowdog650 @ Apr 6 2007, 01:40 AM) [snapback]418542[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I can't agree with your opinions.
    Apparently if you're a star and willing to come up for nature and concerned about the earth, you should drive a 'simple' Prius, life in a simple ecological house, and don't mention your concern about nature.
    You can't have both, a star-way of living and a simple life. It's the same ridiculous way of thinking as the reporters who ask them: so how come you were on the plane this morning?. Don't shoot the messenger. I think rather shoot the people who ask those embarassing questions.

I'm thankfull that they even WANT to bring up this issue. 1/2 the world looks at them as gods (I don't, but respect them, you learn that everything is relative in life when you get older :) ). And every step they put is a wrong one or made ridiculous by the paprrazzi.

I think they have an important roll in spreading the thoughts around the world.
    We should be thankfull they are willing to do that.

I saw Leonardo DiCaprio on Belgian TV last week in Cannes, and he had a whole speech about the climate.
    He could have talked about his roles or so, but I rather have him talking about the world problems. No matter if he gets credits for that or gets more attention.
    We can always do it Bushes way also ;-)

Only question I have to Al Gore: Why is this humanity-saving film sold and not for download for free? Is the film industry that important or powerful. Or are there other meanings behind this?

Now excuse me my writings, I'm from Europe, Belgium that is ;-)

18. thebrattygurl

thebrattygurl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mywhitenoise @ Apr 5 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]418491[/snapback]</div>
    AMEN to that statement! Not only has he nearly ruined our country, and made us look like fools to other countries, but it would be a cold day in you know where before Bush would drive a Prius.

19. godyn

godyn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thebrattygurl @ May 23 2007, 04:28 PM) [snapback]448141[/snapback]</div>
    Indeed guys and girls,
    The terrible news we get here about that crazy America. You would think they're all alien :eek: :)
    Now, I do know some Americans that luckely are not like on our TV :p , mostly we see only the wacko things over here in some emissions.
    But I feel sorry about the way Bush and a bad law system ruins allot of peoples freedom.
    Over here allot of people don't think as America land of the free. (I do agree about the brave!)
    Luckely we have a good social system. If you fall out of a job, you can get money in Belgium from the governement. If you get ill, you can go to a doctor for 20$ (and get 15 back from the governement). And so on. Now even in allot of other Europe countries it isn't like that.
    But what really scares me is the American way of thinking: We ARE the world, we life on double foot (and that's how it feels when I was on visit, I mean everything is BIG in America, double food, double drinks, everything).
    Also the stories about people carrying guns is so terrible. Why would you need a gun??? More guns gives more occassions to shoot, isn't it? Over here we never have problems with shootings. Only if some crazy man starts shooting at a lawyer or so because they wan't to sell all his stuff :D )
    Also the fanatic religion scares me. That's as scary as the Islam. I think religion should be a warm and forgiving thing. Not fanatic, us against them.
    Oh well, I can go on for hours...

Don't get me wrong,I was raised the American way. As a child, we only got American shows over here. (that was when TV in Belgium was still in Jurrasic state ;) )
    But when I imagine the Belgian flag everytime I see an American flag, it creeps me. Even now allot of people walk over here with a t-shirt or sweater with the stars and stripes. But if you ask them to wear the Flemish lion, they think that's the fascistic party over here, Vlaams Belang.
    Also scary stuff thus. Maybe Belgians are a bit weird too :p

Please don't take this personaly, your country is not you. People are different all over our globe.
    I'm not a proud Belgian myselve ;) But I only care for a good system to live in. If it's hurricane in America, it's stormy over here, do you know what I mean?

20. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ed Begley is actually living the life of an environmentalist. He rarely drives the Prius, preferring to ride his bicycle, or take public transportation. He would probably rather have a solar Prius, that never needed gas, but would still drive it only if he couldn't walk, bike, or bus somewhere.

Personally, I think it's great that "celebrities" are starting to visibly care about the environment, even if it is just "fluff"... after all, they ARE role models for some people, and as such, I'm just glad that they are doing something positive.

I didn't buy my Prius because of some celebrity. However, if someone sees me going by in mine, and they think that I'm a celebrity, well... I'll smile and wave :D