1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who is getting the Gen 5 integrated dashcam?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Gokhan, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    • OEM integrated dashcam, no batteries required
    • $375 MSRP
    • begin recording upon ignition or impact
    • microSD card
    • phone app
    • available on all HEV and PHEV trims perhaps except the LE HEV and LE AWD HEV
    [​IMG]

#1 Gokhan, Apr 6, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
    TGrracie and samsprius1 like this.
  2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I really like the idea of an integrated dash cam.

I’ve used 3rd party cameras as well as integrated cams, and I far prefer the integrated ones.

TGrracie, John321 and Gokhan like this.
  3. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    A friend got the integrated dashcam with their Tundra was happy with it

4. Mksky

Mksky Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Can we get it and install it later on or do we have to get it and install it at the dealership before the car deliver?

TGrracie and Gokhan like this.
  5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, you can get it later. In fact, I believe this is the only way, as it doesn't seem to be a common port-installed accessory.

6. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    It's an easy install. This was all discussed recently in another thread, but the dash cam itself costs $252 if you search for the best price among Toyota dealers. It may or may not require an additional $35 wiring harness. That's not known for certain until someone gets a 2023 Prius and is willing to pull down the upper lighting console to see if the plug is there. I believe you don't need the wiring harness if the plug is there. If the plug is missing, you use the wiring harness to splice into the powered mirror. If the plug is not pre-installed by Toyota, you won't be able to install the dashcam on the LE trim without doing some additional wiring.

There are technically two choices of dashcam: Toyota or Lexus. The Toyota version has a big red button. The Lexus version appears to be identical except the button is black. Both communicate with an app, but I don't know if the Lexus dashcam is setup to communicate with the Toyota app or vice versa. The other difference is a price difference because I can find the Toyota version for 20% off, but I can only find the Lexus version for 10% off(both have an MSRP of $315)

Reviews on the dashcam are mixed. Resolution isn't great, but it's acceptable as long as you're just using the dashcam for the standard things. Don't expect 4K quality, but you'll easily be able to read license plates and the like. Good viewing angle. Terrible app interface. Much easier to just pull the SD card and insert it into a laptop or other device to watch/download the videos. Only 16GB SD card comes with the camera, probably worth it to get a 128GB or 256GB card(they're cheap). Good build quality(plastic likely won't break down over years of direct sun).

One reviewer who had it installed was happy with it because he was looking for a sturdy dashcam that integrated well and had resolution that was 'good enough'. He also was okay with ignoring the app and just pulling the SD card to get videos. Another reviewer was unhappy with it and returned it after a couple weeks and went with a camera with a higher resolution and a second camera facing backwards into the cabin. He also hated the app and that played a role in deciding to return it.

Toyota Dashcam: PT949-08230
    Lexus Dashcam: PT949-76220
    Wiring Harness: PT949-48210

Install instructions for a 2022 Tundra that has the plug(doesn't need the wiring harness):
    http://toyotaparts.sparkstoyota.com/install/PT949-34220inst.pdf

Install instructions for a Camry that does not have the plug(needs the wiring harness):
    Install The Y-Harness - Toyota CAMRY PT949-08210 Installation Instructions Manual [Page 7] | ManualsLib

Install video for a 2022 Tundra:

Upload of a recorded video so you can see if the quality is acceptable to you:

#6 Hammersmith, Apr 6, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
    TGrracie, PhoS, Kalianyia and 3 others like this.
  7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    According to the website, it is available for all HEV and PHEV trims except LE HEV and LE AWD HEV. Perhaps those trims require some splicing etc.

#7 Gokhan, Apr 6, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
  8. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    This is an interesting discussion and one that I would like to hear more feedback about. For example, does it offer any parking monitoring?

I have had a 2-channel (front & rear) BlackVue dash cam in my PiP for almost 8 years, and it is great to have, especially if you add a battery backup, as it is my “silent witness” for any hit & run, since the battery backup (which sits under the passenger seat) provides about 16-18 hours of parking monitoring which is great (as I had several incidents of hit & run with my previous car). The battery backup is also quite pricey though. o_O

My 1080p camera (DR-650GW-2ch) is now very outdated, but the new DR-970X looks amazing (and I plan to purchase in the near future), and also supports LTE if you want real-time notification / cloud access with a data plan. Likely slightly more costly than the OEM camera, but also much better (4K) quality, I am sure. 2-channel is also nice to have, which is seems the OEM will not offer.

I bought my last camera from blackboxmycar.com, based out of Vancouver, Canada. Great vendor, super fast shipping, and recommended. (y)

Gokhan likes this.
  9. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Yep, it's only the LE that has the different section the rearview mirror attaches to.

Someone with an LE would certainly be able to make it work, but it might involve pulling down a few more panels to run an always-on wire up to the headliner. I did the same thing to my 2010 a year or so ago so I could add an auto-dimming mirror with Homelink buttons. If I wasn't able to snag a new Prius at MSRP, I was seriously considering adding the same dashcam to my oldie since the power was already there.

Honestly, the trickiest thing on the LE would be free-handing the adhesive mounting plate since you wouldn't be able to get the mounting template from Toyota.

TGrracie and Gokhan like this.
  10. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    It does have parking monitoring. It's based on internal motion, so it only turns on if the car gets bumped. It's not like a Tesla that has motion sensors or whatever triggers their parking monitoring. Since it's running off the 12V battery, it's got a lot of battery backup time. It's able to monitor the car's voltage somehow, so it will shut itself off if the 12V battery starts to run low.

Looking at the DR-970X, the rear camera in that uses the same CMOS sensor as the camera in the Toyota(Sony STARVIS).

Sarge and Gokhan like this.
  11. Mksky

Mksky Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks for the informative reply. The quality of the video does seem just okay. I'll think about it. I hope there is some other third-party dash cam that can utilize the plug to draw power so we don't have to run an ugly line from the 12v port.

12. Mr. F

Mr. F Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks like it captures in 1080p and exports as 4K. In the review above, the footage was compressed back into 1080p by YouTube so the quality looks a lot worse than it originally was. I actually couldn't make out any license plates while it was being driven around in the parking lot.

This review, uploaded in 4K, seems to better represent the export quality:

I certainly like the build quality, OEM look, and concealed wiring, but I'd definitely pick a true 4K cam over this. Then there's the decision over 4K/30fps vs. 2K/60fps. I have half a mind to have two independent cams running at both frame rates—one gets me the full detail, the other catches events that 30 fps is too slow for.

Gokhan likes this.
  13. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO, this option is incredibly bad.
    - it is not really integrated, it is a separate, external module that does not work with sensors in car
    - the image and sound quality is really poor
    - it does not contain rear camera
    - the price

Something like Viofo A139 Pro is cheaper, has usable video, usable audio, usable phone app, rear cam etc.

I was really looking forward to seeing the new Toyota/Lexus integrated dash cam, but reviews on YouTube left me utterly disappointed.

theRob and Mr. F like this.
  14. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Good quality, I wish it were a little cheaper—it probably costs $20 to make.

15. Mr. F

Mr. F Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a Viofo A129 Pro that's fantastic, but the rear cam connector is a right-angled micro-USB cable and transfers stresses to the body, leading to cracked plastic around the port. The A139 seems to have addressed that issue with a much slimmer cylindrical connector. I'm probably going to pick one of those up for the other vehicle.

16. PriusPeep

PriusPeep Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a concern about privacy. Toyota needs to make it clear that audio and visual recordings are stored in the vehicle and nowhere else.

These vehicles record and transmit a lot information to the manufacturers. Police can already subpoena for everything from your location to how fast you were going.

I believe this is all unconstitutional and a gross violation of privacy. Even if you are the most law-abiding citizen, it’s nobody’s business what you do or say in your car.

I remember officials assuring the public that EZPass would never be used for anything other than tolls. That was a major lie.

17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That was a fantastic, knowledge packed response! Thanks so much:)

It does sound like a decent camera, but not truly integrated.
    I’d like to see something that leverages any parking sensors to pick up motion next to the car.

Gokhan likes this.
  18. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably warrants another thread -but- driving is a privilege granted by the government and is a public act. All cars are required to have a "black box" that records your every move in the vehicle. In an accident this information is automatically saved and will be accessed by Law Enforcement and Insurance Agencey's if necessary. Your phone will always give Law Enforcement your whereabouts and personal information and will certainly be accessed by these Agencies if deemed necessary.

Hopefully these kinds of evidence gathering tools will give pause to inconsiderate and law-breaking drivers who endanger the public at large.

I might advise you to stay out of the state of Kentucky as we use flock cameras extensively to enforce traffic regulations and to help apprehend criminals. Some of these in public places like city streets use facial recognition.

#18 John321, Apr 7, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
    Gokhan, Zythryn and mountaineer like this.
  19. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Privacy laws does not and should not apply when you are in public.

I am a huge advocate of vehicle driving information sent to the public agencies. The result:
    • total crime will be reduced by up to 90%
    • traffic deaths and accidents will be reduced by up to 90%
    • police killings and killings of police will be reduced by up to 90%, as most traffic stops will be unnecessary

Zythryn likes this.
  20. Sunny Reddy

Sunny Reddy New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Didn't know this was an option. Must have in my opinion