1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who Killed the Electric Car movie

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by brad34695, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Biff, the first electric car is about 100 years old. Electrics were more common than gas to start with. That changed as gas was extrememly cheap and had a better range.
    An all electric car has far LESS maintainance issues that an ICE car. It is more reliable, safer and cheaper to operate.
    Batteries are less explosive than a tank full of gasoline (by a long shot). The Tesla, Think City and other EVs are proving that.
    If GM or another company with a large amount of production capability would get behind an EV, well, it would be a wonderful thing.
    As for range, I need about 80 miles. However, current EVs run around 100-220 miles. More than enough for most (true, not all, just most).

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That's right ... unlike the 20 gallons of toxic liquid in YOUR car .. which never catch fire. :rolleyes: Stats show a vehicle fire roughly every 1 1/2 minutes here in the U.S. ... and a good portion of those are fatal. So much for engineering facts like safety. Fact is, we're programed to accept such things. Meanwhile, there ARE battery chemestries much safer than gas. Moreover, the accepted estimates are that roughly 90% of auto driver's commutes are less than 100 miles a day. The Rav4-ev as well as the EV1 (with with old style nickel chemestry batteries) both had over a 100 mile range ... and the rav4-ev's still on the road? Some battery packs are now over the 100,000 mile mark. So I guess I don't get your point. Let it die? It has been said since 1905, "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it."