1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who Likes Data?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by enerjazz, Aug 2, 2017.

1. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just celebrated 13 years of Prius ownership and updated my charts and graphs on my website. I've logged every tank of gas and maintenance procedure. My lifetime mpg is 54.2. See the data on my web page: https://enerjazz.com/prius

MilkyWay and marlinsmobile like this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice! Thanks for sharing.

3. GoPriusFTW

GoPriusFTW New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love data and yours is incredible! Well done! That must be be very satisfying to have. Over $7000 savings in gas! Wow!

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I generally go until the pip blinks, then look for a station nearby (but not in a big rush). The warm climate helps - I also block the grill in winter for faster engine warmup. The warm weather also keeps the tank bladder flexible so it will take the full amount. We do have 10% ethanol gas here, so that hits my mileage a bit. Traffic is probably the biggest reason for good mileage - I can rarely go very fast. Slogging through traffic at 35-40mph (or less) I can feather the pedal and boost my mpg.

wjtracy likes this.
  6. marlinsmobile

marlinsmobile Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is really interesting stuff! My husband and I have been curious about the relationship of MPG vs. ambient temperature. Our 1.5 years of data from our Gen 3 looks a lot like Paul's (blue) 2004 data here - a wide cloud of observations (lots of variation). It "feels" like there should be a relationship. Neither linear nor second-degree polynomial predictors yielded a significant model using our data.

Realizing that we had moved up the learning curve after buying our Prius in Feb 2016, I excluded the first six months of ownership. Now the model is significant. It does look like we increased our Prius-driving skills over time! I know that we aren't controlling for lots of other variables here, but 90%+ of my tanks are me driving back and forth to work on the same route (same driver, same AC preferences, same route, mostly the same traffic conditions).

Also, we don't have any observations over 90 F. I wonder if we would see a similar inflection point to Paul's (around 70-75 F) if we had more high-temperature observations.

upload_2017-8-20_18-50-4.png

[For reference, the equation is MPG = -0.002*Ambient(F)^2 + 0.294*Ambient(F)+ 36.9
    Given our narrow range of observed temps, a linear model is only slightly more biased at high temps. The linear model (which is easier to interpret) is MPG = 0.076*Ambient(F) + 43.8. In other words, an increase or decrease in temp by 10 degrees --> in a predicted increase or decrease of 0.8 MPG.
    Neither model is useful for prediction outside of the observed temp range.]

Attached Files:

MilkyWay likes this.
  7. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I live in a very hot climate, and I can confirm with anecdotal evidence that there is a *sharp* decline in MPG when it gets to be much over 100*F. Somewhere between 70 and 80 seems to be the sweet spot, based on my observations, and the data shown on this thread seem to confirm that suspicion.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed. It's not as hot here as in AZ, but it's plenty hot and I take a hit in the summer. While the battery is admittedly outside it's best temperature when I start out, the A/C cools it down, so I suspect that much of the hit comes from the A/C itself working extra hard.

johnnyb588 likes this.