1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who Owns the Dashboard? Apple and Google Should

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ggood, Jan 13, 2016.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mossberg: Who Owns the Dashboard? Apple and Google Should. | Re/code

"My last three cars have been a Mercedes, a BMW, and a Lexus. I chose them all because, at the time, they seemed to do a good job with device integration and voice commands. In the end, all disappointed and annoyed me with their failures in these areas."

"A few weeks ago, I test-drove a much less costly Honda Accord with CarPlay using my own iPhone 6s, and the experience was a thousand times better. Everything just worked, including navigation, Siri and third-party apps like Pandora, Audible and Spotify."

"I’m no auto engineer, but it’s hard for me to believe that some of this [i.e., automakers reluctance to let android and carplay do more] isn’t just the car companies not wanting to give up complete control of the dashboard, even for non-driving functions, to somebody else. Especially when that somebody else might one day be a full-fledged competitor. But, for the sake of consumers, they should."

You tell em, Walt!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course they don't want to give up control. that's why we have choices. mfg.'s not selling cars can go with these options to lure more buyers.

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bisco, do you ever leave your computer? When do you eat and sleep? :LOL:

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sleeping right now.:cool:

ftl likes this.
  5. Sandesh

Sandesh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I almost bought the apple carplay at Best Buy.It was expensive about $800 or more , including installation.Plus need to but a separate XM part costing $55, even though my Persona has a functioning Sirus XM.
    I weighed everything and decided against it and i was not worth it..

1) Limited Apps, I use a lot of Amazon music app having my entire collection there, it doesn't not show up in car play.Amazon prime app is not supported as of now.
    2) Expensive.
    3) Need to have the IPhone plugged in to make use of car play.

But CarPlay has a lot of potential with it and I love the how the album art work displays on the screen with such crisp clarity.
    Entunes display is so bad, but for now Entunes does everything carplay does without being plugged in the USB(including navigation by using data from my phone).
    So, I ended up keeping Entune but upgraded the speakers to JL Audio instead.