1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who says larger wheels = less MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Prius driver, May 23, 2008.

1. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed the 28" tires on my Camaro to slow the car down and improve my roll out at the starting line. My car went from running 11.7x to 12.0x in the quarter mile as the cut off for Street class is 12.00. However mph went from 110 to 112 and my gas mileage improved when driving on the street.

As far as the typical production large rims and smaller sidewalls, I think it is mostly show as it certainly sacrifices the "go", although cornering is very generally improved due to less sidewall roll on average tires.

I would personally much rather have a smaller rim and a taller tire for better ride quality as i really do not care about cornering ability (within reason).

2. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

sorry.. i thought inertia was the same as rolling resistance.. unless rolling resistance meant friction.. which i thought was contact... anyhow performance cars usually have bigger rims to clear big break pads and rotor...you can't have a 6 pot in a 13" wheels..

also when you have 450hp ... what's another inch of inertia...

3. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    larger diameter rims do allow for larger diameter rotors. Side clearance is more of a consideration for brake kits (after you provide for clearance of the rotor. If there is adequate side clearance, a 13 inch wheel can provide clearance for a 6 pot caliper.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Read the Cummins Fuel Economy pdf. Great info in that piece.

5. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :eek:

i guess... i mean with money anything is possible right? realisticly do you know of a car with 13" wheel with 6 pot... i guess this what i meant...

F8L... thanks... i stand corrected... rolling resistance is friction.. i got confused with inertia since it's resistance to motion ...

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

It's all good man. I thought you'd like the article. :)

7. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i did like the article.. but i guess it was geared towards trucks where stagnation is larger than our prius...so some of their est. calculations are different... but the main concept is there.. very interesting though...