1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who sells the most cars and trucks in America?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, Jan 5, 2006.

?
  1. Toyota?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nissan?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ford?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Chevrolet?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dodge?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Nissan?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Lexus?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Honda?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Mercedes?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Mazda?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Suzuki?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Hyundai?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Saab?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Ahhh, I love the ignore button almost as much as I love my Toyota Prius :D

2. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Tundra struck by the comet and still running isn't as redneck as the Dodge Hemi ads? Come on. If you are going to call me on something, you can come up with something better than that.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I won't buy a Japanese car made in the States. One look at my friends' Accords (96 and 98) is enough to persuade me not to.

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

As we speak, the Toyota Camry Hybrid is being introduced at the Detroit Auto Show. Why aren't you there? You can see the car for yourself. It will be on the road by mid-year. HSD will be coming to every platform, raising Toyota's MPG's for every make and model. Generally "bs" is a term used to describe something that is false. It is not generally used to describe a car that is ready for production.

Nate

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    By the way, malorn, you are just illustrating my point. Instead of trying to sell me a Chevrolet or a Ford, you are trying to prove me wrong. Or is that the sales pitch? Only when my spirit is defeated will I buy the domestic brand?

The domestics must change their attitude if they want my money.

Nate

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Did I miss something here? Since when are comets associated with 'rednecks'? Maybe I had to be there...didn't see the commercial yet myself. Or was the comet a redneck itself, in disguise? :rolleyes:

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Maybe when the comets are inhabited by aliens who abduct the rednecks and insert plumber's helpers up their you-know-whats. :)

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I agree, and that is why at this point i am far more worried about Ford than GM. Ford does not seem to have a plan to move forward, pun intended, and GM does. I know it will take a lot to lure some of you Toyota men and women into domestic showrooms, but I really believe it WILL happen.

You will all scoff at this but GM builds the best quality vehicles from top to bottom today and it WILL show up later in the reliability at 5+ years. Also Toyota is moving into very uncomfortable territory with large trucks and suvs. This is the territory where GM and Ford have a huge headstart and are firmly entrenched. toyota has had huge momentum in the marketplace for the last 10 years, it will be very interesting to see how they react when they don't. Folks driving full-size suv's and pickups are by far the most loyal in the industry, they will not try Toyota easily.

9. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The problem, though, is that people like me will be waiting the 5+ years to see if quality has indeed improved. I remember when this promise was made last time (late 90's)? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Nate

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Malorn,

What is your initial impression of the HSD Camry vs Ford Fusion choice ?
    I'm presuming you have the specs ..

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't know enough about the Camry HSD. From the few photos I have seen, it reminds me of the new Volkswagen. I will try to gather some facts in the next couple of days and get back to you. The Fusion seems like the best high volume car that Ford has offered in years, much better than the recent Ford 500. :(

12. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would like to know what this "plan" is because GM seems like it has been dead in the water since the late 90's. Also, they may be able to lure us into the showrooms, but we don't have to buy a car just because we walk in.
    I will admit, I did give the Fusion a good look, but it seemed like more of a luxury car and I didn't like the fuel economy.

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Again there will be more scoffs, but GM needs to get its story about quality, fuel mileage, and use its size to its advantage. There is a new marketing campaign being unveiled this week at the Detroit Auto Show which looks as though it will tie all of those components together. I am confident that if even Toyota owners give GM a chance that GM will win more battles than it loses. Remember that over one half of all Toyota owners also own a GM truck or suv and most (not Jayman) are very satisfied. So with the right message the upside could be huge.

Also Toyota is getting ready to unveil its third generation Tundra. The first tow generations have been for the most part a sales flop. If the third flops, it will be more visible because they will be built in Texas. As we all know with a 24 hour media, perception and momentum are very important, as I posted earlier, it will be interesting to see how Toyota handles falling market share or even stagnant market share.

14. slortz

slortz New Member

I was trying to respond to this earlier but got bombed out lost everything I had written so I'll try to sum up.

"Are these articles my emotional rantings?" No, they are however fuel for your emotional rantings. :)
    You cite that first article like there is some problem with it. What is the problem? It is not saying that Toyota IS number one over GM in sales. It is saying that if the current rates continue THEN they will become number one. Is it untrue to say that?
    You cite the second article I suppose as evidence that the notion in the first article is completely offbase with reality. First of all, the second article came out just two days ago, so if that is the latest and most accurate news out there on the subject, so be it. That still doesn't make the first article wrong. Secondly, this second article is quoting Wagoner, the head of GM, so tell me what is the likelyhood that he will paint anything other than the rosiest of outlooks for the company? Thirdly, I still don't understand why so much emphasis is being placed on the sales numbers. If GM sold every car for a penny, heck sure they'll sell the most damn cars in the universe! Woo hoo! Well, considering the way they are losing money they aren't even making a penny's profit on each car. Clinging to this crown of Number One In Sales while being Number One In Financial Loss is just an emotional life-preserver.
    Finally, I agree with you on that last article about it being "amusing" and nothing else. Did you write that article? Because it sounds like an Op/Ed piece and not newsreporting at all.

Also, I'm glad you came clean about the Toyota ownership thing. Having the business own them as trade-ins is a world of difference from personally owning and driving one on a daily basis.

15. slortz

slortz New Member

Malorn, I don't know where or how to "remember that over one half of all Toyota owners own a GM truck or suv."

I'm trying to think of just one person I know of that owns a Toyota that also owns a GM truck/suv.
    Where is this factoid coming from?

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The point is GM surprised the 'experts' with their 2005 sales totals worldwide and now it seems like toyota will not take the crown this year and in fact may not have the capacity for several years. Of course I am much more sensitive to all of the 'experts' then you are. Some of the 'experts' rarely get anything concerning the automotive business right and yet they are still splattering their opinions all over the television and newspapers. GM will get the ship righted in North America this year and i think ford may get things straightened out late in the year.

The third article was published in last weeks Automotive News and no i did not write it. Certainly backs up my first post on here about 'smoke and mirrors' regarding Toyota's business plan in North America. Toyota's image gets more 'green' with every day, even though they are building and want to build more and more trucks with every passing day.

17. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That fact is pretty easy to pickup in various automotive publications. It is right around 50%. If you want me to find it for you i can tomorrow. Remember I said Toyota owners not necessarily Prius owners. It is very common within my stores' owner base.

18. slortz

slortz New Member

Yes, could please dig up that reference for me because that sounds like maybe years ago it might have been the case but I have doubts that today those are the numbers.
    Even still, it doesn't say anything about the current trend towards more economical vehicles if lots of Toyota owners have GM trucks/suv's rotting in their driveways.

19. EricGo

EricGo New Member

This thread, and molorn's forlorn optimism to bring people back under the GM/Ford umbrella caused me to remember a bit my own attitude towards Mitsubishi motor company.

In the early 90's, I was a strong fan of the company. I opined that their cars were 90% of a Honda or Toyota, at a much lower price. But then they used their good name to rebadge and sale hyundais to an unsuspecting public. They refused to deal with poor brakes in the Mirage line. And in the last five years or so, widespread cover-ups of manufacturing defects have come to light.

It will be very surprising if I ever consider, let alone buy another car from Mitsubishi in my lifetime. Partly distrust, and part a desire to punish, I am a GENERATIONAL loss as a potential customer.

I suspect that each time GM sold someone a lemon, and then washed their hands of responsibility, they lost a customer for a lifetime. There seems to be tens of millions of people like this. Quotes I see from insiders in the US auto industry seem to accept this, in calling for downsizing of the company to match current market share or lower. Company growth is a forgotten pipedream.

They just want to stabilize and not continue to bleed customers. But in reliability, the small car segment, the economy car segment, the cheap vehicle segment, the small CUV segment, the environmental segment, and the FE segments of the car market, GM is either behind or way behind. To a large extent, only in the large SUV and truck segments can GM say they are competitive. But that is only 50% of their business by numbers;and here fuel prices have a high chance of continuing to hit the SUV's hard, and Toyota, Nissan and Honda are attacking the once dependable truck segment.

GM's response: If I may guess, a Goebbilistic PR blitz apparently designed to eat up whatever cash reserves they have in no time flat, spouting surveys and numbers rather than trying to adapt to changes that other car companies have been preparing decades for.

Brilliant strategy, if the goal is to die quickly.

20. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Fair enough, mate. Sorry for the confusion.