1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who should pay for price increase?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by itsnicetobe, Sep 26, 2009.

1. itsnicetobe

itsnicetobe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I ordered a Prius V in September with ATP. I see that the ATP just had an increase of $680.00 and the base price of the 2010 Prius is increasing $400.00 for cars arriving at the port after Oct. 18, 2010. Should the dealer stick to the quoted price or should I have to pay for the price increases after the original price quote?

2. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unless you signed a contract for the original pricing (which I'm doubting you did without a car on site), then you'll pay the price the car is on the day it is delivered.

3. dfran1

dfran1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well you could talk to them nicely and ask them to take more off the car for this, but I do not think they will do that (one never knows)!

It is unfortunate that the new cars have these added expenses. Not to be put in the wrong way, if you do not accept then, the dealer will just sell the car to someone else.

Good luck
    Don

4. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is still a long way from Oct. 18th.
    When is yours due?

Sure, you can always negotiate, but the demand is high.
    But, if the options are so perfect for you (that is why you are
    waiting for it), a few $$ more might not kill the deal.

Wait until you find out about the extra $500 for not deactivating the
    Security Alarm system, and the $2000 for extending the warranty
    to 8-years or 100,000 miles (from 3-year, 36k miles?).

5. georgew

georgew New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd speak to the dealer now and see what they have to say...if they tell you that you have to pay the additional cost, take your business elsewhere.

Does anyone know if the MSRP is changing alone or if both the MSRP and cost to dealer is changing?

6. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    All car manufactures have price increases and this would work the same why as it would if you were buying a Chevy.

7. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You should not feel too bad if you only ordered in Sept. I ordered on June 2 and I still don't have a definite delivery date, no Vin number yet and I am somewhat sure I will have to pay the $400 price increase. Plus I don't want safety connect but since I ordered a IV with SR i am gonna get stuck there too!

8. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The V with AT is fairly rarely outside of California. You are welcome to ask them to hold the price, but I doubt they will do that. They will pickup the phone and call the next customer on the list. Now you do not have the car anymore, and you will still be forced to pay the extra money if you order from another dealer.

Keep in mind, this is not something that the dealers are doing, this is corporate Toyota. Nothing we can do about it.

1 person likes this.
  9. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What color are you waiting so long for???

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the definition of "ordered"? Did the order include an agreement as to total price? Did you have an agreement in place concerning price?

The dealer can quote you the price of the vehicle at the time, and if in increases, it increases. Unless you had an agreement in place that specified a final drive it off the lot price, then I'm afraid I say YOU have to pay the price increase, like everyone else. Quotes are estimates given at the time and subject to change. A quote at the time is not an agreement on price.

Trust me, I don't like the increase either, but unless you locked in the price with an agreement then the question really becomes why should the dealer pay for the price increase? Also as noted, unfortunately for you, it's not like you have a lot of supply and demand leverage, if you don't buy it, someone else will.

I would say that regardless, you could ask. Maybe the dealer will be motivated to create good will and the dealer will absorb the loss by paying the cost....it's a long shot but you could ask.

11. georgew

georgew New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For anyone whose being asked to pay this price increase, please print out the following and ask the dealer why.

Toyota plans marketing blitz to reverse U.S. slide | Reuters

My opinion after reading that article is that the dealer has a strong incentive to make you wait, so they can enjoy a larger profit margin from your purchase.

Also, from the same article...

"By widening that dealer profit margin, Toyota is giving its dealers a better return on new car sales and making it easier for them to offer car shoppers a higher price on a used-car trade-in"

So..if you have a trade-in, be sure you have the trade-in value re-evaluated with the dealer.

I could be wrong but I don't see how it can hurt asking the dealer to explain and justify the price increase to you.

12. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Red with bisque.

13. itsnicetobe

itsnicetobe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a Blizzard Pearl with Bisque Leather interior on order with Illuminated door sill and VIP Security System. I did talk to my dealer and said I wasn't too happy with the price increase but did want the Safety Connect and the USB port. I offered $500.00 more instead of the $680.00 and he said fine. I think that is fair. Now I have the $400.00 increase to deal with. Might try "georgew" advice above for that issue. Ordered Aug. 17th and dealer has no info yet.