1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who to call to get the Navigation maps updated

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mssmith95, Mar 19, 2006.

1. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Anyone know how/who to contact to report inaccuracies in the maps?

I have an 06, made in January.

I like on a Cul de Sac, with 9 houses. The street is on the DVD, but the addresses are all incorrect!

When the builder first submitted our street, he used different addresses, and I do remember seeing them on one of the online map systems...but can not find which one (looks like they were all corrected at some point).

My house is 9 years old...so it can't be that!

It just sucks to have to program a non-existing address into the system as my "HOME" address.
    :(

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Oops, I obviously meant "I LIVE on a Cul De Sace"

Sorry for the typo!

3. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Call your dealership to see when they expect the next new nav DVD upgrade. Since you have an '06, it may be a year or more before they update your nav data.

Unfortunately, this is not something that is free, and may cost you...

4. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I read somewhere that the maps are provided by Navteq.
    In that case you can fill in a form on this website: http://update.navteq.com

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My sister's Lexus thinks her house is half-way down the block from where it really is, and my Garmin Street-Pilot has taken me half a block beyond an address I was going to. What really matters is getting you within a block. After all, the thing is supposed to guide you where you want to go.

On my Street-Pilot I don't have to program in a street address for home. I can simply press a button for "This Is Home" when I am sitting outside my house. It ought to be possible to do the same with the Prius NAV. No?

6. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would guess that there are very few Prius owners on this planet that use the Nav system more than I do.

As you may know, the map system is a Denso system. Looking up Denso on the web, I see that it is a Japanese company. See http://www.denso.co.jp/en/.

Inaccuracies: I don't know who to contact.

Updates: Come out only once a year. Said so in my owner's manual, and verified by my dealer. I think they cost $150.00.

Latest Version: My 06, which arrived in Dec 05, was said by my dealer to have the latest version. "Map DVD ver. 05.1".

No. I went there and found that it did not include Toyota or Lexus.

Yes, mine works that way too. Somtimes it is right on, much of the time when I get near there, I start looking for numbers on buildings and mailboxes.

Nav in the Prius works the same way.

Comments:
    I use the Nav to go to about 3 to 9 different addresses each day. When I arrive for the 1st time, I will take a moment, before getting out of the car, to record into my PDA, the long/lat coordinates.

I want to say this again, but differently. There are basically 2 types of addresses that I go to. Small stuctures out in the country, and big campus like places like colleges where I usually don't have permission to park just anywhere.

A. Small structures out in the country. It is amazing how often the NAV system is accurate on these to me. Anyway, generally while sitting in their parking lot, right outside their door, I will record the coordinates into my PDA.

B. Campuses. Vanderbilt is a good example. Say I need to go to the "Stevenson Center". I cannot park anywhere near the Stevenson Center. Therefore after learning where it is, over time, as I park in different legal lots which are a block or more away, I mark them with a P. Say next time I need to go to "Garland Hall". Checking on the web, I see that I cannot park anywhere near that either, so I just put in an address that is close, then move the thing in the NAV to the closest "P" and then press ENTER then GUIDE.

Inaccracies. I have gotten use to them.

Most often, when entering a mailing address, I enter City, then Street, then street number. If the database can't find it, then I try variations on the street name. It could be "boxwood" or "box wood". Notice the space. Sometimes, like one that I went to earlier today, the town name was different. I found this out by entering the street name 1st, then number, then picked a town near to the area which I thought the house was in, and it was correct. Then after arriving at the destination, I recorded the long/lat coordinates into my PDA for the next time.

I hope this helps.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    On my old Garmin all the house numbers are reversed on the street I live. It is a C shaped loop. It was OK as I only use home to get me out the city I am in and on the freeway. After that I just give Belle her nose and she heads for the barn.