1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who will be grill blocking soon?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by markabele, Sep 13, 2013.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Depending on your commute/regular usage you still might be able to benefit from some grill blocking in SF.

2. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Given that temperatures in the San Francisco Bay Area only occasionally get below the mid 40s, how would grill blocking help? Further inland, it often drops into the 30s in the winter: maybe grill blocking would be useful there? All I know is that I had never heard of the concept until it was mentioned in this forum.

3. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You can get benefit from grill blocking at any temperature. But if you don't monitor your engine temp than you are obviously more likely to risk overheating the warmer it is.

Most days my ICE only comes on in a few different couple minute segments. I would probably be fine grill blocking at any temp with that scenario.

Like I said, it really depends on how often/heavy you use the ICE.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I stop grill blocking any time I'm likely to use Air Conditioning. That is, for cooling, not just for dispelling fog up. I can't see blocking the grill when I'm trying to cool the cabin.

5. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You also don't drive a PiP. Very different situation.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does PIP not cool the AC fluid via a big front radiator? Just seems to me if you block front grill while requesting cabin cooling the AC system is going to struggle.

7. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You are correct. I wasn't thinking along those lines but I should have been. (was thinking about engine temp) So upper 80's and above....you wouldn't want any grill blocking anymore.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Blocking works for me, heats up the engine a whole lot faster!

markabele likes this.
  9. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I tried using the foam insulation and it looked like hell. The first couple of days it was fine, after about a week, the outside ends came loose. As stated it looked bad, so I removed it. I've been thinking of a alternative solution, and I found it. I was at Wal*Mart on Sunday and checked out their tape supply. What I chose, was black Gorilla Tape, Tough & Wide (2.88" x 30 yards). It's thicker than normal duct tape, has a nice smooth finish, and fantastic glue ($14.xx). I used two strips to cover the bottom area. One long bottom strip, and two pieces on the top area. I removed my lowered license plate holder to make the job easier. Started with approximately 1/4" piece on bottom flat surface and the same at the top, with the two pieces overlapping in the middle. Bottom section is completely blocked. Overall, it looks decent and factory from about three feet away. It was cool yesterday when I put it on. Would have been easier and more pliable in warmer weather. Looked good this morning after arriving at work. I think it will be durable and last the winter. Here's a few pics. I'll update if I have problems with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks good!

But what if you need to drive on the interstate for over 20 minutes?

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hmm? In the spring, I have to pull hard enough to tear mine to get it to budge. The squeeze method with this 1/2" foam hasn't ever come loose...
    [​IMG]

As for looks, it appears really nice if you notch the back to fit into each vertical support.

Of course, that's a non-issue for those of us who experience real winter... the messy kind, where the Prius is coated with a layer of grim most of the time throughout the cold season.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unless you're driving in temperatures way too warm (quite a bit above freezing), nothing.

At 50°F outside while cruising at high speed, the coolant stays at a steady 195°F on mine with the lower grille entirely blocked.

-1- likes this.
  13. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have been grill blocking for eight years, never have had a piece of foam come loose yet and have been to drive thru car washes with no problems, freeway driving no problems. I don't think it looks so bad and nobody notices unless you tell them. but YMMV.
    001 Grill Blocking.JPG

14. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What do Toyota dealerships (for regular maintenance) say?

15. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What's high speed? I have 75 mph interstates here with a few long uphill segments.

16. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not a thing. :) I do not think they even notice!

17. Currawong

Currawong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn't find any black foam, only lighter-coloured stuff, but it'll do I guess. It only usually gets down to just on freezing where I am, with snow sometimes. I do quite a bit of highway driving, up to about 190 miles a week, but also quite a bit cruising at low speeds through the suburbs (25 mph and below) -- enough lately that I've had the engine switch on by itself quite a few times obviously from being too cold. I'm going to see how it goes with the foam in place in both grills of my 2011 Prius.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Be careful about blocking the upper grill, the smaller upper opening, above bumper. Block 50% at most, or safer, just leave the upper open. The inverter coolant circuit radiator is exclusively behind the upper grill.

19. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I added blocking last fall, except the top opening for the oil cooler, and left it on for all summer. No noticable problem.

20. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Back in the day I used to put cardboard behind the grilles of my old cars, right in front of the radiator. Is this possible with the PIP? I have pipe wrap in place, but it does try to come loose and does look less than optimum.