1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who's driven 4th gen in the snow?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by first_superior_prius, Dec 7, 2016.

1. first_superior_prius

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First big snowstorm is coming in my area. Not a ton of info on snow handling of the 4th gen out there. Anybody with experience want to chime in?

Otherwise I guess I will report at the end of the week...

2. IAPrius

IAPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Interested to hear your report. So far I haven't had any issues hydroplaning in rain but that doesn't really apply to snow.

3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The 1" we got the other day really isn't enough to give a good feeling for how the Gen-4 will handle. My previous Gen2 and Gen3 were both quite good in the snow; I never got stuck and had to drive thru several inches on multiple commutes. Gas mileage really takes a hit though.

pjm877 and Coast Cruiser like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    OEM tires? Or dedicated snow tires?

There seems to be an inverse relation between the need and the adoption of snow tires. 'Round here on the west coast winters are mild, we get the occasional icy stretch, and when precipitation comes it usually also warms enough to be rain. But you see a fairly widespread use of snow tires, maybe 20~30%?

We're below freezing the last few days, ground a bit white, sunny now, but snow expected overnight.

5. first_superior_prius

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I want to see how it handles in the snow with OEM tires before going and buying snow tires. I haven't driven a Prius in the snow before, nor have I driven a car newer than 2003 model year in the snow, so I expect there are some pretty big differences to my previous vehicles.

This week will be a good test, at least 2-3 inches forecast per day for the next week

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We are mild here in Virginia too, but sometimes snow/ice sticks around. Snow tires are generally not used.
    A few years ago, I was looking for Corolla snow tires to prepare for a trip to Toronto. A few places said they could special order so we declined and just took our chances.

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Last week my 2016 Prius at 3400 miles hit a pot hole and blew out the sidewall of the front driver's side Toyo Nano. I bought two Nokian WRg3s and put them on the front (Toyos still on the rear, and one in reserve) so I am ready for the Northeast winter.

JeffD

8. Elt31987

Elt31987 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ill let you know early next week. Michelin X-Ice Xi3 on Tirerack steel rims coming in the mail tomorrow and 8-12" of snow sunday night

9. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    With this setup be very careful when slowing and turning - your front wheels will have better grip than the rear wheels and you may wind up swapping ends unexpectedly. It's advisable to put on 4 snow tires even on front-wheel-drive cars where the rear wheels are just 'along for the ride'.

10. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I'll do some testing in an empty parking lot after the next snowfall and report back.

JeffD

Data Daedalus and Absolu22 like this.
  11. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Got mine w 17" tires last January in Boston.

It was a mild winter, but seemed like it drove like my wife's 2010 with her 15" OEM tires.

Everyone's perception in different, but since I learned how to drive in a '73 Mustang in Rochester, NY I never really felt intimidated by snow in either of these two Prii in New England-- even without good snow tires.

Of course I highly recommend those driving within a few hundred feet of me get a set.

Data Daedalus, RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, that's telling me what your weather's like! I just inquired on another thread about EV, so you needn't answer there now. (y)

13. Absolu22

Absolu22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Winter tires on dedicated steel rims can go a long way for your safety.
    I got Michelin X-Ice Xi3 on my new Prius and it drives very well in the snow and icy roads.

Yes, you can always adapt your driving, but the unexpected can always happen, be prepared, not sorry!

14. Absolu22

Absolu22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Excellent choice! This is what I currently have on my Prius and it drives very well in snow, considerably less noisy compared with other winter tires I have experienced in the past.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Similar here: 15" X-Ice2 on Corolla steel rims. We're actually supposed to get more serious snow, there's currently just and inch or two on the ground.

Still, nothing is a panacea: take it easy, try to stay out of deep snow (Prius has limited ground clearance), avoid unnecessary trips, avoid first few hours after a heavy snow fall (let other's find the trouble spots, give the plows a chance to catch up), keep extra following distance, and for chrisakes slow down, lol.

16. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I am still amazed by peoples perception of the need for snow tires (including mine).
    The "I'll wait and see", actually means "I'll be in the two day lineup at the tire place when the snow starts".
    The "I'll get by on OEM" actually means "I'll be paying $1000 plus for repairs of the fender bender because I saved $500 not getting snow tires".

Pearl S is hibernating in the garage with Nokian WRGIII tires. Because it can snow here anytime, and with age comes knowledge of what -can- happen if you are caught unprepared.

;)

17. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is probably true for your location, but you can only (sometimes) get snow tires here by special order. People do not use them.

Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm often six months out of sync, lol. Both our Prius and our son's Civic have been rolling on X-Ice for a few weeks now, and this Saturday I'm heading for Costco with the Civic's loose rims, to get new all seasons put on, for next spring. Purchased them about 3 weeks back, and got this appointment due to someone (presumably a snow tire purchaser) cancelling.

I actually argued with them, suggested I should come in on a quieter weekday, but hey. I just hope they're not overwhelmed tomorrow. I have had appointments backfire: you show up at appointed time, but get shunted aside by "squeaky wheels".

It's started snowing, about an hour back, btw.

Data Daedalus, alexgrigori and RCO like this.
  19. alexgrigori

alexgrigori Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    I remember reading the advice that 2 tires with better grip must go to the back not front. The applicable for both FWD and RWD cars.

Data Daedalus, RCO and Coast Cruiser like this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ I think it was for newer tires, say you're just replacing a pair, presumably of the same type. Even that I have trouble understanding.

With just a pair of snow tires you would want to put them on the driven wheels. I'm reluctant to say that though: in the snow: competent snow tires, four of them, is the only way to go. I believe it's even illegal to have just a pair snow tires, on the driven wheels? Depends on your location.

#20 Mendel Leisk, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Data Daedalus, alexgrigori and RCO like this.