1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who's driven 4th gen in the snow?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by first_superior_prius, Dec 7, 2016.

1. GTBaker

GTBaker Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    Block the wheel?? This is in the manual?? LOL Did I just buy a Model T?

I've never had emerg brake freeze up on me on any car I've owned.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Lawyer talk?

You're avatar looks like your reaction, btw. :)

RCO and GTBaker like this.
  3. Seaulater

Seaulater Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I also would like to say that Nokian WRG3 is very good tires. All weather they are very good in heavy rain and in the show.

Coast Cruiser and RCO like this.
  4. Elt31987

Elt31987 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So i tested out the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 on the TireRack steel rims. WOW these things work amazing. Traction control barely turns on, stopping is greatly improved, and ZERO hydroplaning in water on the highway. Highly impressed and couldn't recommend them enough.

5. Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Happened to me on a Mustang back in the 80s and again on a Honda Accord in the 90s.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO and frunkit like this.
  6. frunkit

frunkit New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, e-brakes are well known to freeze in cold weather. I avoid using mine below freezing.

It's sort of strange you find something so well-known to be so outrageous. And then state it's never happened to you, as to suggest this is something that doesn't happen, it's made up. It's another great conspiracy, like man-made climate change, manufactured to control people, right?. It's a bunch of baloney?

RCO likes this.
  7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Pearl S parking brakes "corrode" in place when drying in the garage (the car starts with a quiet bang).
    Bruiser (FJ Cruiser) will have problems if the parking brake is used in the garage, if wet. I have to use more than half throttle to break the parking brake pads loose and get a very loud "bang". So I still use the "P" brake on Pearl S, but avoid it in the garage for the FJ.

I find Pearl S is very easy to drive in snow, especially now that she sports Nokian WRG3 tires. The Prius is actually easier to drive than the FJ Cruiser. Probably because it is much lower and lighter (the FJ is 5000 lbs empty!). Even with the FJ in 4WD. Ice can be problematic.
    But when the snow gets deep the FJ is much better. ;)

Love the VSC and traction control of the GIII. Hope the G4 works as well!

RCO and Absolu22 like this.
  8. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I come from VWs, which have had pretty horrific parking brake problems in the past, and parking brake cables freezing is absolutely a thing that happens. I disregard the warnings to not use the parking brake, but hey.

As far as grip... my car has the Toyo NanoEnergy A29s, and I was pleasantly surprised by how well it did hang on the first time it snowed here. Like, I might not actually bother to get hub-centric rings for my Golf's old snows (General Altimax Arctics) on steelies. I'll have to drive it in snow more to see, though.

That said, I found that the stability control killed my fun rather quickly when I tried to provoke oversteer... and that was even when I "disabled" it. Protip, when you turn VSC off, try a Scandinavian flick, the back end just starts to step out, and then you get buzzing and clicking and tons of understeer... that's not really off. Yes, I know, it's a Prius, it's not meant to do this, but...

MrMischief and RCO like this.
  9. texasdiver

texasdiver Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just had an ice storm here in Western WA. I'm driving a 2016 Four Touring with about 3000 miles on the OEM tires and it did OK but I did have to chain up to get out of my driveway on Saturday due to extreme ice. So slippery I couldn't even stand on the driveway. Had no business even being on the road but had to get my wife to work who is in the medical profession and was on call so we had to try. Made it OK. I assume the Prius is a fine snow car as long as it isn't too deep. Little FWD cars usually do fine in the snow with proper tires. I drove a Camry all over Juneau AK for 4 years with 4 metal studded snow tires and usually did better than most of the big SUVs.

Thought about putting snow tires on the Prius this year but decided to put them on my wife's AWD highlander instead because that is the car we are more likely to take skiing and into the mountains and on longer trips. And on snow days we can easily carpool and use one car. I only wanted to buy one set of snow tires this year. Maybe next year. The special order Blizzaks for the Highlander hadn't arrived yet and I figured the Prius was probably the better car on ice with regular tires.

RCO likes this.
  10. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is my second Prius in Alaska, last was 2008 (Gen 2).

On well maintained roads with a good set of snow tires, the Prius or any front wheel drive car is sufficient for regular commuting. They usually plow every 4 inches in most Alaska communities and the car can handle that easily.

My lessons learned:
    • Do not drive like it's still summer! Slow down, increase following distance, brake early, and be especially careful at intersections and around corners.
    • Low rolling resistance tires are terrible in snow and / or ice. You need snow tires.
    • Do not drive when it rains on top of snow and / or especially ice. This applies to all vehicles, not just the Prius.
    • Carry a shovel and tow strap and know how to use them both.
    • Clear off all snow and ice before you drive away. Completely. You cannot see clearly through a gunslit and that snow on top of your car will cover your windshield when you stop eventually.
    • Expect a substantial mpg hit. There's no avoiding it.
    • Use a block heater. This will somewhat mitigate the mpg reduction, but not a whole lot. It will help the occupants with comfort, and emissions are improved drastically, especially below 20F.
    Oh, and lol @ the guy on a 20% grade... I'd be shocked if there's a public road that steep anywhere.

Edit: I'm currently running Blizzak WS80 15" on factory rims. I've used X-Ice before but I like the Blizzaks better.

RCO, Mendel Leisk and Absolu22 like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any all-seasons, low rolling resistance or not, are at a disadvantage once temps are below 7C (45F?), and fugedaboutit when it snows.

A seasonal pic :) :

IMG_6033.JPG

RCO, Data Daedalus and krmcg like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hah, there's another thread here: the guy is adamant he has a 40~45 degree slope.

13. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hopefully that's a misstatement or ignorance, at best. No way anyone could expect us to believe an outright lie that outrageous!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Love the fairy tale moon light scene in the background - it's enough to make this picture go viral on the internet

iPhone ?

Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  15. first_superior_prius

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well after 10 inches of snow over the weekend and another dusting of 1-2 inches this morning, OP back to report. Handles just fine in the snow so far. Neighborhood roads were slick and snow covered, no issues getting started or stopping in 25 MPH zones. Tried to give it a bit of gas and crank the wheel sharply on one turn, no skidding at all.

main roads were reasonable but slushy, no issues there either

highway was just fine after being plowed and salted, so not really a good test of that

Low ground clearance was the only issue but not much you can do about that.

Haven't had it in a strenuous test yet in REALLY bad conditions, nor taken it to a parking lot to put it thru extreme paces. But I am satisfied enough with OEM tires so far

ECO mode is really nice for the snow, forces you into slow starts.

Coast Cruiser, Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  16. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No offense man, but Michigan in winter? The responsible thing, sharing the road, and transporting people you care about: is get some good snow tires, and take it easy.

What'll happen: you'll get confident, because these are brand-new all seasons, about as good as they're gonna get. And make it through this winter. Then next winter, you carry on, situation normal. But you may get a surprise.

All seasons rubber is formulated different, to last longer in summer conditions, but below 7C (45F~) they stiffen up, lose their grip. And after a year, when the tread starts to wear, traction will be shite in snow.

18. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    RCO likes this.
  19. GTBaker

GTBaker Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    I don't think this is 20% but it's close. Our city is full of steep hills. Here's my old Outback.

[​IMG]

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    That is close to 20%, perhaps closer than you may think. I know there is a short section on highway 99 in B.C. that is 16%, ascending to "Duffy Lake" from the west. Both Pearl and Pearl S wanted close to full throttle on that section.
    There is a street in Gibsons in B.C. that is like your picture. Pearl had great trouble backing up the road (reverse is EV only and that poor 40 HP motor was taxed!).

GTBaker and RCO like this.