1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who's driven 4th gen in the snow?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by first_superior_prius, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is another curiosity: My 2017 Trim Two does not have that button on the steering wheel, but the brochure insists I have traction control.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Traction control should stop one wheel slipping in slippery situations - I've never needed it in my PRIUS, but my previous car when on a grassy wet slope, you could feel the system locking one wheel so the other could get grip, but I had to drive very gently to allow movement. TRC helps with this. They've all got Traction Control that I understand, tied in with ABS Brakes and Stability Control computer.

The Manual says:

TRC (Traction Control) (called TRAC in USA Manual):
    Helps to maintain drive power and prevent the drive wheels from
    spinning when starting the vehicle or accelerating on slippery roads
    AND
    upload_2017-3-13_23-7-16.png

Tideland Prius likes this.
  3. madmax75

madmax75 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Heres my take on my gen 4's trac control. Is completely worthless with factory tires. Had to shut it off on flat ground on ice just to get it to move. And you cant spin the wheels fast enough with it off to get unstuck or plow through snow. My srt4 5spd with lsd is a million times better in winter driving. Heck any other car / truck ive owned is way better. If they are calling for stormy weather use a differnt vehicle if possible

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

MrMischief likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've seen a video of a Prius, albeit 3rd gen, going slowly up an icy driveway. Traction control periodically activates, sort of "stuttering" the tire, and without a lot of drama the car does just fine, negotiates the slope to the top.

Toyota's thrown a lot of research into this, and has refined it through three generations now. It's tempting, to assume extra controls are bad, and disabling them will improve things. Maybe when you're completely stuck, but in typical situations, I'd give it a chance.

I've been looking for that video, so far without success. It was linked here on Priuschat at least once, IIRC.

jerrymildred and RCO like this.
  5. madmax75

madmax75 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    It might do better with winter tires. I was really surpised with the little ice on flat ground with no snow i had to disable the trac control. Think the biggest issue with mine is it activates almost immediately but that could be due to the low resistant tires. Maybe if i spring for winter wheels and tires next winter it will do better. But in bad weather and sitting so low either the durango with awd or my srt. Otherwise its done fine on winter roads as long as i take my time turning a corner as these tires want to slide. Has any one ran winter tires on gen 4

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is the button on the steering wheel or the dashboard? I definitely do not have it on the steering wheel, but I have TRAC.

7. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's on the dashboard, on the left side, down low, near the buttons to adjust interior lighting.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looks to be on the dash, to the left of steering wheel, rightmost button in a row of three.

upload_2017-3-13_7-21-16.png

9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I'll need to check again.

EDIT: The button is on the dash, somewhat hidden by the steering wheel. They should have used a different perspective in the manual to show that switch. It would be more obvious from the driver's door, for instance.

#89 Prodigyplace, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Repair Manual is similar: picture locating engine coolant drain bolt ('round back of the engine block) is shown in a small picture viewing from the front. Treats it as transparent...

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I remember that one, but I can't find it either. I see lots of videos showing that it doesn't go at all in the snow and several showing it having no problems at all. I suspect that tires and driving technique are the difference. Here's one on ice with no problems.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On the "missing" video: sounds like wife filming the progress up the slope, and she laughs near the end?

13. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't remember for sure, but it does go with the slight "See? I told you so," sort of atmosphere. Sure wish I could find it. It's a fairly long, steep, curving driveway.

There's another account here, iirc, where a guy told about being parked on a grassy slope at some sporting event and it poured down rain. The pickup parked next to him threw mud all over in trying to back out onto the pavement but eventually made it. He figured he'd be in trouble, too, because his front tires were sunk in quite a bit but he just motored right out with no problems.

Mendel Leisk likes this.