1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who's named their Prius?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MNPrius, Nov 2, 2005.

1. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mine is driftwood too, and the color really doesn't look at all like a piece of driftwood does it? It's more of a shiny light brown or gold. Goldilocks isn't a good name for a car though.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's actually quite simple. I enjoy jokes that I call "10-percenters". In fact, the lower the percentile, the better. You see, I spend a good deal of time in front of people: moderating meetings, teaching classrooms, presenting to groups. A good deal of the time, I'm making jokes. But I don't rely on the low hanging fruit, easy to understand, everybody laughs jokes. I drop little bombs that will cause a few people to chuckle and roll their eyes while going over the heads of everyone else. I have a pretty wide repertoire and can usually get everyone laughing at one point or another.

So where's Priapus fit into that? Priapus is a 5%-er or less. Not only that, I figure that the 5% of the general population of males who know who Priapus is (god's never die) are not offended by his unnaturally oversized, constantly erect phallus. On the other hand, (in my opinion) a great number of men who are not up to snuff with their Greek mythology are probably those same people who are constantly worrying about their own phallus. In order to overcompensate for their phallic insecurities, they chose to put their minds at ease with flashy, oversized vehicles. Their lack of one-ness with Priapus causes lavish extravagances. Again, that’s all just my personal opinion.

So, if a flashy, oversized vehicle was purchased to overcompensate one’s insecurities pertaining to their phallus, then clearly one who feels no insecurities can drive an absolute dorkmobile with complete impunity. But it’s not funny when you make a statement without being able to throw something in the faces of those you are making a stand against. My resolution was to name my car Priapus. Those who get the joke know why it’s funny; those who do not get the joke probably never will and will argue that it’s not funny even after it’s been explained.

See? Simple.

Also, for the record: Some of the best nights of passion the Argonauts ever had was on the island of Lesbos. Oh how I love Greek mythology. :D

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Seems like a better name for a Hummer. :mellow:

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    EXACTLY!! :lol:

5. mjf528

mjf528 New Member

:rolleyes: Snowflake

6. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Excellent! :lol:

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something *like* hyo silver, right, but not...hyo silver?

8. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

These are great!

Jrohland - I love the "Cousin Preesee" name - :) (side note: does Pumpee have a backup battery in case of power outages - if not he might get messy!)

Tony, I thought your name was truly funny but I needed the explanation - I think my Greek mythology stopped with Zeus.

Tumbleweed - you are so right about the color and we've called it "gold car" and "cool car" and "new car" a few times

mjf528 - you must be a northern-er - but snowflake was a name of my childhood cat - yep, I'm a cat person ;)

I'd like to hear more! :p