1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who's thinking about canceling your preorder?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by moolman, Jan 19, 2012.

1. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Regardless of what new models are available, I believe in the future gas prices will go up and all efficient used cars will have a premium over guzzling used cars because of it. I don't think there is a large concern that any 60 mpg car is going to have the resale value too adversely impacted if there are suddenly new 100 mpg cars, especially if most other used cars are only getting 30 mpg.

2. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I expect halving of price every 5 years. In terms of PIP price, I think they should be able to decontent and sell PIP at better prices. So, I do think in 5 years Toyota will have a better PIP.

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you, but I've been thinking that since 1973 when the first energy crisis hit the U.S., and it hasn't happened yet.

Maybe soon, though.

Or, maybe not.

4. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At $3.00 per gallon my classic 2003 prius had better resale value than my pontiac of same mileage and age (but about 1/2 the efficiency).

5. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No way Toyota just told me they are building it in February. Can't wait.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :whoo:this is so exciting!

7. Nevillewc

Nevillewc New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

IBM think they can by the end of the decade (8yrs)

IBM developing air battery with 500-mile range

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Toyota is working on the lithium air battery as well. I don't think it'll become mature enough in 8 years. When it does, pure EVs will become a better choice assuming the cost permit.

9. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just got confirmation my pip was going to be built in feb. Guess i have to do it now. I pressed the cancel button. Reasons to cancel are:

1. No spare tire, didn't realize this when i preordered
    2. New technology seen an international auto show, i'd rather wait for something with more battery capacity. The car is parked in my garage 12 hours a day anyway, seems a waste past the first 3.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hmm... my car is parked in my garage an average of 20 hours a day. maybe i should cancel as well.

1 person likes this.
  11. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a very quiet sarcasm that I really like... :)

12. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, well ya know, he's kind of saying he has more time to charge and it would be nice if the PiP had a larger battery that had more KWH, and would take more time to charge. I think the solution there is to just buy a Volt, with a 16KWH battery, that gets used first, and will get you between 35-50 EV miles.. they are in stock at all of the Chevrolet dealers in my area, so much for "huge demand", most of the dealers have between 3 and 7 Volts each, and they are not flying off the lot..

13. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    That doesn't sound like good news for the future of the Volt (especially since it was very recently 'Car of the year').

Maybe there will need to be a gas price hike and then they will sell well again.

Makes me wonder how many PiPs will be sitting on a dealer's lot, unsold...

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Fifteen miles has never seemed like enough to me, to justify buying a new car, or trading in my 2004 Prius. Long ago, I decided 40 miles was what I needed. I bought the Xebra because it had 40 miles range, and I was happy with it. Now, with 245 miles range in the EV, I've had to buy a battery minder for the Prius, because it doesn't get driven often enough.

I said back in 2004 that I'd trade in my Prius for the next major model revision, but neither the 2010 nor the PiP has seemed like enough of an improvement to justify the cost of the trade-up. I think I'd want a real-world improvement of 10 mpg highway (from my present 50 mpg to 60) to justify the trade, but I'm not even sure about that with how seldom I drive gas any more.

I can definitely understand the appeal of the PiP, as it has all the advantages of the Prius, while providing a small amount of EV. But if I didn't already have an EV that I'm very happy with, I'd wait for the Tesla Model S and 165 miles of range, rather than the PiP's limited EV range and speed. I do think the PiP's use of electric and gas is ideal for its tiny battery, but I'd even prefer a Leaf over a 15-mile PHV.

You certainly would not say this if you ever drove my car! (Not that I'm offering. I don't trust anybody to drive my car. The only exception would be an extremely special ;) lady friend.)