1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why 2010 only Gen3 w/oil burning complaint?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Marine Ray, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What is this warranty extension you are referring to? What qualifies a vehicle under this warranty extension?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Mine is from Toyota Canada, not sure about States.

3. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry, the words I used weren't clear. What vehicle failures would be covered under that warranty?

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Preeeus likes this.
  5. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I'm convinced it is a bad batch of piston rings...but of course nobody has any definitive proof. Or any non-definitive proof for that matter! :D

It is very curious that a large majority of consumption complaints come from us 2010 owners though. However, at this point I'm tired of looking for answers and have resigned myself to top up the oil every now and then.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ours is build-date Aug 09 (it sat around in a covered shed getting dusty, till Nov 10). Only 72K kms now, but no oil consumption.

farmecologist likes this.
  7. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Of course people like you have to chime in and ruin our conspiracy theories... :whistle:

Who knows, maybe it was just a bad run of vehicles, etc...Mendel, do you have a liftback or a five?

Edit...looks like you have the liftback.

8. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some gen2 suffer this also

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well I'm chiming in with one build-month. Maybe the possible bad rings (or whatever) where some other time period. (n)

I have a Canadian Prius Touring model, somewhat similar to the US 2010 Prius V, but without the radar cruise and other high end stuff. Engine's the same across the board I think.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ours is July 2009 and is only burning 20 ounces between 10 k mile oil changes:).

Currently 167 k miles on the clock(y).

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2010 burns more oil when I drive fast (over 70mph). Local driving I burn about a quart in 5000 miles.

I'm doing 5000 oci now so I don't really need to add oil between changes

12. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I noticed that too...whenever the engine is under extreme stress it buns more oil. For instance, going up a mountain pass, etc... And we have done many. Seems perfectly logical too if it truly is a piston ring issue.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh I don't know about that, the premise that if you go to a thicker oil there's no going back. That just doesn't sound plausible. The one concept along those lines that does sounds plausible: if you go to a "high mileage" oil, any grade. The latter swells seals, and going back to regular the seals may shrink back, more.

But I can't see going thicker by an oil weight or two being a one-way journey.

Preeeus, Robert Holt and m.wynn like this.
  15. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Warning - this post contains various ramblings concerning oil consumption in a 2010 Prius.

I purchased my 2010 Prius in Nov 2013 & it is now 4 years later.
    Prius had 100K when purchased. Today it has 226K.
    I have always used the same oil, Mobil 1 0W20 & for now continue to do so..
    I change the oil & filter myself.
    For ~70K I had an oil analysis done by Blackstone Labs every oil change.

For the first couple years I was topping off the oil every few months. I would add 10-12oz at a time, always keeping it full.
    The Prius slowly started using more & more oil. Its maximum consumption was 1 quart every 4500-5000 miles.
    I check my oil at least once a week, if not more often.
    It started to appear to me that the more I kept the oil topped up, the more oil the engine would consume.
    Then I noticed a few other PC members saying (in random posts) that they appear to see the same issue (keeping the oil level at the full mark causes more oil consumption).
    For the last year I have been trying to keep the oil level lower than the full mark. Now I say the oil level is "full" when the dipstick indicates the oil level to be 25-33% low. This is not dangerous to me (or the Prius) as I check the oil level often! This has resulted in a lower oil consumption. I'm not exactly sure by how much. I do know that my last oil change had 11269 miles on the oil & I had added 1.2 qt. during that time.
    Now, knowing that the PCV valve is located very low on the engine I can see how a higher oil level could result in a somewhat higher oil consumption through oil mist entering the intake manifold via the PCV system.

I've only had my Oil Catch Can installed for 3 weeks or so but have done some quick calculations. Based on my limited use I figure the OCC will catch between 7-10 oz of oil in 10K of driving. That is 1/4 to 1/3 of a quart in 10K (& I am being generous in the amount of oil the OCC will trap). The engine is still burning oil but at least some of the oil is trapped before entering the engine.

16. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I avoid filling more than the specified amount, so not all the way to the full mark. Minimal consumption so far, at 83K.

17. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    @jayman is the voice of reason in that thread, Preeeus, shame he is no longer around here. Any of the big-3, a3/b4 0w-40's - M1, Castrol black bottle or Pennzoil Platinum Euro are some of the best oils you can put in any gasoline engine, new or old, so long as we're talking modern era new/old:cool:... And they are light 40's, in the 12-13 viscosity @ 100c range. Our family '07 is finishing it's first run on the Pennzoil after several runs of Castrol 0w-30 and 40. It's runs very smoothly at ~175k miles with minimal "sewing machine tick" the Gen 2's tend to exhibit after a life of run-low-on-conventional 5w-30. I'll run one of these oils for the rest of it's days under my care, or until something better comes along in the $22-25 dollar range for the 5 qt. jug at Wally.

Preeeus, Raytheeagle and JC91006 like this.
  18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sewing machine.....my last 2006 had this problem. I also believe the previous owner ran it low on oil. Tell tale sign

Raytheeagle and m.wynn like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    FWIW, on my latest DIY oil and filter change, I very carefully measured and put in the specified 4.2 liters (4.5 US quarts) and the level is a bit below the top mark, almost 1/4". I've left it there. Our garage is very close to level, I suppose there's a miniscule slope down, front to rear. I did let it drain very thoroughly, as always, ie: leave everything draining, and go in for dinner.

Preeeus, CR94 and farmecologist like this.
  20. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I think in this discussion it's important to realize Mendel's car is just getting broken in. Very low mileage. Pearl S is even lower. ;) Which is why I don't post "statistics" in these discussions.

Preeeus, Raytheeagle, m.wynn and 2 others like this.