1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why 2010 only Gen3 w/oil burning complaint?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Marine Ray, Jun 12, 2017.

1. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I am one of the others that noticed this. On our 2010 the consumption seems to 'settle' about 1/4"-3/8" lower than the full mark on the dipstick. Very odd...but I'm glad to see that others are noticing the same thing ( and I'm not going nuts ). o_O

I don't know what to make of it...but I don't worry about it anymore when the level drops a bit lower than the full mark. And I'm comfortable running it that way...took me a long time to be comfortable with it though. Disclaimer though...you *must* 'know your car' to be able to do this!

Preeeus, kc410 and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A slightly lower level in the sump means less splashing by the bearings, less oil getting sucked into the PCV valve?

Robert Holt likes this.
  3. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just FYI, it looks like it might be about 1.8qt between the lower dot on the dipstick and the upper one.

4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Meaning 1.6 claimed in the owners manual is wrong? I have not measured it.

5. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I read in car mag in the 1960s that your explanation was correct, Mendel, and that to minimize oil consumption from the 'over-splashing' the oil level should be kept noticeably below the 'Full' mark but also well above the 'Low' Mark on the dipstick. That may be safe to do, but only if one regularly checks the oil level to be sure.
    I also read, and I think directly experienced, that over-filling the oil level can cause a kind of 'foaming' of the oil in the crankcase due to the counterweights and/or big ends of the connecting rods actually hitting the surface of the oil. Tthat foaming in turn over-pressurizes the crankcase and can result in oil seal weakening and seepage , usually at the crankcase end seals at both ends of the rotating crankshaft.
    I do not, unfortunately, have direct data or research to prove these points, added to which, the design of ICEs may be greatly altered from the 1960s.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. ATXpriusGal

ATXpriusGal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2010 Prius with a little over 100K miles. My engine oil alert came on 2,000 miles ahead of my scheduled oil change. I took it to my trusted mechanic this morning and he told me I either need a. a new engine or b. a new car! My engine oil was down to the last 1/4. He estimates that there's an oil leak.

I can see from the forums that oil burning is a common issue. I've been a Toyota driver since 1988 (my very first car!) I know that Toyotas are so efficient, they can keep going on and on with good maintenance. This is my first hybrid Toyota, which I bought new, and I have to say, it's been a big disappointment when I compare it to my other Toyota cars. (It's had 3 recalls: electrical, airbag and head light) It's my belief that an 8 year old Toyota should not be needing a new engine!

Has anyone else received the same or similar prognosis for their 2010 Prius?

Thanks so much!

Preeeus likes this.
  7. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    This is interesting. On our 2010 that consumes oil, when I top up the oil to the 'full' mark, oil is consumed noticeably faster for a while and then the consumption drops dramatically once it reaches halfway in between the 'full' and 'low' marks. Probably just coincidence but thought I would mention it. Anyone else see this behavior?

Robert Holt and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I probably wouldn't get a new engine nor a new car. I'd check the oil at every fill up and add when needed. Much cheaper that way. Try to keep freeway speed as low as possibly and take it easy on the engine. Others can offer you maintenance tips, like cleaning the EGR- which would also be much cheaper than a new engine/car.

Preeeus, RMB, mjoo and 1 other person like this.