1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why all the "bridge" hate?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by HybridSpin, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My wife's purse ends up on the floor of the front passenger seat when we're together because there isn't enough room under the bridge. If they had a purse ergonomist* design the space it would make the bridge less of an inconvenience.

Note to single guys: you don't lay purses down sideways. Stuff slides out.**

* I bet there is!
    ** Yes, I know, but it's convenient for them.

2. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Smaller purse maybe? Some of these purses women walk around with are HUGE. I've been knocked into several times by women with these suitcase side purses and they look at me like it's my fault that I walked into their purse... when I was standing there not moving!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a mixed bag.:cool:

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hers isn't one of the more-like-a-shopping-bag things. Just the usual utilitarian cash, credit cards, debit card, payment card*, health insurance card, check book, cellphone, sunglasses, mints, various other discount and reward cards purses. Not small, not big. It's just that the entry gap under the bridge is quite small so it's an inconvenience to use.

* Diversion: gas station chain has one of those unlinked debit cards. Convenience of paying by card, much lower transaction fee for them (15c fixed), discount for us (10c/gal), more money stays in the local economy, less money goes to credit card companies.. It's a win-win-win-win. Note: Maine law means no credit card or debit card surcharges so they have to use discounts.

5. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree with those saying the gen2 car had a more open and spacious feeling, especially for a small car. I'm glad to at least have the opening underneath, but the space there is small and awkward to get at. Dogs jumping on the bridge and/or controls is another concern. I'm not a hater of the bridge, but I'm definitely not a lover.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I drive with very slayed knees, I always want more knee width, no one makes bench seats anymore.

I bet many rural mail carriers have to omit the Gen 3 liftback from their choices, due to the bridge. The Gen 2 was good and I bet the v is as well

[​IMG]

cycledrum likes this.
  7. HybridSpin

HybridSpin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    LOL wouldn't it just be easier for the mail carriers to import a right hand drive prius.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  9. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Random points...

• I'm hopeful the next-gen Prius hatchback gets the V's interior, much more user-friendly.
    • My very tall friend who's wife drives a Gen2 raves about how roomy my Gen3 is up front. Bridge or not.
    • I think the bridge really does "look" good, and I love the way the radio and shifter are right at hand. The looks just don't bring the proper ergonomic functions imo.

10. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I don't really mind the bridge that much, but I agree with everyone else about the creaking noises, especially when it is cold. My other pet peeve about the III is opening the center console when there are passengers in the back seat. Nothing like shoving the lid into someone's legs a few times. I do prefer how the III handles access to the climate control functions as compare to the II.

I also think the III should have kept the MAP button on the steering wheel. It's a lot more convenient.

11. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    oh I SO agree about the missing map button on the steering wheel...

12. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Anti-Eco Company Car

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the buttons on the wheel seems like it should be the other way around, volume and tune on right side.

13. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Having never ridden in a Prius before I purchased mine, there was nothing missing or things to get used to.

I like the bridge and find it convenient when I switch from my regular glasses to the sunglasses as one or the other resides there.

The two cup holders work when I have a diet Coke and a poison coffee working... and the screens are accessible. Coming from a 2000 Hyundai Elantra that was the trade in vehicle and still driving my 2000 Ford F250 Super Duty turbo diesel, the Prius set up made for a fun ride.

14. katiesdad7

katiesdad7 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I love the bridge. Mine did rattle and squeak when new but the dealer took it apart, put some deadening foam inside it and reassembled it with foam pads between all the connections. It has been quiet ever since.

OceanEyes likes this.
  15. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've been lucky that mine is "quiet."

16. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine is quiet also. I don't have any rattles or creaks either. I'm wondering if there is a pattern to the creaks and rattles occurring? Like those that inflate their tires more than recommended get more creaks and rattles because with the added tire pressure it is making the ride rougher. Over time this can cause abnormal wear on parts you wouldn't think of, like interior components? Just a thought here.

OceanEyes likes this.
  17. bgil

bgil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

18. bgil

bgil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The bridge just eats up too much of the small driving space. The fact that there are so many conversations about the design will hopefully factor in to eliminating it next redesign

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  19. TN Traveler

TN Traveler Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The bridge was one of the reasons I decided on a Gen III, would not have bought a Gen II, dash was too weird, my 2010 at 66k is still quite.

20. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It was due to the bridge that I kept holding off on buying the Generation 3. Once the v came on the market though, I was ready and jumped at buying it!!