1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why all the "bridge" hate?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by HybridSpin, Feb 14, 2013.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The bridge probably wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
    It doesn't exist on The Prius v, or the Prius c, my guess is someday Toyota abandons the bridge concept.

2. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Too bad as it created a high tech look I personally like and it was very easy to get used to - but with millions of opinions out there, there will never be a solution that pleases everyone.;)

3. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Absolutely. One thing that cracks me up is the position of the temp up/down buttons on the GenIII. I can reach the climate control so easily with my right hand, it hardly seem that I ever use those two buttons on the wheel.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I'm only guessing. I would only think, it's absence in the Prius v, and The Prius c, would illuminate that Toyota isn't at all commited to the "Bridge" as being a Prius Family icon.

But who knows? Feelings about 'The Bridge" seem to be all over the place. I just have a feeling we haven't seen the last of a regular Prius without a bridge.

5. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I loved our second Gen 2005 Prius... except for one small thing. When I sat on the driver's seat, it felt like I was sitting on a chair, in front of a desk that just happened to have a steering wheel sticking out from it. Horrible driver's ergonomics.

One of the first things I did, after buying the 2005, was to write to Toyota about the car's driving compartment. I mentioned the chair and table and steering wheel thing. Then I mentioned that I knew they could build a car with a driver's oriented cockpit. As an example, I used Toyota's very own '90s Supra interior. If you want to sit in a car that dedicates all driver controls and functions to the person sitting behind the steering wheel, that was one of the best. It was a brilliant design. Here's a Supra right hand cockpit version below:

[​IMG]

The picture really doesn't do it justice, compared to actually sitting in one. The materials on the seats pictured obviously show that not everything can be perfect... black leather seats looked way better!

When I saw the third Gen interior, I was really surprised. You sit in a proper cockpit. The ergonomics are vastly superior to the second Gen's non existent ergonomics. All the controls fall to hand as they should. They basically came up with a modern version of the Supra interior and I couldn't wait until we would own one.

Among all the significant improvements Toyota made from second Gen to third Gen, the best are the driver's compartment with the "bridge" console, the added accuracy and road feel of the electric boosted steering, and the improved road handling and directional stability compared to the previous edition. And on top of all that, the third Gen gets better MPGs!

Would be great if I had been in some way responsible for the console development and driver's environment in the third Gen Prius. Most likely they didn't even read my suggestion, but it's funny that it turned out similar to my example. It sure feels like it, every time I get into the car! I can't imagine not liking the way that this cockpit works for the driver.

Toyota needs to improve the interior with more durable and scratch resistant "soft touch" materials and should figure out a way to bolt things down tighter to mitigate creaking or rattling. Luckily, our third Gen Prius is still solid and doesn't make any noise.

So far, after almost a full year at the end of this month, I can say that our third Gen Prius has not disappointed.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's amazing how far we've come in terms of workmanship for Toyota. Look at the panel gap between the driver's door and the dashboard. The tolerances are much tighter now even on a Yaris.

7. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally I hope not. I really like it.