1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why Americans don't buy Electric Vehicles

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Old Bear, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    One thing bothered me about my previous post: “If you ignore the top 3…”

OK, if you ignore those top 3, that’s 2 million vehicle sales per year…. which means you’d have to electrify 4th through 9th place on that list (RAV4, Rogue, Camry, Equinox, Civic, Corolla) just to get volume parity.

That’s leaving too much of the market unserved.

So… can we get an electric F-150 quad cab for $33k? (seems to be about the median of prices paid from my brief web search)

Now, I realize that an EV owner is likely to save money on maintenance and energy vs. a gas powered same-old. But this is not getting through to many potential buyers.

I have to wonder if the problem could be aided by vehicle manufacturers signing up to become electrical power suppliers. I’m not sure of the correct terminology- I mean those companies that don’t actually own any power generation or distribution but they broker the deals such that a consumer can effectively buy 100% wind power etc. I’d put a different spin on it: Ford sells you the truck for $X, which is less than their normal profit margin. But they also make you sign a contract to buy your electricity from them, giving them a way to eventually recover that profit.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bet I am not the only one wishing for $4-5/gal gas. If and when that happens, literally truck loads of people are going to jump on the EV bandwagon. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

D.A.L likes this.
  3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's like wishing for a recession.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I really doubt that’s enough to do it. Everybody’s going to remember how prices came right back down later and that hope (however irrational) will keep them going.

You really want to spur EV demand? Tear down gas stations. Turn the act of getting gas into a 3 hour process. That way it takes longer to get to the remaining ones and once they arrive it’s a huge line.

5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You maybe right. To be effective, the gas price has to be high and stay high like in CA. Everyone knows why BEV sales are high in that state.

D.A.L likes this.
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    In California it’s all about the HOV lane access stickers. It’s that time-saving convenience that sucks the buyers in, nothing to do with greenness or fuel price.

I do business in California and have many friends residing there. Several of them own PHEVs or EVs. Every single one of them has told me that they’ll drive whatever the state tells them to, as long as they get that solo carpool lane access.

Right now for most other people, the time-saving convenience of replenishing the car’s range at ~6000MPH at the pump is winning.

Merkey likes this.
  7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? So, if your explanation is correct. Hypothetically, if CA abandon solo carpool lane access privilege for any vehicle, but keep the gas tax so high that it would cost $4-5/gal while electricity remains relatively cheap, you still expect decline in BEV sales?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is electricity relatively cheap in cali? i know it varies and many have tou

i do agree that for many prime owners there, hov is the main driver. just check dianne's threads

9. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    We used to send 90% of freight by train, in of itself it didn’t always cause a recession.

Unplanned changes cause recession, instead of burning through our resources first we could actually plan and legislate around the most efficient means.

Repaving highways every year and burning lots of diesel probably isn’t sustainable

When our state mentioned the estimated cost of road repairs needed it was around $100,000 per working resident.

Based on that can we afford what we are doing?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at the state level, yes. at the fed, obviously not. but none of that changes anything

11. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I understand that point. Nonetheless, my point was that for the minority of households that only own a single vehicle (mine, for one) having a BEV as the only car is largely untenable.

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. I think everybody out there who wanted a self propelled virtue signaller has long since bought in. Obviously they will eventually need replacements, and trade-ups, and that there are still some to be sold as fashion accessories, but I think a lot of the appeal is the HOV stickers.

A heck of a lot depends on how long that fuel price stays up. Maybe just an election cycle?

Dimitrij and scona like this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my home province of British Columbia, there is a push for EVs and it's basically all aspects working together to build a community

1. The province is offering $1,500 or $3,000 point-of-sale rebates for PHEVs and EVs (15kWh is the threshold for the lower/higher rebate)
    2. There's the federal incentive of $2,500 and $5,000 point-of-sale rebates (again, unlike the US, this is money upfront at point of purchase. I notice US publications mistakenly label Canada's incentives as a tax credit. It's not, it's a rebate)
    3. The province's utility company is building out DCFC stations across the province and that includes all the rural areas up north so an EV owner can theoretically drive to any part of the province like a gasser. They start with a single dual-charger (CCS/CHAdeMO) station and more popular places now are getting extra DCFC stations (up to 3 in some cases). There are DCFCs at rest stops along the mountain highways in case you need a top up. (As well as at the base of each ascent to top up before heading over the passes)
    4. Most of the DCFCs by the utility company are free to charge (temporary but they haven't stated when they'll start charging a fee). If not, they charge by the minute (21-33¢/min)
    5. Petro-Canada (gas company) is installing DCFCs along the Trans-Canada Highway coast-to-coast at select gas stations. Initially free of charge but will start charging by the minute at some point.
    6. Pretty much all large malls here have L2 charging and they're all free of charge with the idea that you'll be spending money at their mall.
    7. Tesla is building out destination chargers at malls and urban superchargers
    8. Plenty of public charging stations at community centres, parks, libraries and City Halls. The majority are free of charge (Somewhere in neighbourhood of 90-95%). Only one community centre and one city hall that I can think of charges a fee for recharging. For the City Hall, it's in lieu of the parking fee so it's a wash.
    9. Hotels also have L2s. Some have Tesla destination chargers.
    10. It also doesn't hurt that >95% of the electricity generated is hydro-electric
    11. Also, the climate for most of B.C. is fairly favourable for EVs.

The net result is that B.C. somehow beat Quebec as the leader in EV ownership (Quebec had the lead for a long time given their more generous purchase incentive and also hydro-electric generation). 1% of all registrations are EVs or PHEVs and sales are in the 6-7% range.

So my point is that all parties have to work together. It's not a binary "you have to buy more first before we build more" or "you have to build more first before we buy". You kind of have to grow together.

14. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes we do. Mrs Bear and I own a Prius Prime as our only electric vehicle -- and as our back-up gasoline-powered vehicle.

We use the Prime in EV mode for trips around the metro area every day. We've also taken the Prime on many 200 mile trips and several 500+ mile trips. The Prime has been practical and enjoyable.

If our only car were a pure BEV, we probably would have rented a conventional gasoline-powered car for those long distance trips.

It would be nice to have the financial means -- and parking spaces -- to own multiple vehicles: a Cadillac or BMW for long road trips; a sporty convertible for fun trips to the countryside; a pick-up truck for getting mulch from the local garden center; a three-row SUV for taking the kids and their friends to soccer games; and, maybe, a Rolls-Royce to leave parked in front of the house to impress the neighbors.

The reality is that whether one owns one, two or three cars, one frequently will have to compromise when none of the vehicles is perfectly designed for something one wants to do.

#54 Old Bear, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't see the first EV pick ups priced that low, but I don't think they won't become reasonably priced.

The rules governing power utilities vary by state. So Ford becoming a power supplier will mean a fair amount of overhead for them to get into the market, and they may not be able to do so in some states. For example, Pa has an open electric market, except for a couple of townships, including mine, which are exempt from it. So I couldn't buy electricity from Ford for a lower price on an EV truck.

Which is why Glob created PHEVs.

16. Dimitrij

Dimitrij Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As Commander Data might say, "Remarkable". I have a bad feeling in the next few years we may be getting some bad news. Unless they are running a Moonshot-grade underground R&D effort that will to come to fruition just in time for the next recession.

Realistically, yes. Some hardcore enthusiasts will insist that a modern BEV can replace an ICEV as one's sole vehicle, but, as we know, the astute American consumer will listen to many opinions, and then vote with his/her wallet.

- How do you know if someone is a BEV owner?
    - ???
    - They'll tell you themselves, within 30 seconds

#56 Dimitrij, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2019
  17. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a 1981 Comutacar might be the only full BEV I will ever own ;)

18. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thread burying the lede on why EV's don't sell better. Only the eco-conscious or early adopting enthusiasts are willing to pay SUV/luxury car prices for a sedan/hatchback. Make it cheaper than an equivalent gasser, and EVs would sell like hotcakes.

That's basically what Norway did and, surprise surprise, 60% of new car sales are EVs. The numbers tell the tale:
    VW Golf
    Import price:
    $21,500
    CO2 tax: $3,750
    NOx tax: $260
    Weight tax: $2,500
    Value-added tax: $7,000
    Total retail cost: $35,000 (all other fees included)

VW e-Golf
    Import price:
    $30,590
    CO2 tax: $0 (tailpipe-based)
    NOx tax: $0 (tailpipe-based)
    Weight tax: $0 (exempt)
    Value-added tax: $0 (exempt)
    Total retail cost: $31,000 (all other fees included)

I think we forget that cost is often the top 1, 2, and 3 reasons used in car-buying decisions for the vast majority of people.

19. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Sorry if my wording was misunderstood, I did not intend to infer that we should be glad for gas prices going up, but rather be glad we have a PHEV or an EV when gas prices go up. :)

Dimitrij likes this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This.

Price is a huge factor. The draw for people upgrading is a "better car" (typically... yes there's a small majority that are ok with just buying the same car with similar features).

They want more features in their next car than the current one. When they see the price difference and see how they can get all these latest gadgets in a regular gasser vs. an EV that may be missing things like real leather (because we're going vegan for alt-fuel vehicles) or moonroofs (weight) or small wheels (efficiency) and you start to lose that segment of the car buying public pretty quickly. (This similar scenario presented itself when the Prius was new - a Camry with leather, moonroof and a powerful 194hp V6 vs. an oddly shaped Gen 1 Prius with 95hp, cloth seats... eco-car cloth seats, not Camry cloth seats, no moonroof and it starts to lose its appeal to the mass market).

Alternatively, people like a car similar to the one they have now but in hybrid/PHEV/EV form and there isn't one. There needs to be more options (and this is why I think those pushing hard for EVs are a bit blinded by passion. They don't seem to understand why someone wouldn't want a Tesla).