1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why an 8 to 10 mpg difference between our 2006 & 2008 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TeamPace, Oct 24, 2012.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    But the 2005 and 2012 are different generations with different engines and different batterys. Tire sizes are different, the aerodynamics are different. I would expect Toyota to have done better on the 2012, and they did.

2. johnjamis

johnjamis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are exactly right. I just wanted to point out that a 2012 in my normal daily suburban use situation does get several mpg better fuel mileage than the 2005 model. John

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen3 among other improvements warms up faster so less MPG loss in first 5-10 mins (I heard)
    but OP has two Gen2's.
    OP one cause could be steering alignment also.

4. TeamPace

TeamPace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I have continued to analyze and driven our two Prii together, following each other and even swapping drivers and the lead car half way. Same gas, same route, driving charateristics, outdoor temps, winds, etc. Odometer over 25 mile route was within 0.1 miles, so that rules out much inaccuracy in tire size or wear. Mileage was 53.1 on the 2009 and 44.9 on the 2006. That is based on the mileage readouts on the MFD, but I have found in repeated comparison with actual fuel useage that the MFD on both cars runs between 1 and 2mpg to the high side. I'm pretty convinced at this point that the traction batteries are beginning to fade in the '06. The car has about 104,000 miles, so I'm a bit shocked but will continue to drive and see how it goes. The only thing unusual done with the car is about 5% of the time the car has hauled bicycles on it, including some long trips in the mountains. I know that creates tremendous drag and it kills the fuel economy obviously putting a drain on the hybrid train/batteries. Being only 5% of the time though I wouldn't expect great harm to the batteries. I have checked the 12 volts in both cars and both test OK. The 2006 was aligned about 2 months ago and has Michellin Fuel Saver tires which are one of the highest rated for fuel economy. The 2008 still has the OEM Goodyear intergritys. Both are the same/original size. I also base the assumption that the traction batteries may be fading on the fact that the 2006 keeps the ICE fired up for significantly longer periods of time and that the mileage has been steadily declining for over a year. I probably only notice about one bar different in SOC levels between the cars though but then the engine is running more in the '06 to make that happen. Will update this post as things progress. Still love our Prii, but surely hope the traction batteries will hold out for quite some time yet.

R-P and uart like this.
  5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried swapping the 12v batteries between the cars?

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for taking the time to test it thoroughly and keeping us updated. :)

Difference in engine efficiency (due to engine cleanliness and injector condition etc) could also cause an mpg difference. Your observations of the engine running more often and the SOC being generally lower for the 2006 however do seem to point to difference in the HV traction system.

F8L's idea of swapping the 12V batteries is a good one. I would be good to rule out that as a possible source.

7. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Michelen fuel saver A/S gets better mileage than the Michelen fuel saver regualar which gets better milage than the goodyear intergity. Just the differnce between the two tires is worth quite a chunk in MPG.

Further how accurate is your tire pressure between the two cars? You have to have the cars parked for several hours without a heat source affecting them differently (avoid some tires sitting in the direct sun and some in shade). Use an accurate tire gague.

Between the difference in tires and a few PSI it could explain the entire difference.

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Yes but it's the other way around. He has the Michelen fuel saver tires on the 2006 Prius which is experiencing the lower MPG.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's Michelin Energy Saver A/S or Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max. You're mixing the two together. Both are more fuel efficient than the Integrity. :)

10. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Honestly with Priuschat's new wall of text style I didn't read all of his posts.

A few

returns

for more white space would make his posts much more readable.

Though looking at my post I see the new message editor on priuschat makes formatting the message a much more cumbersome prospect than it did in the past. I literally edited this message 7 times to get something close to the white space I was trying for

It seems to remove hard returns if you don't spend a lot of work putting them back in.

If the better tires are on the car with the worse MPG then it is a mystery of an even larger proportion.

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes I was quoting the OP verbatim on that, I thought Michelin might have had a different name for them in the US. TeamPace can you clarify exactly what tires you have?

If you're sure that it's differences in the traction battery that's causing it, then what I'd is to try to find a nice quiet stretch of road that's pretty flat and measure the distance it can travel at low speed (say 25MPH) before the engine kicks in.

What about this for a test procedure (assuming you can find a suitable stretch of road and time of day that you can go 25 MPH)

0. Check tire pressures and oil levels to make sure everything is the same. Then one at a time test each car with all AC heat and other accessories off.

1. Take the car for a drive and get it well warmed up then let it idle to stage 4. Check that it's in stage 4 and the engine cuts out at low speed glides. Try to complete this with 6 bars SOC.

2. Stop near the beginning of your flat test road and force charge it until the 7th (green) SOC bar first comes up, then stop charging immediately.

3. Use the ICE to accelerate up to 25 MPH and then backoff and let it go into full electric mode.

4. Keeping very gentle and steady accelerator pressure, just enough to maintain 25 MPH. Record how far it travels before the ICE cuts in and how many bars of SOC are showing when this happens. Report the differences of the two cars.

This result could be very interesting. Don't forget to have all heat and accessories off when you do the actual glide part. BTW if you didn't know, to force charge you just leave it in "D" and with your foot firmly applying the break you gently rev the engine at the same time. You'll see the arrows showing the battery charging when you do this, and assuming that you're starting 6 bars, then the 7th bar should come up in just a minute or two.

12. TeamPace

TeamPace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The tires on the 06 are the michellin fuel saver a/s and it gets the worse mileage. They are the same original size on both vehicles.

I haven't done quite so extensive glide tests as mentioned but I do routinely drive the cars over the same routes. The '08 clearly goes farther with the ICE shut down, sometimes I can glide over a mile on smooth flat road whereas the '06 does maybe half of that. Also sitting through a long drive thru the '06 will fire up the ICE whereas the '08 does not. This has been observed many times. Even my wife said she notices a clear difference between the two cars.

I had the dealer test the 12v in the '06 and they said it was strong. Pretty positive the previous owner had replaced it. Also using the MFD tests for the 12v in both cars shows the '06 has the stronger battery. I'm convinced this isn't the issue.

Tire pressures checked with same guage at same time. 38psi front, 37psi rear on both cars. Both cars run fine.

I plan on replacing plugs for the '06 soon but it is not miss-firing and runs smooth.

I think the difference in fuel economy difference is too great for there not to be a clear problem. If it was just 2-3 mpg I wouldn't be concerned, but 8-10mpg difference on a consistent basis means something is not right. I have started looking at rebuilt battery packs. Re-involt looks like they have been around awhile and now I see hybridbatterydepot.com that looks promising with a price of $1699 and free delivery. Both offer an 18 month warranty. I may try to do the swap myself eventually. I certainly will wait awhile and see how the car does but as I have said, I'm becoming convinced it is slow fade on the '06 pack. I think the Prius fleet is now getting sufficient age that we will see that many, but not all of the packs are going to last the life of the car. I also think we will begin to see more and better replacement battery options for hybrids. This isn't the end of the world and it will likely vary quite a bit between different drivers, vehicles, and conditions. The '06 has gotten a bit more stress from having hauled bicycles on a rear rack over thousands of miles, some in the mountains. But 95% of the time though it has had a pretty easy life.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I don't trust the MFD's...sometimes my 2006 MFD is reading steady 50-51 MPG then I stop for gas and then I am down in the 45-46 range. I don't think in reality my MPG is changing it's just the display...usually turns out the lower value is more realistic with the fill-up data calc.

14. TeamPace

TeamPace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, but if you check consistently I think you will find the MFD will average within 1 to 2 mpg different (nearly always too high). Yes sometimes it will seem like it is much more than that but that is more likely due to the inconsistent fill levels that different pumps cause and the type of bladder tank the prius uses. If you keep a long term log you should find it averages out much closer. Both of my Prii average within 1 to 2mpg of the MFD as I check them and average them over many tanks.