1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Why Are Hyundai's EVs So Good? And Why Are Toyota's So Bad?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by FalconSeven, Jan 22, 2024.

1. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How do they feel? We’ve heard two different stories from them

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What of the other EV makers? Toyota offering less range, slower charge rates, and lower performance for the same price doesn't just apply to comparisons with Hyundai.

A slow down in EV sales likely means still faster than other segments.

Tesla's outlook of slower sales is based upon the fact that many of their models lost the federal credit for 2024.

The rental fleet segment is very different than retail.

4. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What Percent Of US Car Sales Are Electric? (jdpower.com)
    "Electric vehicles account for less than 1% of the 250 million vehicles, SUVs, and light-duty trucks sold in the United States. Because only around 17 million new cars are being built each year, changing the vehicles from gas-powered to electric will be a long process, especially as far as the government is concerned."

Might be time to take a break from the EV shrilling going on here at Prius Chat and pause for a deep breath and take a more balanced sensible view of EV's!

EV's are great but they are not the end all and be all that many here portray them as.

#24 John321, Jan 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
  5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk what ev shrilling is, but i don't think it's too much to ask toyota (and others) to make some competitive ev's.

this isn't the toyota fanboy forum.

Danno5060 likes this.
  7. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Toyota isn't a company I would currently look for if I would to buy another BEV. PHEV, yes, BEV, no

Tideland Prius and Trollbait like this.
  8. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, it's not. I wouldn't buy a BEV from any of these two. Heck, I wouldn't buy another vehicle from those Korean manufacturers but did buy Prius Prime...

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There PHEVs are compelling. Shame they aren't able to make them in any decent numbers. Closest Rav4 Primes to me are in NYC.

sylvaing likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And this is what bugs me. Toyota said they put in a smaller battery to help keep costs down and offer a lower price yet it's priced the same as the competition!

Usually Toyota has an edge whether it's efficiency, workmanship or quality of materials. I'm having a tough time finding an advantage of the bZ4X. The RZ definitely has an edge over the bZ but I sat in one with the Executive package (so ultrasuede interior, pano roof etc) and some of the overhead buttons remind me of the Gen 2 Prius! It did not scream Lexus interior to me, but more of a Toyota interior and that's not really acceptable for an $80,000 CAD vehicle. I feel more pampered in a $50k CAD ES300h.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They might have designed them for the Chinese market. Heard the shorter ranges are more the norm there. The higher prices here could be to help subsidize them there.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That's not going too well for sales here in the usa.

#32 hill, Feb 8, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
  13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But we are only the third largest EV market.:rolleyes: The earlier Lexus BEV only got released in China and Europe. Toyota might think we are lucky to get anything.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but isn’t there an even smaller battery (and cheaper) version sold there?

Yup. US has to realize that they’re not the first market for EVs. Manufacturers are building EVs for Europe and China due to their policies.

15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Bloomberg said that the estimated global plug-in growth in 2024 will be around 20%, down from 40% in 2022. That is rapid growth in a stagnant auto market. They expect growth to accelerate in 2025-2028 as battery plants are completed and costs and hopefully prices go down. I doubt that tesla is losing many sales because of lack of US incentives, they likely are keeping prices where they are to increase profit margin as costs continue to fall.

Agree that the rental fleet is very different than retail and not very important to tesla's top or bottom line.

16. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota is outstandingly positioned to take advantage of the current Automotive fads:

An entire fleet that all have Hybrid offerings of each model
    +
    Lexus Plug in Hybrid
    Prius Prime Plug in Hybrid
    RV4 Prime Plug in Hybrid
    +
    bZ4 all electric model
    A Lexus SUV that is all electric/American Made/with an American Made Battery(Late 2024/early 2025)
    +
    American Eletric Battery Manufacturing Facility located in North Carolina.

No wonder Toyota is in such great Finanancial shape and enjoying a Financial bonanza in the current market conditions.
    Toyota remains the biggest car company after 2023 record sales (motor1.com)
    "For the fourth year in a row, Toyota is the best-selling automaker in the world."

Toyota to invest $1.3B at Georgetown, Kentucky, factory to build battery packs and new electric SUV (msn.com)

I thought reading the post here that Toyota didn't know what they were doing?

#36 John321, Feb 9, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Toyota Vs. Tesla: Growth Versus Value, Which Is The Better Option Right Now? (NYSE:TM) | Seeking Alpha

A major reason Toyota is fearful to build battery charging infrastructure as well as battery plants is due to how huge their debt load is. All the while they claim to believe EV's are not as substantial as they are worldwide. Huge Capital outlay devalues their stock & creates an ever-increasing debt load. That's why they want to stick with ICE - because that capital outlay as well as hybrids expense are already up front paid for.

#37 hill, Feb 9, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    bisco likes this.
  18. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No idea. If so, perhaps Toyota designed for China, leaving limited space for a more capacity elsewhere. There are other possible reasons, but I'm going with what happened with the gen4 Prius Prime. They just completely ignored what others had and were doing, and stuck to their preconceived notion of plug ins only work as short range models.
    There is also the higher energy prices there.

Yes, 20% growth is a notable slow down from the 40% a couple years ago.:rolleyes:

Ford and others delaying their, higher than Toyota's, EV investment is not a sign of the segment failing. Just that the unprecedented growth didn't continue(see first statement). Claiming such also ignores that there other factors in play. Higher interest rates are higher than when Ford was setting these plans, and the Union contract wasn't a non-event.

GM had unplanned delays with their EV releases. Without those cars to counter their popular ICE models for CAFE, they increased their timeline for bringing PHEVs back. And they were planning to do such with California and other major markets here going to plug in only new in the not distant future.