1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Why Are Hyundai's EVs So Good? And Why Are Toyota's So Bad?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by FalconSeven, Jan 22, 2024.

1. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Word salad.

Toyota knows what they are doing and is doing it very well would have sufficed!

#41 John321, Feb 9, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Consider the politics of EVs in the US . Consider the megaphone enjoyed by one current candidate, his previous statements re EVs and what would happen next year if that candidate was elected. How soon would the tax rebate strategy of promoting EVs be cancelled? What effect on EV sales would that have? And, facing that possibility, how would you position your investment dollars?

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What are you replying too?

A consideration for the US market, but global car companies need to consider China and Europe, and More EVs are selling there.

4. Danno5060

Danno5060 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Selling to the Chinese market isn't going to work - for anybody right now, or possibly in the future at all. I also think there's still some serious supply chain issues that have yet to be resolved for batteries, sensors, displays...

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota is risk averse and has a huge dealer network and factories to support. Toyota can also borrow at lower rates than a company like tesla so debt makes more sense, although the load seems very high given what happened in 2008. It is likely the dealer network is resisting as they would need to invest and would likely have to layoff the repair and maintenance departments. Toyota would likely shift labor from car factories to anouther companies battery plants. Lots of reasons not to transition if they can stop the world from going electric. Since BEVs are gowning rapidly it seems like a dumb idea not to invest, competition outside japan will make toyota lose market share and dealers no matter what they do.

hill likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At one time, Japan banking had negative interest rates on deposits. At the time, I didn't check to see if they had positive interest rates on loans.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    China is now the largest passenger car market in the world. In order to sell anything there, a company needs to sell an EV. That won't change too much with economic troubles. Nearly all of Toyota's BEVs before the bZ4x were China only models.

The supply issues will be resolved. Investments for some components were made years ago. It just take time to build.

8. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My local small town small Toyota dealer completely gutted and remodeled their showroom, service area, waiting area, etc about 4 years ago. Then late last year, two charging stations showed up in front of the store. It may be a requirement to keep selling Toyotas that the dealer does some of these things. Will be really interesting to see as EVs grow if they are able to keep any trained techs assuming that having a trained tech or two is also required. .

austingreen likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My experience has been the charging stations are behind gates locked outside of business hours. When you get in, they have inventory blocking the charging lanes.

Bob Wilson

#49 bwilson4web, Feb 9, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    3PriusMike and hill like this.
  10. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The dealer's two charging stations are side by side in parking spaces that couldn't be blocked. Right in front of the showroom and where my wife would park for a few seconds when we were dropping off one of my cars for service (all routine). There are dealers all in a row (Nissan, Ford, GM, Toyota) so there may be others in the area. Haven't been in any of the others.

Stelantis on the other side of town.

No Mazda, Kia, Hundai, Lexus, Porsche, VW, BMW, Polestar, Volvo, Audi, MB, Land Rover, other EV makers in town, Those are in Cary/Raleigh 45 miles up the interstate. The Tesla sales and separate service shop is 60 miles away.

On the other side of town (8 miles) there is a 12 stall Tesla charge park just off the interstate and near a grocery store and Starbucks.

11. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Consumer reports doesn't know what they're talking about. Mini isn't reliable at all. probably worse than chrysler. Is it true that consumer reports praises every car because they get them for free from the manufacturers and if they bash the car manufacturers we'd stop giving them cars?

12. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think that CR says that they anonymously buy every car they test

Car Testing - Consumer Reports

Mike

Chodronish, Trollbait and bwilson4web like this.
  13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It took Consumer Reports over a decade before they published fair reviews of the Prius. Curious coincidence, the rise of EVs occurred about the same time. Soon CR was flogging EV, especially the Teslas. But that coincidence might have been Toyota fixing a lot of long standing shortcomings. But I am not a fair observer of CR as I'd stopped our subscription in 2012.

I switched to picking up or now, newsstand reviewing the CR annual editions. I soon realized they 'cut and paste' their first review in the subsequent years. This explains why their reader surveys are at odds with their one and only review of the first model car.

Other car reviewers like Car and Driver, publish original reviews. That means they stay current with the vehicle(s) over time.

Bob Wilson

14. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    and the Canadian Market is very far behind that crowd....waiting 2 years for a Rav4 Prime ....is disgusting

Tideland Prius, hill and sylvaing like this.
  15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    never heard @Zythryn complain about HIS mini. Never heard a peep out of our plugin pacifica either.
    IMG_20220419_121814.jpg

Maybe someday a manufacturer will be able to claim they haven't had tens of 1,000's of vehicles recalled at one time or another.

#55 hill, Feb 10, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  16. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Minis are notoriously prone to issues. I have never been a member of a car model group with so many people discussing where to get parts or how to fix things that went wrong.
    I was actually... gobsmacked when I saw that CR rated them with a high reliability. I was wondering if that covered the first 1 or two years only.

All that said, almost all of the issues seem to be with the engine. And since mine doesn't have one, I suspect it will continue to have great reliability;)

douglasjre, Tideland Prius and hill like this.
  17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The issues I've heard of for the i3 all involved the REx.

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm hoping that goes for Kia too :LOL:

Yup.

hill likes this.
  19. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If Consumer Reports actually said that I'm done.