1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why are liberals more concerned with....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by desynch, Mar 15, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Because the likelihood of global warming adversely affecting myself(more likely my children) I believe is vastly more significant than the war on terror. If you really cared about the deaths of innocent americans, why don't you do all you can to bring down the tobacco companies which kill over 400,000 americans a year? That's 130 9/11 casualties.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    desynch you've not been around for every other round of this discussion we've had, but let me bring you up to speed on my stance...I don't speak for all democrats or liberals, but I think a lot share my general view....

1)I thought going into Iraq was wrong even when I believed that they had WMD based upon the evidence the Bush admin. presented to the UN. I still think it's wrong and I'm pissed that the responsibility to get us out now falls into the hands of the democrats. It's a lose-lose proposition at this point...

2)What I would do/would have done is to redouble the efforts in Afganistan. I would work VERY hard to strengthen our relationship with the nations of the Middle East in an effort to enlist their energy, money and effort in quashing the terrorists. If you believe there's any way to stop them other than that you're out of your gourd. There's no air plane, bomb, or gun that'll stop terrorism. It must be stopped or at least held in check by the nations in which they prosper and from which they are funded.

3)We'll never set up a stable democracy in the middle of nations under Muslim law...it's just a pure fantasy.

Now, getting our troops out is a VERY sticky situation and I certainly don't have the diplomatic resume nor foreign policy savvy to know how to do it. But that's why we have people who do know how to do that stuff.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When we are done erradicating the world of Muslims can we take out a large percentage of the nutcase Christians, especially those in our government, who hold some pretty negative beliefs AND act on them?

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/03...at_gets_fun.php

The original article is even worse

http://albertmohler.com/blog_read.php?id=891

No, I don't want Muslims to have free reign yet neither do I want christians like this running my country with unchecked power like it is being run now. It's just another type of terrorism.

4. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    efusco, sounds good.

F8L.. The "Christian Right" is who we can thank for our current administration.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 15 2007, 08:18 PM) [snapback]406523[/snapback]</div>
    I know, sickening huh? :lol:

Ok that was all the hate I can expend for one day. :)

6. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 15 2007, 09:27 PM) [snapback]406452[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 15 2007, 09:27 PM) [snapback]406452[/snapback]</div>
    Shhh. It doesn't blink. And it hears everything.

7. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 15 2007, 06:00 PM) [snapback]406439[/snapback]</div>
    What was so bad about the Taliban?

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Mar 15 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]406447[/snapback]</div>
    Ironic, they dont even try to capture and try former Nazi's and they go after Rumsfeld? Good example.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Mar 15 2007, 09:31 PM) [snapback]406456[/snapback]</div>
    And so what - they are increasing the amount of co2 and greenhouse gas production at what 35% per year - you honestly believe they are going to tether their economy to Kyoto. Rumor has it NoKo signed multiple agreements too :lol:

If you can, show me how they are living up to thier signing of Kyoto?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Mar 15 2007, 09:35 PM) [snapback]406460[/snapback]</div>
    You honetly believe that? So when will GW kill terrorism - 2150 :lol: In fact i think you are completely wrong on that. Islamofascism takes over the planet we will stop using fossil fuel almost totally - no? Women wont be driving (or voting, or showing skin, or leaving the bedroom/kitchen) much less working, there will be no need for industry, technology, medicine, courts, jails, printing presses, communications - it will be a return to the Flintstones - but then again thats what you favor.

Even if gw is true, which presents the greatest threat to us at this time? And do you not think the scarce resources we will be allocating to GW belongs being spent on the poor, the hungry, the impoverished - humans with IMMEDIATE needs? If we abide by all the Kyoto stuff etc etc and spend and dislocate hundreds of billions of dollars what is the goal we are shooting for - 0.5C over the next 100 years?? is that worth overlooking pressing issues that can benefit again IMMEDIATELY from our help?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Mar 15 2007, 09:52 PM) [snapback]406468[/snapback]</div>
    how many cars are there there? a grain of sand on a beach - washed away and irrelevant

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Mar 15 2007, 10:03 PM) [snapback]406479[/snapback]</div>
    US doing nothing? Jeez - how much do you hate my country - in your humble opinion does my country do anything right? Why do you even bother living here?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Mar 15 2007, 10:50 PM) [snapback]406509[/snapback]</div>
    try living in New York or Wahington DC.

9. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Mar 15 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]406479[/snapback]</div>
    IMHO you are the liberal poster child.. Everyone else is right and America is wrong. Communist China is truthful and they really really are trying to help the environment... right..... America isn't doing anything about it... right......

10. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Did Dragonfly really say China is better then the US? He commented that China is taking public steps (and yes PR is big part of that) to focus on the problem. Will they succeed? Who knows. Are they publicly acknowledging that something needs to be done? Yup and we shall see how much of this is the political bureau talking. I for one will be holding my breath (...get it : bad air -> holding breath ...?) should I ever visit China or live down wind from them.

Germany has and still is going after Nazi war criminals, fortunately those members claiming to belong to master race don't live much longer then the average human being, so I would say most of them are dead by now. Germany is still trying war criminal in absentia, talking about spending money to come to terms with the past. Before you make such a statement do your research, better yet live there for a while, integrate and attend schools. I know from personal experience that history in school is disproportionately focused on 3rd Reich history and we used to get our daily mea culpa in 2 to 3 chapter dosages.

Rumsfeld (nice German name by the way: Crashfield) is just another waste of time and waste of money. Someone is looking for some talk show appointments on German TV.

I am not believing that you guys are so short sited and unimaginative that you equate the desire to curb GW/GCC (never mind if its happening or not) with back to the stone age? Are you driving a horse drawn carriage right now? If you indeed own a Prius, you should know that the human creative and scientific spirit is alive and well and that small and easy to implement changes in our daily lives can have a large impact without having to inconvenience anyone.

11. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So they signed a piece of paper that said they'd try harder... I can sign a piece of paper that says I'm an astronaut but it doesn't make it so.

12. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 15 2007, 07:14 PM) [snapback]406377[/snapback]</div>
    This is nation building and Imperialism. I seem to remember back in 2000, a certain presidential candidate blasted his predecessor and his opponent for taking part in nation building, and promised No Nation Building, focusing on domestic issues instead.

Flash forward a few years, and we find ourselves advocating spreading our very specific kind of Jeffersonian democracy, and struggling to do so successfully in Iraq.

If this was still the age of colonialism, and we could be "civilizing" the people of the middle east by changing their government, then I'd say great...

But this is not the times we live. I believe we have made a egregious error by nation building that will cost us for generations to come.

13. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 16 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]407059[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah but we would know since you would be wearing diapers and a wig :p

14. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 16 2007, 01:21 PM) [snapback]406842[/snapback]</div>

Liberals do not think this way about America. I find it extremely insulting for you to imply that liberals hate America.

There is nothing wrong with criticizing specific policies of our country in a constructive manner. Personally, I find that all but the most extreme liberals are constructive in our views.

To imply that our patriotism is in question because we think that there are things about our American system here that aren't perfect is extremely insulting.

15. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lywyllyn @ Mar 16 2007, 07:29 PM) [snapback]407072[/snapback]</div>
    LOL .. classic.

16. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 16 2007, 08:41 AM) [snapback]406691[/snapback]</div>
    Great Post!

17. kayemarschke2

kayemarschke2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 15 2007, 06:35 PM) [snapback]406391[/snapback]</div>

My thoughts exactly,,,,why isn't he???

18. JamieS

JamieS New Member

So, you're not into planning for the future, are you?

The fact that there are so many hungry and impoverished people can be blamed on the excess with which the rest of us live. This excess can also be blamed for environmental problems. The way I see it, if we were to play our cards right and have a full, collaborative effort, we could solve many problems at once. Ah, wouldn't utopia be nice?

19. jewelerdave

jewelerdave New Member

Where I am from most "liberals" don't trash talk about the troops. Everyone I know agrees that war is not a good thing. it is also universally agreed that global warming natural or human caused is a bad thing for most of us.
    I don't think that people who have a more liberal bias are more concerned per say about global warming over terrorism but we must keep in mind that these are two very unrelated topics and problems as to the larger whole.

The hard fact is that everything is in constant change. The world around us is always changing and why people focus on single problems is beyond me.
    It is easy to focus on issues such as global warming, terrorism etc because is more in your face than say the number of people who die in car accidents, or have heart attacks, or die from some random act of stupidity to witch the number of people killed day in and out far out number those killed in wars or by terrorists or climate change.

People have a very confused outlook on Iraq. It upsets me that many people die every day over there. what infuriates me even more is the amount of education by your average joe blow American here as to why we are at war and why things are they way they are over there are just as knowledgeable out the situation as the 17 year old insurgent that has a 1st grade education. We have a clash of Ideas, fueled by propaganda on all sides. And in the mind of everyone involved they are all thinking they are in the right.

Iraq fact 1. This country had the 4th largest Army in the world not to project force but to keep it from falling into civil war.

Fact 2. We took that army apart and replaced it with an army 1/2 the size and being an invading army is never popular amongst the locals. especially long term.
    think if in the 80s the soviet union invaded this country....every redneck and guy with a gun would drive them out or at least try. this is the reason given as to why we dropped atomic bombs on japan. the same fear of fighting a civilian population. War is a dirty and nasty business. And so is control. To control a population you must turn them into debt based consumers, divided by smaller ideas and views to keep them divided yet unified under fear from danger and with financial control via debt. or, you can force them to submit via military occupation and just kill anyone you dont like, bully around to get what is needed and in time create a society of consumer and debt occupied peoples.

None are perfect systems, none are really right. no one is really right. Its just how it is. But if you can recognize how it is it makes getting though life a little more depressing and realistic. Yet reliving at the same time!

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 15 2007, 09:00 PM) [snapback]406439[/snapback]</div>
    Here Here! I agree with this totally.

As to the thoughts of the OP, if we are really at war with Muslim fundamentalists, then why are we standing around in Iraq making our troops stationary targets. Let's go out an really blast all of those Muslims in all of the other countries before they can get us. Why ######-foot around? :blink:

Tom