1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why are our soldiers dying for this?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Totally unrelated.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 7 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]298982[/snapback]</div>
    (This could erupt in another debate war... and I'm ready for it.)

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Aug 7 2006, 10:05 AM) [snapback]298983[/snapback]</div>
    No it is not. Both are demonstrating for the same terror group - only much larger mass of supporters in England.

However, I support their right to demonstrate. I think it is great on every front. I think its great that they can demonstrate in FREEDOM without FEAR of the government chopping their heads off. I think it is GREAT that it is broadcast all over the world so their relatives all over see what is possible in a democracy.

NO other debates needed - the world understands what is happening witnessed by the continued support of Israel's actions in Lebanon.

My only problem is that Olmert is not acting aggressively enough - but I think his hand is being forced now.

Interesting though that after Haifa being struck last night and mostly Israeli Arabs being slaughtered - No pictures on the front page of al-Reuters or al-CNN, no cries in the UN, no moral outrage anywhere in the world except in Israel. So be it - the silence speaks the truth - Lebanon/Hezbollah will now be taken down.

Where is the outcry like Qana created? I dont think Haifa was involved in this current conflict with missiles being fired from it towards the Hezbo's - just innocent civilians slaughtered.

3. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Aug 6 2006, 07:53 AM) [snapback]298584[/snapback]</div>

You realize that option would be genocidal; and against a country never attacked us.

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Aug 7 2006, 10:43 AM) [snapback]298997[/snapback]</div>
    I dont disagree in concept - would hate to kill so many innocents.

People better start putting the pieces together - this is Islamoterrorism vs. Freedom. Another theocracy without the Hiel part - trying to dominate the world. I hope we can all agree that we should prevent at all costs Iran from going nuclear.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 4 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]297842[/snapback]</div>
    Yee of little faith. I can not imagine how we handled WWII with a third of the population we have today? And think of all the cold war battles that were multi-fronted. What % of US forces are involved in battle today? And if we are unable to support multiple fronts at this point, I am sure you support us ramping up our capacity to do so and do it quickly?

6. Mirza

Mirza New Member

What happens after Iran (which by the way, is NOT violating the nuclear non-proliferation treaty!).... who's next? France? Saudi Arabia? Brittain after that? Are you really that blind to what is going on?! Military actions are causing extremism! I've explained it so many times... Iraq, Iran (look up it's more recent history), Afghanistan... I could probably fit more in, but I'd need to do more research on them (such as Nicuaragua).

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Aug 7 2006, 11:14 AM) [snapback]299013[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing after Iran except cleaning up the clinton North Korea mess - and making damn sure that no islamoterrorist gains controls over a nuke - you would want that??? can you not see the forest through the trees here.

Other answers to your questions:
    France - makes no difference what weapons they have - they never use them anyway
    Saudia Arabia - not stupid enough to go for the nuke
    Britain - have had it for decades - at least they know right from wrong.

No more nukes for nuts. And yes Iran is violating every treaty - and the UN just gave it another warning - and their nutcake Pres just called again to wipe Israel off the map - u want him to have a nuke?? And why do they need nuclear technology???

Come on here - you are just kidding, right?

8. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 7 2006, 10:20 AM) [snapback]299020[/snapback]</div>
    What would happen to our troops in Iraq if we were to bomb Iran? The shiits who are our "friends" would go pulp fiction on us right?

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 7 2006, 11:35 AM) [snapback]299026[/snapback]</div>
    Never saw that movie. I do no agree with you at all. I think Iran is heading towards democracy as we speak - we just need to get rid of their current dictator.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 7 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]299009[/snapback]</div>
    IF, huge if, the only option was to ramp up forces to support multiple fronts then I'm very much in support. The thing is that we shouldn't need to be in this position in the first place. Iraq was an unnecessary and ill concieved invasion of a soverign nation that posed no immediate threat.

N. Korea, though not an immediate threat, is a much much more dangerous threat to us in the near and long term...and we negotiate about how to continue negotiations while N.K. fine tunes their missle systems that will clearly be able of reaching US shores.

Iran makes overt threats to Isreal rallying the rest of the radical muslim world...that sounds like an imminent threat to me...at least more of one than Iraq ever posed, yet we can't do a damn thing with our troops spread all over Iraq and Afganistan, Nat. Guard troops are worn out, most having served longer than they were promised they ever would have to.

Ok, could/would we find a way to support fronts...sure, we rally behind the red,white & blue, we start rationing, we do into a depression...all those major sacrifices that had to happen during WWII.

My point is that wouldn't it truely be better to have avoided getting into this situation from the start? Do you hard liners really honestly not see that there was time to deal with the Iraq situation in a better, more well considered way that could have prevented such major US depolyment and encouraged UN and international support rather than the general alienation from them as we now have?

If you honestly can't see how bad this situation is getting and how close we are to it running out of control then I feel badly for you. The signs are all there. Historical precedent is there for support.

I'm not claiming that I, personally, have the answer, it will be a difficult and complicated answer and there will be loss of American and foreign life with it, and I can accept that. But not the pointless widespead loss of life with no evidence of a sustained solution in sight.

And, btw, I'd rather be 'yee of little faith' than 'yee of blind faith'.

11. Mirza

Mirza New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 7 2006, 11:20 AM) [snapback]299020[/snapback]</div>
    It would take Iran at the VERY minimum five years to even begin to try and make a nuke... assuming they would even try and go for that path. You have little basis for your claim that Iran would go that path... what we need it plenty of debate on Iran and where it's going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAPt7qL5QR0

(Memorize this term: molybdenum)

Also... you need to elaborate on the what you call Clinton's North Korea mess... otherwise it means nothing in debate... I have repeatedly told why I think the statement is utter bull... yet you keep on professing that belief without ever backing it up with logic.

With the justifications given for Iraq... anything is likely to be possible if you nutcase hardliners aren't reeled in.

Back up your argument, else it is meaningless. State the treaties that are being violated... but I will have you know that the Nuclear Non-Proliferation is not one of those violated treaties!

Of course he said it... I've read a couple of those statements... doesn't mean he wants nukes to do it... the hardline rhetoric I think will fall if the world moves towards peace. More and more Muslims are beginning to accept Israel being on the map:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0804/p03s02-ussc.html

And you said Iran was heading towards a democracy... back up your argument, or it's meaningless. I have all the knowledge and links to show you how Iran was a democracy before the Brits and our government got involved.

All I've ever heard from you is a bunch of 'the world is one scary place and we need to mop up everyone who gets in the way of our security in place of theirs' without any arguments that back up your ridiculous assertations.

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 7 2006, 12:01 PM) [snapback]299041[/snapback]</div>
    No need to ramp up - we are already present in multiple areas fighting terrorism - witness a great success today in the Phillipines. And we have hundreds of thousands of troops available. And we need not enter a depression by doing so. The only risk for economical depression is getting hit again by another 9/11

we will disagree about clinton korea i mean north korea - they will not let a nuke loose like iran will to a fellow terrorist and they have no similar china or japan or south korea -- countries with a proven history of actually standing up for themselves. if clinton was to pick a good spot to make a HUGE mistake - he did well by choosing NK.

and how many more UN resolutions would you have wanted. may you could have sent your friends the UNIFL in since they did such a good job in southern lebanon :p

talk talk talk - wake up man - do you not see the connections here - in Hezbo land, in syria in iran -

One question: YOu would let Iran go nuclear?? Thats it one question. And to save time, if the answer is no what would you be willing to do to stop them?

13. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 7 2006, 10:38 AM) [snapback]299029[/snapback]</div>
    So if we bomb Iran. The sh!!ts in Iraq will continue to be our "friends" and Iran will turn in to a democracy?

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never implied or suggested I would let Iran go nuclear...that's a confabulation of your own making.

And I never claimed that just 'talk talk talk' was what is needed. But misdirected action is worse as it turns those who otherwise would be in support of us against us...witness Lebanon, Iraqi Shiits, etc.

Do I see a connection, hell yes, but not the connection b/w 9/11, WMD, Iraq and the current state of affairs. And don't give me the 'attrocities' crap, if we truely cared about that we'd have invaded China long ago and taken some actual action in Africa...but neither of those has or will happen.

I also didn't say anything about wanting more UN resolutions...there's a big difference b/w a forced resolution and actual support and agreement with a plan.

My whole point, btw, in my first post here was that this is the time, if one were a terrorist nation, to launch another major terror attack (did you read my first post in the thread?) And the consquences that would ensue.

15. Mirza

Mirza New Member

16. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

My feeble mind seems to remember something about :
    a stolen election
    a nation bitterly divided
    a selected president going down
    an attack on the WTC
    Bin Laden taking credit while said president allowed the BL family a one way air ticket out of the country

an unprovoked attack on Iraq
    Bush family friend Bin Laden STILL FREEE AND CAUSING TROUBLE 5 YEARS LATER
    a stronger than ever network of anti-American terrorists
    a very weakened USA due to a division of the people, huge debts, no faith left in the office of the Presidency
    an extremely desperate tone of the few bush supporters left

17. Mirza

Mirza New Member

I'll give ya a helpful clue dbermanmd... you're arguing against people with different views on the topics brought up in the thread (save a few like the invasion of Iraq... I don't see a consensus on Iran, for example)... treat them as such ;). For your sake, you're only going making yourself look even more retarded by putting us all in the same exact category.

18. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 7 2006, 12:01 PM) [snapback]299041[/snapback]</div>
    Extremely well said. But all on here should have figured out by now to not bother with dbermanmd. His delusion knows know bounds.

The Iraq war is the single greatest mistake the US has ever made, and unfortunately the magnitude of the mistake is so great that I am not sure there is way out now.

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 7 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]299068[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly B)

Your plan of letting them develop nuclear weapons has what scenario as its end-game?

And which alternative do you prefer?

20. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Aug 7 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]299073[/snapback]</div>
    That pretty well sums it up. What we have to show for the attack on Iraq is internal division where there was once unity, massive debt, dead soldiers, a destabilized middle east, more terrorists, greater hatred for the U.S., and less respect and support from our friends. But the good news, I think Haliburton has done quite well.