1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why are paper bags SOOOO much better than plastic bags?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, May 12, 2007.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Back in my poorer days, I used to use the paper bags for my trash. I would take the full bag out back and burn it in a 55gal drum.. ;)

It would smell horrible when the plastic burned, but I dont think my redneck neighbors minded unless they sobered up on that day other wise they would burn theirs too. :rolleyes:

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i wish i could be in a position to better use plastic as well. we get literally hundreds of them from the grocery store despite having two canvas shopping bags that we use. so we use the plastic bags we do get as garbage bags, (not extremely convenient since they all have holes in them to prevent suffocation hazards but still workable) which means taking out the trash every day which is not a big deal.

i have kicked around the idea of getting a permanent plastic bin that would be used to transport garbage to the dumpster and just rinsing it out when needed. i had a friend once who had a setup like that with some sort of odor control which allowed her to only have to clean the bin occasionally instead of daily and it worked well for her but havent seen her in years and havent seen what she had around, anyone see something like this??

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :lol: :lol:

So Hycam, what was it like being a cop in Mogadishu? ;)

4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you live near a Trader Joe's, they sell a wonderful reusable grocery bag (red, emblazoned with their logo) for about a buck or two. We bought two of them a year ago, and they are our favorite!
    I also bought 5 (buy 4, get one free) "Chico bags" which are cute little ripstop nylon shopping bags that are the same size and shape of the plastic bags, which fold into their own pouch, and are really great! They set me back about $5 each (and, one was free, remember), and the money goes to the low-income women that form the cooperative that makes them. Do a Google search on Chico bags.
    I also have a couple of other cloth bags, and a string bag. All told, I can manage a full grocery trip without using any of their bags! :)

5. jbullard

jbullard New Member

I have one trader joe's bag, and I often forget the damn thing at home and wind up asking for plastic in the checkout line. Pisses me off every time. Next time I go to TraderJoe's I think I will buy a couple more of the cloth bags and work harder not to forget them at home.

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbullard @ Jun 5 2007, 01:41 PM) [snapback]455928[/snapback]</div>
    My wife has about 15 bags that she keeps in her car so she can't forget them. It's worked out pretty well so far. She has had to go back out to the car a few times because she forgot to take them into the store but, that's happening less and less as she gets into the routine.

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Another benefit of Paper Bags is that they taste better. It also takes too long to cook the Plastic Bags.