1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why are so many people Anti-microsoft?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Maytrix, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Did I? Where? :lol:

And it's off... Over the left wall into the streets!

I've stated, how many times, "I don't NEED to". I most certainly COULD figure out how to use Linux (oh yes, did I mention I had a dual boot system once? About 3 years ago, I DID take the time to poke around with it, and I DON'T care for it), but do I sit there with a Linux OS in my home whinnig about it? That's the difference. I DID something about it versus blaming MSFT for my computer woes.

Foo.

;)

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You mean besides their buggy crap products and their restraint of trade practices? Golly, what's not to like about a convicted monopolist?

It's a shame that they were not split into at least two separate companies, one selling OSes, the other selling apps. The companies and their customers would have been better off now through competition.

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Well, Squid, then put me in the same category with jayman.

After developing Windows applications for 15 years, and supporting and using any number of PC test labs, my first-hand experiences parallel Jay's, exactly.

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Done!

Yeah, and there are just as many others that parallel mine...

Then what?

:lol:

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    after 9 pages and one heck of a circle jerk of a conversation...have we accomplished anything?

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    To quote you... This is almost 100% utter BS..

I've spent a lot of time developing on windows. I know how windows internals work. And unless everything you've stuffed onto your hard drive doesn't touch the registry at all, there is no way you haven't experienced a slowdown in bootup time.

Sorry, it just isn't possible to work that way. The larger the registry gets, the longer booting takes. It's just how it works. The entire thing has to be looked at on bootup you know... it doesn't get any faster. Searching through keys doesn't magically stay the same speed as the number of keys increase.

7. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Well your point of view is highly elitist, then... you'd rather the barrier for entry into computers be very high so that people who know what they are doing form an upper class and those who don't are just pond scum...

I have a problem with that... I consider myself very very knowledgable about computers, and I go out of my way to try to educate people about how to use their computers better, but I think it's horrible to look down at people and subconsciously mock them when they fall into common pitfalls like viruses, malware, and worms..

Isn't that it then? Do you pat yourself on the back whenever you hear of some poor ignorant fool catching a worm because you're not him and you're better than him?

Microsoft may not be to blame for everything, but one huge consequence of their design decisions has been to set the barrier for entry for using the computer deceptively low, but the "safe" barrier of entry very high...

the computer is easy enough for people to use for simple stuff, so that attracts a lot of non-saavy people who just want to use the computer as a tool... but that in no way implies that they are "safe"... this is dangerous skill level where people are knowledgable enough to set up the basics of their computer and to use their computer and leave it on all day, but are not quite to the level where they can secure it and prevent system compromise... and it's not a small sliver of the population that falls here.

8. LaughingMan

I have you beat... I did something about it AND I'm blaming Microsoft... I see nothing wrong with criticising microsoft, and yet you seem to think it's some kind of blasphemy

i've been deep enough into the bowels of Windows to realize that it's still quite rickety on a number of levels, and i've seen the devestation that it's caused...

you still use IE, by any chance? Zero day vulnerability today by the way... good luck finding a patch, since there isn't one just yet.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And the patch, partial fix, or workaround, will end up hobbling IE and breaking a lot of web pages. That’s what makes this new one so bad for M$$$. The bloated fat turkey has laid a smelly rotten egg. :huh:

10. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's been a while since I've had to do windows coding, but I hear that certain registries (IIS metabase) are moving to XML files in the future. Do you know if the actual registry is going XML as well?

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There was some babble about that at the last MSDN conference I attended, around a month ago here in Winnipeg. I hate to admit this, but I nodded off.

I do RTOS development, primarily on Wind River VxWorks and QNX Neutrino for embedded industrial sensors and actuators. I actually have little to do with Microsoft client or server systems. Just not my thing, sorry.

The Visual Studio 2005 Team System Beta 2 in my desk drawer supposedly has 3 DVD's that go through all of this. I should perhaps tear off the shrink wrap and play with it.

12. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think so. At least it's quite obvious that everyone has strong opinions about one side or the other (MAC, PC or Linux) and they will pretty much stick to that side. I haven't seen a single changing of opinion.

I asked the original question, because "hate" is a strong word and it seems many mac or linux enthusiasts "hate" microsoft. I'm happen to like Microsoft and many of their products, but I don't "hate" Apple or Linux.

13. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

One minute, people complain about MS including too many apps and such (granted, the way they did this in some cases wasn't right), but the next minute, people complain it should come with anti-virus..etc..etc.

I really think, that no matter what they do, there will always be a group that is unhappy - that's just the way it goes when you have a one-size fits all product. And that's really what Windows is. There's no desktop flavors at all that cater to different groups. Those that don't fit the XP "size", typically become mac or linux users and end up hating and blaming MS.

14. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do. Here's the problem with exploits like this. It involves the user going to a site. Often provided via email or some other means.

What ever happened to "don't talk to strangers" or "don't get into a car with strangers". People need to realize the same applies to the Internet.

1. Don't open emails from unknown sources
    2. If you open the email, certainly don't open the attached file!
    3. Don't click on links if you don't know where they go to!

My point - Most exploits and viruses..etc require end user action. On most of my system at home, I have no AV protection. I've never had a virus, because I am careful.

15. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You've never had a virus because you're f'n lucky. That's the only way I can put it.

Even if you only stick to your familiar sites, you're still vulnerable. One single cross site scripting attack on PriusChat could end up with your computer being wiped out. For every forum you visit, your chances of seeing a cross site scripting attack increase. And at some point an admin is going to be a little slow upgrading his phpBB, phpNuke, or what have you, and someone will be able to exploit a hole, and you'll get nailed.

And what fun is the internet if you only stick to the sites you know? Going out and exploring is half the fun.

16. LaughingMan

Look. I AM ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO CAN RUN A MSFT PC WITH LITTLE TO NO PROBLEMS. I was just making a point that for people that are not like you or I, it's excessively complicated, and you have to jump through a lot of hoops. The difficulty is all relative. EASY FOR YOU OR ME, HARD FOR YOUR GRANDMOTHER.

I love how many PC users can't comprehend that people have less skill than they do, legitimately, and that people DO run computers out there that are completely unprotected.

:angry: :rolleyes:

17. LaughingMan

The really devestating exploits are the ones that require the user to do nothing. In recent memory, there have been at least a half dozen or more of those. And they've caused billions of dollars of damage...

things with names like NIMDA, Code Red, clez, etc etc...

Many of the newer devestating ones are multi-vector...

18. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I admit, I'm lucky when it comes to certain sites, but I'd like to know - how many people get hit with this stuff from visiting sites vs. clicking links in emails designed to take you to exploit sites?? I think the latter is the biggest cause.

As far as everything else, luck has nothing to do with it. It's education and knowing what's ok and what's not. I did once get hit with a virus on my laptop (which I actually do have AV on), although it was new and I didn't get to it yet at this point. The ONLY reason I got hit was because I didn't have all the updates yet and I plugged it into an unprotected internet connection. I got slammed immediately.

19. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I hear ya, but I also have to add that I don't think those people would have an easier time on a MAC or Linux. Some people just don't get it. My parents (unfortunately for me) are 2 of them. Others get it just enough and the rest read or take training courses.

20. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True, but most of THOSE needed specific access or systems that were out of date. My point is simply that 99% of the viruses, exploits..etc out there can be avoided even without basic protection. The rest can be avoided with 3 simple things:

1. Firewall
    2. AV Software
    3. Up to date software