1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why are so many people in a hurry for 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rcbookie, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Bruno_S

Bruno_S New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Because my lease expires in a week and needed a new car. Good that the 2010 model came out so early. If not I would be driving a BMW 335d that was my other green option.

2. tv5cents

tv5cents Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What he said. . . .

3. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I needed to replace my older car now, so this makes sense to buy at this time. When the plug in comes out (probably 2-3 years) My older Prius will need replacing. So timing looks good for me on both counts.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The 2001 Echo had done good but at 9 years, it was getting a little long in the tooth. I wanted to give my wife a much better car and the 2010 Prius is exactly what we needed.

Bob Wilson

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because the plug-in is further away than that,
    because the first good plug-ins won't be a good fit for me,
    because like other Washington state residents, I want to beat the
    9.5% price increase when the sales tax exemption expires six weeks from now.

1 person likes this.
  6. gofast

gofast Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are a lot of unknowns with the plug in. To produce thousands of lithum batteries for thousands of cars. I do not know about that and it could be like this next year. 24,000.00 for non plug in. 30,0000.00 and up for plug in with the Lithum Battery. With the Chevy Volt at 30,000.00 Why would Toyota not just match it in price. You could get,:bump2:

7. minime

minime New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was hoping that my next car would be an all electric vehicle that I could afford, I could also drive my family in, and have a renewable energy electric service, like the company Better Place is starting to develop, to make an all electric car more appealing to me.

I think that's at least 3-5 years away so I bought the 2010 Prius and haven't regretted doing it for one minute. The car is excellent.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  9. wave_slider

wave_slider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a lot of experience with the gen II as I work at the dealership. After our 5 hour class about the gen III I was sold. It is just so much of an improvement over already great and proven technology. I've been wanting a hybrid for so long and this one just put me over the edge.

I can't wait till next month. I just took it on a 8 mile drive today and got 68 mpg's with a mix of highway/city driving. Just a snapshot of what the new Prius is capable of doing.

10. Runabout

Runabout Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I needed a car to start a new job and needed one quickly. I was lucky enough that a dealer found an unclaimed PII coming in time...

11. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because Toyota claims that they designed the gen3 to accommodate a larger lithium battery. There are already companies that are converting Prii into plug-ins and I think at least initially the price for the plug in package is going to be near what it costs to just have it done. I'm not sure, but I think the new battery might be sorta close to what they put in many plugins. I am going to wait for them to get some 2010's converted before I inquire.

12. RoyalBlue

RoyalBlue New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no idea why you should want a plug-in version. The Prius is not an electric car like a Tesla. The battery capacity is very limited (1.3 kWh), and it will take you about 1 mile or so. That is a distance you should walk, not drive :). The battery is used as a kind of capacitor. It is able to give you a lot of power for a very short time. Even if the new Lion batteries have a bit more capacity, this will not change. So charging the batteries with a plug-in loader is rather pointless in my view.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Obviously not a Toyota owner before Prius either.

14. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    By their own admissions, closer to $40,000

15. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Forget the plugin, part. Just having Toyota moving to Lion might be a major upgrade. Just look at the Merc s400. A mammoth with a 33 mpg highway is really great for a mild hybird. Now imagine a Prius with Lion getting mpg improvement.

Lion batteries captures a lot more energy than NiMH.

16. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My reasons were a bit simpler - I wanted it and I could afford it.

That, and the 2002 was approaching 7 years old and starting to develop the "little" problems that older cars that sit in the sun develop.,

17. asv

asv New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have no interest in a "plug in" option.

18. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We were trying to hold out for a PHEV but with my Mercedes wagon with 316,000 miles and the seats starting to split, Jean's Sentra has lost some flywheel teeth, we just couldn't wait any longer. If I KNEW that a plug-in was right around the corner we could have held out a little longer. I haven't had a new car in several decades so it is such a blast driving this new Toy! But as much as I like this ride, I'll trade it in the day I can buy a PHEV that I can afford, and I'm hopeful that it will be a Toyota.

radio