1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why are used 2010's much lower than 2011 and 2012?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mrstop, Jul 11, 2012.

1. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in the market for a 3rd gen Prius. It seems like used 2011 are listed closer in price (sometimes more at my local dealer :confused:) as a new 2012. However, 2010's are considerably less with several in the $15K to $20K range even with lower miles. Is this due to issues with the first year model, or does the Prius really drop that much in the third year as it comes off or is nearing the end of its warranty?

I was considering a new 3 model, but picking up a used one with the depreciation hit already taken sounds enticing.

2. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think that's a good choice than buying new, unless you get 0 interest rates for 6 years, which does not exist anymore.

3. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Because they are one or two years older.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Our 2010 3/36,000 warranty expired in May. Over time, more will expire. However, you might want to take a peek at the 2009 model year.

The last of the 1.5L Prius, it has all of the factory installed updates and upgrades. Bought from a dealer, you should still have drive train and HV warranty for a good price. Calculating the Hogan:
    • 108 ft{3} * 46 MPG (*) = 4,968 ($18,304 Kelly Certified Pre-Owned, 60,000 mi) 1.5L
    • 116 ft{3} * 50 MPG (*) = 5,800 ($20,732 Kelly Certified Pre-Owned, 45,000 mi) 1.8L
    * - 48.7 MPG (33 vehicles, 2009), 49.4 (165 vehicles, 2010)

If you expect to do a lot of +65 mph highway driving and tall hills, the 1.8L 2010-2012 Prius will handle the heavy loads better. But if you're mostly on flatland and urban highways and streets, the 1.5L would be an excellent choice and likely to have more 'creature comforts.'

Since you live in California, a lot of Prius came off of the HOV stickers. Shop around and you can save a bundle. I noticed from GasBuddy your area gas prices have softened so Prius prices should start to show some relief. If you buy from a dealer, the last week of the month is a buyer's market.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

5. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True, I expect depreciation. It just seemed like a rapid acceleration in depreciation from a used 1 year to 2 year old. Trying to figure out if this is a normal phenomenon for Prii, or unique to the 2o10 model due to its first year.

I am also surprised at the number of used 1-2 year old Prii on the market. Do a lot of Prius owners trade-in every year to stay in warranty or upgrade to model year improvements, or are do they abandon the model for others?

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Harder to do but you might plot Prius availability as a function of gas prices and be sure to track via the five PADD regions: East Coast, Gulf Coast, Midwest, Mountain West, and West Coast. Then there are the wild-cards:
    • plug-ins - Volt, Fisker and Prius
    • EVs - Leaf and others
    • diesels - same order of magnitude as the EVs and plug-ins.
    Bob Wilson

7. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm pretty set on the 1.8L. I plan on using it as alternative family hauler on some longer trips instead of our Odyssey when we don't need the extra space of a van. The extra room and power on the Gen III will come in handy.

I'm not a CA resident. Used to live there, but married a girl from the midwest... A small trade in weather for a better cost and standard of living I guess:cool:.

8. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How did you know I'm a researcher by trade;) ? Your proposition is very tempting. Must resist...need...to compile...data...plot...

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good choice and you have one other option with the 1.8L, a tow bar and small trailer. This let's you haul 'home stuff' around, Jon boat size trailer, or other infrequently used, over sized loads.

One thing, the very first model year, there were a number of 'fixes' to creature comforts. Look for things like iPad and MP-3 interfaces. My early 2010 uses an after-market unit that is OK but not optimal. Also, I found in June 2009 that I had to change cell phones to get one that would Bluetooth pair-up. Not a big deal but something to remember.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

10. colbertfan1

colbertfan1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife and I just purchased a used 2010 Prius 2 with 14K miles on it. It is going to be the gas saver compared to our gas hog (Odyssey). I considered a new and used Prius and went with a used one because of the depreciation factor. Ours had such low mileage that I look at it as if someone broke the car in for me and now it is mine to enjoy. I live in Cincinnati and there are plenty of used prii available. It took me a month or two to find a good deal, but my patience paid off. Best of luck.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! I couldn't believe how bad the mileage on the Odyssey is. I just started tracking it in Fuelly and installed an UltraGauge. I thought I was in the low-mid 20's but I have been more like 18 (mostly city). Factor in the speedometer inaccuracy and it is much worse.

I'm going to start looking out at the used I think. It seems that most of the differences, aside from subtle cosmetics I would likely upgrade even if I bought new anyway (sound system (with bluetooth, usb, backup cam), noise suppression, chassis bars, etc). Plus, I may be able pick up the Blue Ribbon metallic our favorite, but discontinued, color. I think there were also some redesigns on the intake manifold and motor mount, but those hopefully were already handled or can be easily swapped out.

The SKS comes with all packages but you need to have the Prius 4 to get 3 door SKS, correct?

12. colbertfan1

colbertfan1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you are making the right choice. Both by buying used and doing some of the upgrades yourself. We are installing leather through Classic Soft Trim next week. Aside from that, the level two prius was all we really needed. I didn't feel it was worth it for some of the other options, at least for us. We have navigation on our phones, don't really use bluetooth, the rearview camera would be nice - but not for the amount they charge, and I don't really use the sunroofs I have had in the past all that much. To each his own though. I think that whatever you get you will enjoy.

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Are you sure the cheaper '10's are the same package? Used car listings are very inaccurate. 3 door SKS is on the IV & V only. There were 3 steps & price adjustments in the 2010 MY. Early production does not have the USB port at the back of the center armrest. Middle production has the USB but not Safety Connect (roof panel by the rear view mirror). By November/December 2009 Safety Connect was added. The brake ECU was reflashed later. For earlier production it is up to the owner. I don't know when the new firmware went into production cars.

I don't know about any changes to the motor mounts or manifold. The only recall is the brake ECU reflash (of dubious value IMO).

The Gen3's FE improvement is insignificant as is any increase in cargo capacity. Either Gen is an excellent car but the 2010 V-AT is unique. The package changed for 2011.

Three year leases on the 2010 MY are expiring. If it is going to cost almost as much to buy the '10 why not buy a new one?

The 2010 MY Prius was the victim of hard luck. The MY starts early so Toyota has something new to compete with Honda's new Insight (dubbed the "Prius Killer" or "Poor Man's Prius".) We all know how THAT turned out. This is also the year the economy tanks and it is a very hard cold winter the likes of which the Gen2 didn't experience. 2010 continues with a spectacular fire in a Lexus due to SUV floormats trapping the pedal & the driver not knowing to shift the car to neutral to stop. This is followed up with Mr. Sikes' "runaway Prius" fraud. (My opinion now:) A number of newbie hybrid owners then whine about the brakes. Either they aren't pressing hard enough on the pedal or (generally) older people are pressing on the gas by mistake & crashing into things.

The auto industry tanks. The Prius can be bought at INVOICE which was unthinkable for every other MY. Cash for Clunkers causes the inventory to evaporate then the earthquake & tsunami shut down plants. Production of IVs & Vs is suspended the longest due to supply problems.

Figure out what you need & want then best wishes for finding that car at a good price.

cwerdna and WE0H like this.
  14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Who? OP's info says Ohio.
    I'm glad you're tracking it. It annoys many of us when people compare apples vs. oranges (e.g. an EPA number on their current/previous car vs. what they get on their Prius). Sometimes, they assert their previous car got (insert EPA number here), when they actually had no idea.

Correct. On '10 and '11, models below IV (Four) come only w/1-door SKS.

15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pop for a new one :)

You wont regret it.

Mike

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, re: JimN's comments on price and equipment changes depending on how early of a '10 it was.

Toyota raised prices several times on the Prius somewhere within the '10 and ''11 model years and again w/'12 (Toyota raises prices on 2012 Prius by between $480 and $1,045). But, on '12, they made a whole bunch of changes related to the standard equipment on each model/level and what options were available.

Toyota Vehicles : Toyota Announces Prices for 2010 Prius / Toyota were the initial prices and packages for the '10. There's no mention of USB yet since those vehicles didn't come with it. Basically, that matrix (other than the prices and USB) are right for '10 and '11.

17. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would never buy the first year of a new model, I think you would end up in the long run happier with a new one, and a full new car warranty. My hunch that it would be worth the extra 5K.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there were a lot of complaints of cold weather rattles in the 2010. wait until this winter and take them for a test drive on a bumpy road.

19. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're probably right. When I ran a new search, I don't think they were as low as I originally thought. Rented a 2012 this weekend and pretty much settled that is what we are going to do. We just need to decide on color and find the right price.

20. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmm. 2010 III was initially $23,000. CARS leases are expiring and the basic warranty's up. In your state the hybrid warranty will be 8/100k.

Assumptions:
    $5k value after 10 years (Gen 1 Prius was $4k)
    8 year battery life with replacement cost $3.5k. (That's being pessimistic on the battery life, by the way).
    2010 III MSRP $23,000 (inc delivery)

Then after 3 years with linear depreciation I get $17,337.50

If you're buying used and going for the III, I'd say go for the cheap 2010s.