1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why are we californians so shortsighted? Prop 87 goes down.

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Nov 8, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 12 2006, 12:59 AM) [snapback]347715[/snapback]</div>
    "New state revenues—depending on the interpretation of the measure—from about $225 million to $485 million annually from the imposition of a severance tax on oil production, to be used to fund $4 billion in new alternative energy programs over time."

Yeah, 4 billion dollars over 10 years is a major drain on the taxpayers while 387 billion dollars spent on the futile misadventure in Iraq over 3 1/2 years is what? Good entertainment for the nightly news?

The skewed perception of relativeness is breathtaking.

2. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Didn't california vote in 3 billion for embryo stem cell research in the last election.

I think that's it. Ya'll spent the wad down that fruitless toilet, there is no money left to save the planet.

Who'd a thunk that the majority of california voters were retarded. Goes to show what you can learn on Prius Chat.

3. ambrothe

ambrothe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Nov 8 2006, 10:30 PM) [snapback]345946[/snapback]</div>
    Why don't we stop for a minute and reword the original poster's question entirely? The use of the word "retarded" to represent stupidity, ignorance, etc is incredibly offensive. As a person who works with adults with disabilities in the community setting, it is very disheartening to see/hear anyone use that term as any type of slur. Many people with mental retardation are some of the most incredible, inspirational, and outgoing people you could ever hope to meet.

Please think of who you are bringing down before you use that word in a derogatory context again.

4. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Nov 9 2006, 09:40 AM) [snapback]346226[/snapback]</div>
    burritos,

You would get a kick out of the Dish Network pay per view movie about ENRON (no longer available, might be on video). WOW, what an abuse of public ignorance (lack of knowledge). Even the politicians didn' t even know what hit them until it was too late. I don't know anything about energy or California politics, but "de-regulation" of electicity? Who came up with that? Could it be those people spending millions to get it de-regulated? Is this so that they can do what ever they want? Hum?
    According to this movie (documentary?), ENRON traders exaggerated the situation and created the rolling blackouts by limiting the distribution and generation of power. I could be wrong since I was baby sitting at the time of viewing. You would be really, ticked off at the energy industry if you saw this movie (if it is true). Oh, the ring leader Ken Lay did not even get convicted because he died. The charges were dropped because you cannot convict a dead person. Well, the millions he stole from Californians and the rest of America still stays with his family since he was not convicted.

I think this is great that people at PC are talking about this topic. With knowedge comes power and responsibility. As a healthcare professional, I see a lot pof people do ignorant and stupid things. Because of my profession it is my duty to inform and educate the public.

I'm willing to pay the $ premium so that the next generation of my children will have a place to enjoy. Yes, that even means paying MSPR for my PRIUS that I enjoy. I still remember the 1970's commercial of a grandchild walking along the beach with her grandfather. Both wearing what seemed to be gas masks because the air is so poor. As a young child it made an impact on me.

Got to love living in Nebraska. On my commute I can see into the horizon without smog. Occationally, the moring fog will dampen things a little.

Bust of luck California! The rest of us will benefit from your lead!

P.S. Hey, if someone can prove that smog causes lung cancer, do you think the petro industry would have to pay fines like the tobacco companies? Oh yeah, we would not want that because the price of gasoline would go up. Or do we care? Once I get my all electric PRIUS I don't think I will worry about gasoline. What are you waiting on Toyota, make the electric PRIUS already or I will get my Tesla?

example of an MSDS for gasoline. (just a small sample)
    Contains benzene, which has been classified as a carcinogen by the National Toxicology Program (NTP) and a Group 1 carcinogen (carcinogenic to humans) by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
    Contains ethylbenzene which has been classified as a Group 2B carcinogen (possibly carcinogenic to humans) by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).

http://www.albina.com/Fuel/ChevronRUGasMSDS.htm

Contains naphthalene, which has been classified as a Group 2B carcinogen (possibly carcinogenic to humans) by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).

Whole gasoline exhaust has been classified as a Group 2B carcinogen (possibly carcinogenic to humans) by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hard_working_student @ Nov 14 2006, 12:22 AM) [snapback]348595[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, that's pretty much what happened. Californians have never been adequately paid back of the money that was "stolen". And our economy has continued to suffer as a fallout of this crime.

I believe Ken Lay WAS convicted along with others. But....he died either before sentencing or while waiting for an appeal before beginning his sentence. Don't remember which. But he was guilty and the people of California never got the satisfaction of him paying his dues in prison. Of course, I would have liked to see his lifespan extended several centuries provided he spent them ALL in a cell with no heat on a steady diet of bread and water.

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hard_working_student @ Nov 13 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]348595[/snapback]</div>
    He lost most of that money paying lawyers to defend his worthless (ha! couldn't resist) arse. Sold off homes and the like. Life has an interesting way to delivering consequences.

Skilling (sp?) was just given 24 years.

7. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Nov 13 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]348454[/snapback]</div>
    You missed the point - completely.

Why not tax "imported oil" - not oil "extracted in CA"?

Prop. 87 would serve to increase our reliance on imported oil. Your argument about Iraq, while reasonable, really has nothing to do with prop 87 - except to further my point. Look where reliance on foreign oil has gotten us. And you would like to have us pass a proposition that would very likely increase our reliance?

The lack of ability to consider the full range of consequences of poorly written legislation is breathtaking.

8. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 14 2006, 02:01 PM) [snapback]348868[/snapback]</div>
    I see you're regurgitating the partyline soundbites from the oil companies. You probably also believe that 100 million dollar ad blitz was for your own economic benefit, and you probably believe they give a rat's nice person about how much foreign oil is imported too, right?

I think the the reliance of oil itself lends to our reliance of foreign oil. We use more oil, we need more oil. That extra oil ain't coming from California. We need to decrease our dependence on oil. To do this we need to invest in alternative energies. If you want to tax ALL oil, I'm for it. Hell, make it 5 dollars a gallon. I'm all for it. That's just not going to happen. There are too many special interests/lobbies in Washington that would ever allow a tax on saudi oil or any foregin oil. Plus americans who live on the financial brink just don't want to make the sacrifice. We must make significant investments in alternative energy. Here was an opportunity for the people of california to actually make a decision about this issue instead your typical corporate board meetings making all the decisions for us. We took the step in the wrong direction.

9. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Nov 15 2006, 11:01 AM) [snapback]349619[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, burritos, I think we get it: You don't like the fact that Californians voted down prop 87 and you think we're retarded and shortsighted.

People have already stated their position on the subject, and attempting to beat them over the head with how right you think you are and how wrong they are is probably not going to change any minds, right?

So, might I suggest that you stop bumping the thread and just give the subject a rest? :)

Thanks,

Vince

10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Nov 15 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]349734[/snapback]</div>
    Prior to this post, I've only responded twice in the last 3 days and only twice in the last 10 posts. Why aren't you telling the other posters not to bump the thread. Tell you what. You don't like what I have to say. Don't click on the thread. It's really not that hard. :)

11. LongRun

LongRun New Member

The problem with California and the energy problems are that politicians are elected with party money. They don't have to have any qualifications, except party support and money. When they come up against business exec's they loose. Simple. On top of that Gov Davis had many secret meetings and tried to wiggle his way through the problems. Ken Lay was fighting an unarmed man.