1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why are you keeping your 4th gen Prime?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Andy2, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Andy2

Andy2 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    My reasons:
    - prefer sedan-with-hatch shape and taller sitting position
    - 4th gen meets my needs with its ev capacity, and prefer to run engine occasionally when ev runs out
    - my Prime is 2022 so don’t want to pay for a new car again
    - can always update in a few years if 5th gen proves to be highly rated
    - I’m not feeling in need of much more hp (although I’m not often on the highway)
    - very happy after one year of driving 4th gen

Your reasons?

2. MrHockey

MrHockey Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    All the same reasons. In addition, I put a hitch on mine for a car rack, and I also added signal light wiring in the event I want to tow some thing. I also bought a Thule rack for my kayak, and skis. All of that cost a couple of thousand dollars. So I feeling I’ve got an invested in the vehicle. Also, I have a full set of snow tires on rims and a spare snow tire and a spare regular tire mounted in the event we go on a long road trip and want a spare tire. I just saw a review of the newest generation Prius prime on road and driver. Other than more EV range, they said the vehicle is basically identical.

TGrracie and Andy2 like this.
  3. GSK

GSK Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    what is a 4th gen Prime? Are you referring to the new design of the 2023 Prime? I really dislike it, I think the Prius has always stood out with it's unique style, but the new model looks like so many other cars now. It reminds me of the Dodge Dart or something, or even the Corolla. I've always thought the Prius Prime was one of the best looking cars I've ever seen, and now it just seems rather ordinary. Even the cool colors like Titanium Glow and the Blue are gone! And I am really bothered for some reason by the interior, with the shifter being moved from the dash (where it's been for years) to between the seats. But the updated tech looks really great, as does the increased EV range. But I'm also disappointed that the overall mpg is lower, the increased ground clearance would be nice though!

#3 GSK, Apr 7, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
    Louis19, TGrracie and ems2158 like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    4th gen = 2017-22

5th gen = 2023 - ?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I think something bad happened, when they started referring to the third gen Prius with plug-in, as "first gen". And then the fourth gen with plug-in (aka Prius Prime) was 2nd gen? or was it first gen "Prime". :confused:

TGrracie and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota has made a lot of naming mistakes along the way, confusing many vehicle models

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Gen4 is 2016-2022

JeffD

8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For Prius Prime, there was no 2016 MY.

TGrracie likes this.
  9. Andy2

Andy2 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    So, I’d like to hear from more Prime owners as to whether they are going to go with new Prime or, if not, why not?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Theoretically, if I owned one, my biggest considerations would be the extended range and lower hatch floor.
    Opposing those would be lower roof, narrower hatch and 17” wheels

Andy2 likes this.
  11. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    To me, the 2017-2022 Prius Prime is the First Generation named Prius Prime. The 2012-16 Prius Plug-In was name Prius Plug-In. TOmato, TomAto.

That said I plan on keeping my 2017 Prius Prime with 42k miles. Complements my 2012 Model S very well.

20230407_115608.jpg

GSK, Andy2 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. Northerner

Northerner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I consider my 2020 Prime to be my last gas car purchase of any kind. In fact, my garage has been wired now for 2 fully electric cars at 220 V, up to 50 amps. Purchasing my first fully electric car will almost certainly involve replacing my wife's 2015 Honda CRV -but we're not ready to do that yet. It doesn't make much sense since it performs well and she drives it only 4000 miles/year. We might get her a fairly cheap electric with limited range and keep driving the Prime on longer trips until it feels antiquated. The Prime still feels very modern to me since I moved up from a stripped down 2009 Ford Focus!

Andy2 likes this.
  13. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I already sold my 2021 PP 4 months ago and traded to 2022 Escape PHEV for a longer EV range and bigger cargo space. Not necessarily better fuel efficiency, but we consolidated two cars, PP and Pathfinder Hybrid, into one car.

No plan to acquire all new 23 PP. But if I have to get another car, it will likely be a Bolt on a cheap.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. TGrracie

TGrracie Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm still enjoying my car way too much to even think about trading it in.

Andy2 likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Already have an EV. No need to replace the Gen 4. Actually driving the Gen 4 over the last few days, the difference in weight btwn the EV6 and Gen 4 Touring is noticeable. Even though the EV6 is tuned by a BMW engineer, the Gen 4 has significantly reduced body roll. The suspension feels stiffer than the EV6 though but cornering, I’d give the nod to the Gen 4. It definitely feels sportier than the Prime, of course. The Prime was tuned for comfort and felt more comfortable than the Gen 4 Touring.

Andy2 likes this.
  16. jw_teacher

jw_teacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The features I want for the Gen 5 Prius Prime are mixed between all three versions. I want the smaller wheels and infotainment center, but I also love Smart Keys that open anywhere and prefer the Softex seats. If I'm paying $35,000 for a new vehicle, I do not want to compromise.

Like Northerner, the gen 4 will probably be my last hybrid. I want to make the transition to all-electric.

Andy2 and bisco like this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I don’t have a Prime but a PiP, but I still see some advantages to choosing a 2020-2022 Prime over the Gen 5 (excluding the early 4-seaters since that is a showstopper for me):

1. Slightly more efficient
    2. More practical headroom in rear
    3. Lower cost “normal” 15” tires (could keep my same winter rims & tires…)
    4. Established track record of rock solid reliability
    5. The most cost effective vehicle is usually the one you already own (if you have one!). ;)

If the used market were “normal” and I could get a “previously enjoyed” 20-22 Prime for a “good” price, I would still seriously consider it since it honestly still meets my needs (power/space/practicality), as much as I would miss the greatly improved infotainment, wireless CarPlay, more hp and other luxuries. However, with vehicle prices what they are, paying the “small” premium for a Gen 5 (with more features… and my dealer sells at MSRP) makes more sense compared to buying used for equal or more than it was new (with less or minimal warranty)… well at least, as much sense as buying a brand NEW car can, which is a luxury no matter how you look it… o_O

My $0.02…(y)

18. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Instead of getting the new 2023 PP, here's why I'm keeping my 2017 PP - it's paid for, 43k miles, meets my family's transportation needs, complements my Model S.

PS - the maintenance costs I'm saving on my PP are used on the Model S :)

20230407_115608.jpg

19. plug-one-in

plug-one-in Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    i have 2017 prius prime: 63K miles. will keep it for a while. I don't need the extra 14 to19 miles EV. my daily commute is all EV already. also, don't need the extra horsepower/faster 0-60 time. i am quite happy with my prius prime: low maintenance, reliable.

20. DukeofPrime

DukeofPrime Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    As a short legged, tall person (6'4"), I'm afraid I will not fit in the new Prime, and I'm really doubtful I'll ever find a brand new one for ~10k off msrp (rebate+tax credit) like my 2021. One of the reasons I bought the Prime was for expected longevity so dumping it after 2 years isn't in the plan.

Andy2, Sarge and bisco like this.