1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why are you waiting for a Prius??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bcool, Nov 12, 2004.

1. bcool

bcool New Member

Well, I've been lurking on this site for a month now, gathering the information I needed to take the "Prius Plunge"...and thanks to all of you, tonight I'm the proud owner of a Salsa Red, BC package, MSRP 2005 after waiting only 30 days!

I want to thank all of you for the suggestions, hints, tips, and whatnot you've provided me - it really made this the easiest car purchase I've ever made!

It all started on October 12, when I sent emails to dealers in the St. Louis area (and a few in the hinterlands, as well - per suggestions from PriusChat members). The responses that I got back from the St. Louis dealers ranged from 6 month waits, to a bizarre, "no wait list", whoever-makes-it-to-the-dealer-first-when-we-get-one-in policy. But then, I got a reply from Bob Hecht at Dan Hecht Toyota in Effingham, IL (about a 2 hour drive east of St. Louis). Bob said that, no, they didn't have anybody on their waiting list, and if I'd put down a $500 deposit I'd get first pick of the anticipated 2-4 deliveries they get every month. And, they only charged MSRP! I went ahead and put down the deposit, and a day or so later he said that they were getting one in with the AM package. I said that I wanted the BC package, preferably in Salsa Red. He said that they get an allocation every 15 days, so I decided to wait & see what happened. Well, true to his word, he called back in about 2 weeks & said they were getting the exact car that I wanted in! (Well, not quite - it came with a cargo net, but I was thinking about getting one anyway).

To make a long story short, I HIGHLY recommend anyone in the area talk to Bob Hecht - you may get one in sooner, and you'll only pay MSRP for it!

And, thanks to Troy([email protected]), when the finance guy tried to sell me the Platinum 6/100 warranty for $1350, I told him I could get it elsewhere for $870, and he went ahead & met the price (all the while moaning and groaning that he was only going to make $50 on it). He didn't offer the prepaid maintenance to me, so I'm going to buy it from Troy when I get home.

Another savings - since I came in pre-approved with a loan from another lender, they offered me a loan through US Bank at a slightly better rate.

The one downside is that they only offered me wholesale for my old car, which is in pristine condition. However, that wasn't a big surprise, so we ended up driving both cars back home and I'll try to sell it on my own.

We're staying in beautiful Effingham, IL :) tonight, after driving it around town to familiarize ourselves with it. This was the first car that we've ever bought (#10) that we haven't even taken for a test drive. I felt comfortable doing that because of all the excellent posters here - for which I'm eternally grateful! We're leaving early tomorrow morning to return to St. Louis. We decided to stay the night in case we encountered a problem with the Prius - that way, we could take it back to the dealer on Saturday before we began the drive home.

And, I have to say, this is the absolutely COOLEST car I have ever owned! We had so much fun driving around and being amazed by all the techno-features - especially the voice nav system (hey, we're both geeks, so what do you expect??). I can't wait to get home and spend some quality time with it in the driveway playing with the nav system :D

So, a million thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement!!

2. VARedDevil

VARedDevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Congrats on your new Prius. It pays to look around. I got one at a first-come, first-serve dealer...It was what I wanted and in the color my wife wanted. We were very fortunate. What was nice about that, we only had to wait about 2 hours to get it, vice months.

Enjoy the car, I know you will.

Red

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations!