1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why can Prius ICE be shut down but regular engine cannot?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by THF, Sep 8, 2013.

1. THF

THF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ALl right.... I have the basics of this. Regular vehicles have one engine, they have a starter and if you shut down the car, everything goes off. And the ICE runs the entire time the vehicle is on, even if it's not moving, to power everything.
    What causes the Prius to be able to operate with it's engine off? Obviously, it is the hybrid technology - but why does the engine not need a starter? That's my main question. If the Prius does not need a starter, could regular vehicles be retrofitted with this?
    In other words, what I'm suggesting is that regular ICE vehicles could be equipped with whatever technology the Prius has that enables it to start without a starter, be given a larger battery (or just another battery, whatever was necessary), and this vehicle would then be able to shut the engine down when not needed. I'm not sure how this could be accomplished, or how much gas it would save, but if you are braking or stopped, the engine does not need to be running, wasting fuel.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The technology has been wide spread in gas-electric hybrids but has now moved over to conventional vehicles to improve mileage and lower emissions by shutting off the engine when it's not being used. Instead, the car's systems, such as stereo, heater or air conditioner, gauges, lights and windshield wipers run directly from the battery, while the engine is off.

Why Our Favorite Vehicles Are Conking Out at Red Lights

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    cwerdna likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is worth noting that Motor/Generator 1 in the Prius acts as a starter, a generator, and (in Heretical mode) as a propulsion motor, so it is not true the Prius has no starter, just not a dedicated starter.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    For an example of what you might be thinking of, look at the Malibu BAS system from I think a generation ago. GM tried to sell it for $1000 - $2000 more than their conventional model, but since it only increased fuel economy 5-10% it was a failure.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. Those mild-hybrids were a total failure in sales (and their batteries apparently were crap too).

Now they sell 2nd generation BAS mild hybrids and don't even use the word hybrid in the model's name (e.g. Malibu Eco, Lacrosee eAssist). Now they're #3 in hybrids sales and being even Honda. See August 2013 Dashboard - HybridCars.com.

BAS Hybrid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has some more info, but I don't know how accurate all of it is.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Panamera may win that at 103 MPH. (when deaccelerating)

But basically the article is about start/stop which is all about not idling.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Decent article but there are some weird typos and possibly copy and paste errors in there.

I thought the article made an error about 2nd gen BAS being 115 volts, as I thought they stuck w/the 36 volts employed by 1st gen BAS mild hybrids. I guess I was wrong. http://www.evsafetytraining.org/~/media/Electric Vehicle/Chevrolet Malibu Eco ERG.pdf mentions 130 volts.

In my search, I also stumbled across some interesting tidbits at http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfleet/global/master/nscwebsite/en/Home/Shared_Resources/PDFs/GMC1-12-01151-229-eAssist.pdf. Of particular note is that the ICE will NOT shutdown if it's any other gear other than drive (e.g. Park).

11. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The ICE in a regular car doesn't need to be on to power everything. There are people who remove the alternator to reduce engine load (they generally use a deep cycle battery and charge at home). There are also others who manually turn off their engines while coasting and/or stopped. The Prius just makes it easier for the average person to do (and you have some electric assist). Plus regular starters probably wouldn't last quite as long.

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think the best explanation of the Prius operation is in the graphics in this link. you can play with the sliders and see how they affect road speed and engine speed and even reverse.
    Toyota Prius - Power Split Device

John (Britprius)

Data Daedalus likes this.